Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2004, 18:23   #16
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah
Ha Cazzer, but its NOT Grange Lane, the photo was filed away with a wrong name, so ... guess again!
Ah well, presumed it was named appropriately so didn't study the pic any further!

So where was the the pic taken that is named "warnerstreetsecret1"? we never did find out (the empty room)

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2004, 06:46   #17
Senior Member+

secret room

Hi Cazzer, sorry, forgot to say, it's behind one of the shops on the top block of Warner Street.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 21:59   #18

Re: Accrington Pipe Band

Both photos being discussed along are taken from the archives of accringtonpipeband (.org.uk) and can be found alongside the bands history and more photos.
Peter Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 00:17   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Second photo - they've tarmac'd the road.....I don't think those guys on the zebra are to impressed though; they're definatly out looking for trouble.
just seen these photos ya cheeky get, one of those guys looks like me dad.
Old 22-02-2012, 18:31   #20
Junior Member+

The first photo is the Queen Victoria's Jubilee Parade 1897, the Band had been going for 12 years.
PiperAdrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 18:36   #21
Junior Member+

The first photo is the Queen Victoria's Jubilee Parade 1897, the Band had been going for 12 years. That is Grange Lane. I am on the second picture, second from the front on the right flank. I was 17 years old then, oh happy days.
PiperAdrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 18:54   #22
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Just a suggestion, if you want to use pics as a guessing game, change the title of pics to something else!! (ie grangelane1897.jpg) its no fun otherwise!
It might say Grange Lane at the bottom of the picture, but it can't be.
Upper Grange Lane was nowt but a mud lane, and uphill, on the picture they are on level ground.
(see pictures of Grange Lane when Fire Station was being built)
As for the lower part of Grange Lane, there is no straight part, its like a double S from Spring Gardens to Church St.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 19:02   #23
I am Banned

Re: Wellington Street it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
YES!!!!!!!!

Well done! If you imagine you are stood on Nuttall Street, looking up towards Manchester Road, you can see, on the left hand side, the top block of Wellybob Street and at the other side, is the outline of what once was The Tramway pub.
The lady you can see in the bottom RH corner is actually stood in front of what I always knew as Shuttleworths printers, but is now flats.
Nice one!
Ged of wi thi, take the photo, and stand in the place you describe. The pipers are marching on a level road, that part of Welly Bob St is uphill, and if it is there, where is the old yard, wheres the old joiners shop that stood in the old yard, before they built the police garage.
remember the short cut you use'd to cut from Grange lane to Well Bob

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 22-02-2012 at 19:08.
Old 22-02-2012, 21:14   #24
Senior Member+

Hey! I too, like you, have lived in this area all my life, and, dear Retlaw, I am politely informing you, IT IS WELLINGTON STREET.
Trust me! The gable end which is visible roughly half way up (on the left hand side) is the one that is now painted "mock tudor".
Old 22-02-2012, 21:43   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperAdrian View Post
The first photo is the Queen Victoria's Jubilee Parade 1897, the Band had been going for 12 years.
Must have walked a long way in 12 years, where were they coming from John o groats....LOL

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 21:49   #26
I am Banned

Quote:
Hey! I too, like you, have lived in this area all my life, and, dear Retlaw, I am politely informing you, IT IS WELLINGTON STREET.
Trust me! The gable end which is visible roughly half way up (on the left hand side) is the one that is now painted "mock tudor".
All right keep your hair on, I'll be going tomorrow to have a butchers, if I'm wrong I'll hold me hand up, still looks too level fo me, the 1909 map shows spare land where the old joiners shop was, facing bottom of Russell St. Remember Alan Walker who lived on Lemoni St, he worked there at one time.
Retlaw
Old 22-02-2012, 21:52   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
All right keep your hair on, I'll be going tomorrow to have a butchers, if I'm wrong I'll hold me hand up, still looks too level fo me, the 1909 map shows spare land where the old joiners shop was, facing bottom of Russell St. Remember Alan Walker who lived on Lemoni St, he worked there at one time.
Retlaw
And if yer Right?
Old 22-02-2012, 21:53   #28

Quote:
Yep! spot on. Just looked on google streetmaps and you can position yourself virtually in the same position and you get the same view. I would respectfully say though that I think the lady is standing on the corner of the bottom of Russell st and not further down near Nuttal st.

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 22:36   #29
Senior Member+

I would respectfully say though that I think the lady is standing on the corner of the bottom of Russell st and not further down near Nuttall st.

Yep, thats correct as I mentioned years back in thread no. 14, she is standing by the corner of what was Shuttleworths the printer (i.e. corner of Russell St). Glad you are on the same wavelength as moi!
Old 23-02-2012, 13:47   #30
I am Banned

Had a look at Welly Bob St, from the corner with Nuttall St, and grudgingly I have to admit that Atarah's right. She's just left here with a big grin on here face, never mind I'll find sumat to wipe the grin off er clock.
Whilst were were looking at the 1909 Map of Accy we spotted something we'd never heard of before, Catholic Apostolic Church, now thats a new one.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 23-02-2012 at 13:51.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..