Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-02-2012, 21:07   #61
Senior Member+

Re: Bethel Chapel "walking" crusade

It was asociated with the Baptists of Cannon St. It was both a Day and a Sunday School
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-02-2012, 22:22   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Phil I'm not sure that nonconformist churches had parishes, thought it was jut a C of E/RC thing.

By coincidence an Accyweb thread on Holland Street has been revived tonight... sad to see it is no more.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...eet-37207.html
My Gran and grandad used to have the shop in Holland St in the 30's and 40's they were called Claude and Lillian Standring.

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 22:36   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
No, not querying - just wanting to discuss the walking picture. The thread has moved away from the location. Am OK with yours on the chapel, but we have been wandering over Park Rd & Holland St. On 14th October 1943, the observer reported on the Renown Tyre & Rubber Co being destroyed by fire. I have a suspicion that this was the old Catholoic church. I will enquire.
I drive an ambulance around Accy every day so am actively looking for similar shop fronts to those in the picture.

Funnily enough the houses on Union rd just past the theatre on the left and those opposite the Bay Horse look similar flat stone work, but that then doesn't work with the Accy Corporation sign in the window.....No just re checked.... close, but its not right.

The secret to identifying it may lie with the brickwork above the upstairs windows that seems to jut out a tad beneath the guttering compared to the rest of the wall....and........is that a bus stop sign attached to the Lamp post....so must be on an old bus or tram route..no?

Phil

Last edited by Karateman; 19-02-2012 at 22:44.
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 23:16   #64
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
I drive an ambulance around Accy every day so am actively looking for similar shop fronts to those in the picture.

Funnily enough the houses on Union rd just past the theatre on the left and those opposite the Bay Horse look similar flat stone work, but that then doesn't work with the Accy Corporation sign in the window.....No just re checked.... close, but its not right.

The secret to identifying it may lie with the brickwork above the upstairs windows that seems to jut out a tad beneath the guttering compared to the rest of the wall....and........is that a bus stop sign attached to the Lamp post....so must be on an old bus or tram route..no?

Phil
Blackburn road was a tram route...
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 23:57   #65
Senior Member+

Bethel Chapel "walking" crusade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
Done it again......forgot Pic..
I still feel this photo is at Church, just about to turn into Henry Street.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 09:24   #66
Senior Member+

I think that the location is Blackburn Rd, Church and that the Corporation sign COULD be linked to the public transport ,but also it could have been an office where people over that end of Acc could pay their rates and perhaps gas, water and electricity bills. I think that Church & Ossie folk got their gas etc from Accrington Boards, which were Corporation-owned.
Old 20-02-2012, 11:11   #67
Resting in Peace

The 1928 map also clearly shows the Bethel Chapel in Barnes Street, between Lee Street and Pitt Street.

The church, going up from Abbey Street, was on the left hand side. Directly opposite was the Sunday School, which is the building the garage now occupies.

The only query I would have about the walking photograph being in Church, is that, if they walked out of the chapel in Barnes Street, surely Church would be an awful long way for those little 'tots' shown ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 11:33   #68
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
The 1928 map also clearly shows the Bethel Chapel in Barnes Street, between Lee Street and Pitt Street.

The church, going up from Abbey Street, was on the left hand side. Directly opposite was the Sunday School, which is the building the garage now occupies.

The only query I would have about the walking photograph being in Church, is that, if they walked out of the chapel in Barnes Street, surely Church would be an awful long way for those little 'tots' shown ?
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

I agree K. However if the event was an Ernest St one, it would not be unusual for a contingent from Barnes St to show up and boost the numbers. I am still holding Blackburn Rd, ACC in reserve for the location.
Old 20-02-2012, 11:37   #69
Resting in Peace

Quote:
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

I agree K. However if the event was an Ernest St one, it would not be unusual for a contingent from Barnes St to show up and boost the numbers. I am still holding Blackburn Rd, ACC in reserve for the location.
Ah yes, Bob ... never thought about that. Also, Phil's theory about the Elim Pentecostal converting to Bethel could be another.

Am 'Konfused Kate' .. you were correct...
Old 20-02-2012, 11:54   #70
Resting In Peace

Kate, Bob, I thought we had already established that the old catholic church was a Bethel Crusade chapel in the 20s/30s. The women in the walking pic and in Phil's other pics taken outside this church are wearing exactly the same uniform.

The parade would have set off from Gatty park, Hyndburn road.

Why do we need to bring Ernest street and Barnes street inti the mix?

Please read the earlier posts if you haven't already done so.
Old 20-02-2012, 12:10   #71
Senior Member+

Quote:
Kate, Bob, I thought we had already established that the old catholic church was a Bethel Crusade chapel in the 20s/30s. The women in the walking pic and in Phil's other pics taken outside this church are wearing exactly the same uniform.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;

We have not yet fixed a location for the walking photo. From Gatty Park it could be either of the Blackburn Rd suggestions.I am not ignoring the Gatty Park stuff, but want to bottom the street location.
Old 20-02-2012, 12:38   #72
Senior Member+

Bethel Chapel "walking" crusade

er, we are still discussing the photo of the group of "walkers" which I, and looks like Bob Dobson think is at Church, where you turn onto Henry Street?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 12:41   #73
Resting In Peace

Quote:
We have not yet fixed a location for the walking photo. From Gatty Park it could be either of the Blackburn Rd suggestions.I am not ignoring the Gatty Park stuff, but want to bottom the street location.
I know that Bob but don't thiink the event was either a Barnes Street or an Ernest street one.

For a start the Barnes street chapel was called Bethel from its inception, long before the Bethel Crusaders of the 20s/30s who are shown in the photo. And has anyone found any evidence to link Ernest street with Bethel?

With regard to Elim, in 1933 a number of people left the Bethel churches or took their churches out of the Bethel movement, many of them joining the Assemblies of God, the Elim Pentecostal Church. I don't think Elim would have converted to Bethel after these doctrinal differences.

As to location of the walking photo, Cashy and others including you I believe Bob, have suggested opposite the top of Oxford street, the buildings between Fox street and Scaitcliffe street that no longer exist. As the other locations in Church that you suggest have also been demolished, does anyone have any old photos to lay this to rest?
Old 20-02-2012, 12:43   #74
Resting in Peace

Quote:

LOL. Have just gone back and read it all again for about the 10th time. Got it now, Sue ! Phil's pictures outside the church and the one you put up of the 'Hyndburn R.C.Church' is obviously the same building. Phew.
Old 20-02-2012, 12:54   #75
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
LOL. Have just gone back and read it all again for about the 10th time. Got it now, Sue ! Phil's pictures outside the church and the one you put up of the 'Hyndburn R.C.Church' is obviously the same building. Phew.
Thanks Kate. You had your eyes open this time.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..