Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2004, 10:09   #16
Junior Member+

Re: Accrington this week

I really enjoyed seeing those shots of the town Mick ... made me want to walk around there so bad I think it must be about 8 years since i last did that.
I had no idea the old Grammer School had been levelled and that the side of the Market Hall had been covered by a 'New Market'. I did feel that moving the clock from the Arndale to replace it with a cafe? was a travesty. Is the space remaining actually big anough for that purpose?
MutinousMuse2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-12-2004, 10:12   #17
Resting in Peace

They could have left the clock where it was and built the cafe round it
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 10:14   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len
Hey mick, what did you do with all the people in some of those pics?. hehe
It's like a ghost town.
Len some of them were taken at 7am hehe could not sleep
Old 04-12-2004, 10:16   #19
Resting in Peace

I have loads of pics of accy and when they were pulling down the old market if anyone would like a CD with them on just pm me with your address and i will put 1 in the post for you.....FREE
Old 05-12-2004, 07:19   #20

I have some pics here.. Again taken in 1988. No doubt more changes since. The third pic I took and don't know where it is. Can any one tell me where please. First two are obvious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan2.JPG (22.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg scan3.JPG (22.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg scan30001.JPG (17.8 KB, 57 views)
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:02   #21
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I think in the 3rd pic you were on a bus, coming from Blackburn to Accy. You are at the traffic lights at the junction of Blackburn Rd and Henry St, about to turn right onto Blackburn Rd to come into Accy. If you turn down Henry St you have Church Kirk, Hyndburn Sports Centre and of course The Stag..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:27   #22

So that's where it is. Thanks Lettie. I would never have guessed the place for myself. Yes I was on a bus. Front seat upstairs of course for the benefit of my wife who had never travelled on a double decker. Henry st. that's why I probably took the pic.That intersection (totally different to the 50's) I Used to walk from Dill Hall up Henry st to Church and catch the bus to Blackburn to go to work.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 06:45   #23

Same route as I used Terry when I lived up Meadoway and worked at Mullards.

6.0 clock starts, trip down Dill Hall Lane, up Henry Street and catch'd bus opposite Commercial. Going home was all up-hill though!!!

In them days Church had shops, and 2 Banks (maybe 3 if you counted Building Society on Market Street). Now they've made it into a traffic island!!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 07:58   #24
Resident Waffler

I used to work in one of those banks. There was a confectioner's on Blackburn Road which did absolutely superb butties, customised to order. The Post Office looks odd these days, the end of a terrace but standing there all alone.

The area around the junction of Union Street and Broadway has changed a lot since your photos Terry. We've now got a roundabout - if you drive in on Blackburn Road basically all you can do is go round the roundabout and drive out again.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 21:59   #25

The photo of Warner St, on first sight, could be a little village in the Ribble Valley.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 22:38   #26
Resident Waffler

and just around the corner from there....................the river just asking to be made a feature of.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2004, 11:13   #27

The pictures are great, keep them coming

The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed .......Sebastine Chamford
fibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2004, 13:38   #28
Senior Member+

Lettie as usual i believe you are totally correct on that one

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..