Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2004, 07:43   #16
Senior Member+

Accrington Pals - memorial in Church Street

The memorial is being officially unveiled on Sunday, as part of the Hyndburn 30th anniversary celebrations, at about 4.30pm I believe.
It should be quite a good event, and representatives from the army are
expected to be there.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-07-2004, 09:35   #17

Re: Accrington Pals.

It would be nice if someone could capture the event and post a few photos for those members of this forum who are either overseas, or unable to attend.

I hope it is a suitable tribute to the Accrington Pals battalion.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:55   #18
Resting in Peace

here are the ones i took today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (81.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (70.5 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (80.7 KB, 47 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 11:38   #19
Resident Waffler

Great photos Mick. I saw it as we passed by in a bus but haven't had time to go for a closer look yet.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 11:52   #20

Well done Mick.

A picture's worth a 1000 words.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:59   #21
mez
God Member

thanks mick, as usual your on the ball, i quite like the monument , its about time they did erect one nr the town so we can remember them//
Old 01-07-2004, 23:36   #22
Member.

Thanks Mick,

I hope to get to the unveiling on Sunday. My grandfather (an Accrington lad) wasn't with the Regiment, but served along side in the field with the 13th Batt, the Kings Liverpool Regiment until loosing a leg in 1917. He went on serving with the 22nd Labour Corps until the Armistice.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 06:01   #23

Title: Pals. the 11th (Service) Battalion (Accrington), East Lancashire Regiment
Author/editor: Turner. William.
Publication details: Wharnecliffe Publishing Ltd.
First Published 1987, Third Impression 1998
256p

Is a must have for genealogists. The book follows the battalion from start to end and includes many photographs and accounts written by a few of the men.

The appendices contains a list of N.C.O's and other ranks who served in the Battalion, and an indication of whether killed in action or wounded. Includes listings on memorials. A rich source of named individuals for the genealogist.

Congratulations to William Turner on a well researched publication.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:42   #24

On 1st July 1916 at around 7:20 am, which would have been 88 years ago yesterday, 720 Accrington Pals went over the top on the first day of the Battle of the Somme, near Serre.

About 580 were either killed, wounded or were missing. So it is a fitting tribute that Accrington has erected a momument in their memory.

How strange that six months later, one war poet by the name of Wilfred Owen, was in the exact same location as the Accrington Pals, and made his way straight down Sackville street and then onto a Boche dugout in no mans land opposite the 'Heidenkopf' (http://www.1914-18.co.uk/woa/dug%20out%20text.htm)

His experience can be read in his famous poem 'The Sentry', a read on...
http://www.englishverse.com/poems/the_sentry

Last edited by Weary Tourist; 02-07-2004 at 06:43. Reason: spelling correction
Weary Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 08:28   #25
Senior Member+

Accrington Pals Exhibition at Oswaldtwistle Mills

Todays Observer carries a story about a new exhibition which is now on at Oswaldtwistle Mills.

A collection of more than 40 photographs and a list of soldiers names are on display. Also can be seen recruitment posters, post-cards from soldiers to their families etc. etc. If you have any photos of The Pals you would like to donate to Mr Bill Turner for this exhibition or to be placed in Accrington Local Studies Library, please let me know.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:14   #26
Junior Member+

Hi Atarah,
I` don’t know if I have a relative who was in the Accrington Pals, My grandfather Christopher Boardman served with the East Lanc`s in World War 2 and won the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) one below the Victoria Cross (VC) which I’m very proud of.
My Father John Boardman also served with The East Lanc`s, The Lancashire Regiment (PWV) & The Queen’s Lancashire Regiment (1-QLR) has did I.
My Father now sadly is deceased (+1994)
My Great Grandfather was called Thomas Boardman but nobody knows anything about him.
I’ve looked on the Pals roll of honour & found a Thomas Boardman who served with the Accy Pals & who lived in Accrington who was sadly killed along with alot of other brave men on 1st July 1916 but don’t know if I’m related to him.
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:36   #27

The on-line archive for the London Gazette covers WWI and WWII
Gazette Issue 36961 published 27 Feb 1945 records the DCM for Christopher Boardman
No. 3522635 Lance-Sergeant Christopher Boardman The East Lancashire Regiment (Blackburn)

Go here :- http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/arc...=0&Referer=WW1

Type in Christopher Boardman in search

Go to popup window and you may need to track back to previous pages.
Best if you have the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader version 6 for the pdf file

Hope that helps

Last edited by Weary Tourist; 02-07-2004 at 10:37. Reason: minor correction
Weary Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 11:02   #28
Junior Member+

Thank you Weary Tourist,
Yes thats my Grandfather, my dad originaly lived in Blackburn, before moving to Ossy when he married my mother.
I have my grandfathers Service book whitch has the same Service Number 3522635.
I did`nt know him very well when I was younger, he moved down South, He died in the early 90s in London.
Old 02-07-2004, 14:38   #29

If you want to find out about Thomas Boardman, then start by getting Christopher's marriage certificate, or birth certificate (£7) that way you are starting from a known point. http://www.1837online.com/Trace2web/

Thereafter you may be able to find Thomas on 1901 Census here (the site can be busy) http://www.censushelpdesk.co.uk/ which may tie in with the address on the Absent Voters entry on Accy Pals site.

If you know date of death then there may be a Will or Letters of Administration.
Old 02-07-2004, 18:32   #30
Junior Member+

Thanks again Weary Tourist,
I`ve had a look but like you said, it`s a busy site.
Will try again, Thanks

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..