Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-12-2003, 05:23   #1

Post ASFC-Old Report

Came across this in my old scrapbook. Can anyone identify the year it was written and if the ground improvements did actually take place at the end of the season ?
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-12-2003, 05:27   #2

Post Re: ASFC-Old Report

Sorry about the quality of the document -- just hope someone can manage to read it. The results mentioned towards the end may be a clue to the year.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2003, 08:26   #3

My guess is 1937 and yes, the ground improvements did take place. The old Burnley Road "scratching shed" was replaced by a new covered stand (which in turn was replaced in 1958 by the ill-fated Aldershot Tattoo stand). Also the new dressing rooms were built by the supporters' club and are still there today.
ASFC1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2003, 09:57   #4
God Member

How did you manage to read it ASFC? my eyesight must be really knackered - it was like trying to deciper the Rosetta stone. I can make out "Dressing Rooms" and that's just about it.

Mind you, they had interesting names for journalist's in those days...."Quex".....we seem to have lost our imagination a little now.....
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2003, 12:02   #5

Couldn't read most of it, my eyesight's probably as knackered as yours. I just picked out key phrases like "covered accommodation" and "new dressing rooms".
Old 17-12-2003, 13:32   #6
God Member

There's just another bit I can make out...about a 5(?)-1 victory at Fleetwood on the previous wednesday....track that down & you may well have the date to within a week.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2003, 12:32   #7

As the Fleetwood match was a reserve game, I don't have any access to any records for that, so I can't pinpoint the date.

However, I'm more convinced than ever that the year was 1937. There's a mention of a good cup run; in 36-37, Stanley beat Rovers at Peel Park, then lost to Man City at Maine Road. There's also a mention of the supporters' club wanting to get involved in the new dressing rooms which were planned; if you look at the inscription on the stone block high up on the old dressing room wall (which can still be seen today), you'll see it says "Erected by the Supporters' Club 1937."

Elementary, my dear tealeaf!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..