Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-02-2012, 20:29   #46
Resting In Peace

Re: Bethel Chapel "walking" crusade

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ton-59510.html

Lancashire Lantern | Word Search | Item

These two references answer some of the questions in my last post. Posts 11 and 17 in the Park Road thread suggest that the low building was as I thought a gate house, one of two to the Steiner mansion called Hyndburn house. Post 17 has a lovely old map with a Lancs county council stamp on it but I can't find it on the LCC website.

The school is on the 1909 map and I think it was built around then. Hyndburn house must have been gone by then because the area is built up with streets. The photo of the church that AccyGirl found is also on the lancashire lantern website with a date of approx 1920s
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-02-2012, 22:12   #47

My mum used to have a garage on the land opposite the school. In the 50's there used to be I would guess 10 garages on that land, I think behind them was the reservoir, now gone. The garages were behind the small gatehouse and went virtually all the way back to the bottom of princess st. I think the gate house was named Hyndburn cottage and in the 60's those that lived there were called Coulson.

My aunt, now 92, used to worship in the Chapel and confirmed tonight it was the Bethel.

Getting really interesting as you say Susie

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 12:27   #48
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
My mum used to have a garage on the land opposite the school. In the 50's there used to be I would guess 10 garages on that land, I think behind them was the reservoir, now gone. The garages were behind the small gatehouse and went virtually all the way back to the bottom of princess st. I think the gate house was named Hyndburn cottage and in the 60's those that lived there were called Coulson.

My aunt, now 92, used to worship in the Chapel and confirmed tonight it was the Bethel.

Getting really interesting as you say Susie

Phil
Don't suppose your aunt remembers when they stopped worshipping at the chapel?

You're right about the reservoir, it was between the end of Princess street and Hyndburn road, where the fire station and Lidl are now accordiing to the 1890 map.
Old 18-02-2012, 18:30   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Don't suppose your aunt remembers when they stopped worshipping at the chapel?

You're right about the reservoir, it was between the end of Princess street and Hyndburn road, where the fire station and Lidl are now accordiing to the 1890 map.
I will ask her next time I'm in Clitheroe where she now lives.

It must have been in the late 30's I would assume, because if it was a wharehouse of sorts during the war, maybe that would explain why my mother who married in 1943 was married at the old Antley Church and not the Bethel. Then again my mother lived in Holland street, not to far from the Antley, as did her brother, my uncle, who also got married at the Antley.
Did Holland St come under Antley's parish area perhaps...reading the bahns and all that sort of thing......?????

From the picture of the Chapel from the side where it appears to stick out a fair way from the building in the foreground, you can see why the council compulsory purchased part of the front gardens of both cottages to widen the road to its current width, which is what my friends grandma in Ivy cottage told her. It happened within the last 50 years she said.

Phil

Last edited by Karateman; 18-02-2012 at 18:38.
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 22:00   #50
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
I will ask her next time I'm in Clitheroe where she now lives.

It must have been in the late 30's I would assume, because if it was a wharehouse of sorts during the war, maybe that would explain why my mother who married in 1943 was married at the old Antley Church and not the Bethel. Then again my mother lived in Holland street, not to far from the Antley, as did her brother, my uncle, who also got married at the Antley.
Did Holland St come under Antley's parish area perhaps...reading the bahns and all that sort of thing......?????
Phil I'm not sure that nonconformist churches had parishes, thought it was jut a C of E/RC thing.

By coincidence an Accyweb thread on Holland Street has been revived tonight... sad to see it is no more.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...eet-37207.html
Old 19-02-2012, 07:31   #51
Senior Member+

I want to get back to the original query - where was the crusade photo ( and the later ones) taken. Mention of Antley Meths has raised another possibility. Ive had no success yet in finding where the photos were taken, but now I can send them to an Antlery mate. That church was altered about 1960. It's high time that Atarah went out with her camera snapping the possible locations.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 10:55   #52
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I want to get back to the original query - where was the crusade photo ( and the later ones) taken. Mention of Antley Meths has raised another possibility. Ive had no success yet in finding where the photos were taken, but now I can send them to an Antlery mate. That church was altered about 1960. It's high time that Atarah went out with her camera snapping the possible locations.
Bob are you querying my conclusions? As a relative newbie I may not possess Atarah's Accyweb credentials as a local historian but I think I do know my architecture. I'm pretty certain that Phil's photos in post 21 were taken outside the church pictured in post 33 ie the old catholic church. The architectural details of door, windows and gateposts are the same. That only leaves the walking picture in post 1 to pin down.

As I said in post 37 it would be interesting to know what went on at the church between 1869 and the 1920s/30s as it was still marked as a chapel in the 1890 map.
Old 19-02-2012, 12:02   #53
Senior Member+

No, not querying - just wanting to discuss the walking picture. The thread has moved away from the location. Am OK with yours on the chapel, but we have been wandering over Park Rd & Holland St. On 14th October 1943, the observer reported on the Renown Tyre & Rubber Co being destroyed by fire. I have a suspicion that this was the old Catholoic church. I will enquire.
Old 19-02-2012, 13:04   #54
Resting In Peace

Sorry Bob thought you were saying the other photos were not taken outside the ex catholic church.

In post 33 I quote Acrylic-bob from an old thread

The building survived until the outbreak of the second world war being latterly used for storing tyres. It was destroyed by fire on the morning of 16th October 1943.

Don't know where he got his info from but the date is two days out from the Observer report.
Old 19-02-2012, 13:44   #55
Resting In Peace

See post 12 on this old thread for a picture of the Antley Church.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ings-5369.html

Looks nothing like the one in Phil's photos.
Old 19-02-2012, 15:53   #56
Resting in Peace

My grandad/grandma were married in Bethel Church, Accrington in 1904 .. they were Methodists.

No help to this thread whatsoever, just wanted to mention it..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 16:13   #57
Resting In Peace

Kate the baptist chapel in Barnes street was called Bethel - don't know of a methodist one.
Old 19-02-2012, 16:53   #58
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Kate the baptist chapel in Barnes street was called Bethel - don't know of a methodist one.
To be honest, Sue, thought about this. My maternal ancestors seemed to go to both Baptist and Methodist. Remember Mum saying she went to Huncoat Baptists, then moved to Cambridge Street Methodist where I attended. You will be correct, I am sure.
Old 19-02-2012, 17:08   #59
Senior Member+

No wonder they call you Konfused Kate. Your Les is right about you.
Old 19-02-2012, 17:27   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
No wonder they call you Konfused Kate. Your Les is right about you.
Cheeky sod...

Sorry to digress, but what denomination was Willow Street Sunday School ? Have a book presented to my Mum for her assistance at the morning services of the League of Young Worshipers in 1916 (she would be 10).

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..