Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-03-2004, 09:05   #16
Senior Member+

Accrington Train station

Oh Bert! Bert! What can I say? How could I ever doubt you!!! A MILLION APOLOGIES!!!!
You were right, and we were wrong!! I will always listen to what you say in future
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-03-2004, 09:06   #17
God Member

Re: Accrington Train station

We all appear to be writing at the same time.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2004, 09:06   #18
God Member

Yes, Apologies Bert!
Old 26-03-2004, 11:08   #19

I've had a good shuffti, and I reckon that the first pic is correct and is one of a goods train on the wrong line.

The reson is: that the covered bridge went from just outside the Eagle St., exit-entrance - traversed both tracks and ended on the east bound platform on the Blackburn-Colne line. So when you look at the pic, you'll see the stairs going up to the bridge and splitting two ways- left and right- which means the pic was taken on the middle platforms (so to speak). I distinctly remember, that trains using the Manchester branch line (in the direction of Manchester) always pulled in next to the ticket collectors booth at the entrance-exit which is shown in the second pic with the trolleys on it.

Makes sense to me...but the mists of time can play tricks!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2004, 13:41   #20

Definately not the Paxton St Platform which then (as now) served the trains coming from Church and heading for Huncoat. This goods train taking water is at the Platform for the trains which have come down Bash Bank and are heading for Huncoat. However,all sorts of "unusual" movements were carried out as required. It was quite common for a Parcel Train from say Blackburn to pass through the Paxton St (No 6) Platform and carry on onto the Viaduct then reverse into No 2 Platform where the Goods/Parcel Office was situated (that platform is the one of Atarah`s with the Trolleys) and as I mentioned, this was the Platform you came on after having your ticket examined and clipped. Further to this, the darkish area on the left shows the manually operated Indicator Clock and removable information boards which was facing the bottom of the stairs coming down from midway along the covered footbridge. I think we can assume that the loco was desperate for a drink and was crossed over to that position.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2004, 13:56   #21
God Member

I think I need a drink after this as well...so I assume the photograph was taken on the Eastern Side of the footbridge and the platform shown is one of those that no longer exist? I'm just old enough to remember Accrington station and the fact it was a triangular station (one of only 6 in the country)
Old 26-03-2004, 18:54   #22

Not sure which is East or West but you are correct to say that Platform no longer exists. Have been having a look at a few photos (books so can`t post) and am almost convinced that if the goods train was coming in from Huncoat, ie:across the viaduct, then I don`t think there was a cross-over point to get where it is. Would be inclined to think it reversed to get to the water tank.
Wonder if there is anyone around with extensive knowledge of the old track layout ?
Old 26-03-2004, 19:15   #23

No need to grovell Atarah -- I have been known to be wrong --- think it was about 1980.
Old 26-03-2004, 22:46   #24
Senior Member+

Accrington Train station - another good talking point here!

Just look at this absolute gem of a photograph I have managed to borrow. Who would like to "talk me through this one" please
Attached Images
File Type: jpg railway5resizrrailwayresize.JPG (98.9 KB, 177 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2004, 10:03   #25

With reference to previous postings the Loco is standing at the same Platform but of course facing the "normal" way ie: ready to depart in the Huncoat direction. In the "old days" when going in the Burnley direction you had the choice of Platforms. This one or the one serving trains from Church direction. The central stairs are visible leading to the train in the photo and also two other platforms. The one to the right which took the Church direction trains and behind it was a Bay Platform with stop Buffers. This was used for trains starting at Accrington and going in the Church direction. I used this Platform daily many years ago to go to Bolton on a Manchester train via of course Blackburn.
Old 27-03-2004, 14:19   #26
God Member

Sorry to go off track! sorry couldn't resist that

But Owd-Bert, when will photo quiz B be finished?

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2004, 09:36   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owd Bert
With reference to previous postings the Loco is standing at the same Platform but of course facing the "normal" way ie: ready to depart in the Huncoat direction. In the "old days" when going in the Burnley direction you had the choice of Platforms. This one or the one serving trains from Church direction. The central stairs are visible leading to the train in the photo and also two other platforms. The one to the right which took the Church direction trains and behind it was a Bay Platform with stop Buffers. This was used for trains starting at Accrington and going in the Church direction. I used this Platform daily many years ago to go to Bolton on a Manchester train via of course Blackburn.
I'm not sure about that Bert...If a train was standing in the direction of Huncoat then the stairs were on its (the trains) left hand side and so was the platform. No train facing the right direction (Man-Burnley / Burnley-Man / Burnley-Blackburn / Blackburn-Burnley)could have the platform on its left hand side! So it must be facing the wrong direction.

Unless it was in a Bay Platform, of which there were 2 in Accy station. One to the left of the Accy-Manchester platform and t'other (as you said) to the left of the Accy - Blackburn platform. However, the stairs were some distance away, so I don't think they are applicable to the piccy.

Just my ramblings as an ex-train spotter of many years.

Last edited by Darby; 29-03-2004 at 09:41.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2004, 10:03   #28
God Member

Bert is referring to the Piccy immeadiatly above where the engine is on the left with the platform on it's left and is facing the right direction having come from the Manchester direction and is heading towards Burnley...It's standing on the same platform as the train in the first picture, which we know to be facing in the wrong direction.

My guess is that this picture was taken in the early 1900's shortly after the redevelopment of the station (notice there are no soot stains on the bridge immeadiatly above the track)and pictures the full compliment of the station staff (or near to it) at the time, including "Top Hat" and "Fat Controller" to the left of the Piccy. There are 3 tools on the track directly in front of the men to the right of the picture but unfortunatly the clarity is not good enough to make out what they are. Neither can I make out the wording on the sign immeadiatly behind the signal post (NO ROAD possibly)..However, the photograph was taken in Spring/Summer.
Old 29-03-2004, 10:45   #29

I think there may be a bit of confusion re which photo I was talking about. Anyway the photo with the Station Staff spread across the tracks has been published in "Accrington as it Was" by Brian Ashton and the caption is: "Accrington Station and Staff with the Stationmaster Mr.S.Crossley,who took charge in 1875 and stayed until 1898 when he was transferred to Bolton Station."
Old 29-03-2004, 10:51   #30
God Member

Ooops....I'm not doing to well on dates this morning!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..