Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2012, 13:04   #76
Senior Member+

Re: Bethel Chapel "walking" crusade

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Thanks Kate. You had your eyes open this time.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Susie That was a patronising remark. Katex deserves better. At no time have I said that the 'church 'photos' were taken other than where you have surmised. I repeat that my doubts are concerned with - where was the 'walking' photo taken?.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-02-2012, 13:28   #77
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Susie That was a patronising remark. Katex deserves better. At no time have I said that the 'church 'photos' were taken other than where you have surmised. I repeat that my doubts are concerned with - where was the 'walking' photo taken?.
Patronising, moi? it was meant to be funny and I'm sure Kate realises that. Hence the smilies at the end comme ca
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 14:01   #78
Senior Member+

Sorry - I missed 'em.
Old 20-02-2012, 15:01   #79
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Patronising, moi? it was meant to be funny and I'm sure Kate realises that. Hence the smilies at the end comme ca
No, didn't take as the slightest bit patronising, Sue, just berated myself for having my stupid head on. Thanks anyway, Bob, for what you thought was defending my honour... this went a long time ago

Hope someone comes up with a suitable 'photo of Church. Believe me, have googled in all sorts of languages .... expletives being at the top ... LOL.

One thing you said was about the tram lines .... wouldn't there have been tram lines on Blackburn Road at the top of Henry Street then ?

Last edited by katex; 20-02-2012 at 15:07.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 15:16   #80
Full Member+

Lots of good photo's here....

Lancashire Lantern | Subjects | Gallery
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 17:55   #81
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I think that the location is Blackburn Rd, Church and that the Corporation sign COULD be linked to the public transport ,but also it could have been an office where people over that end of Acc could pay their rates and perhaps gas, water and electricity bills. I think that Church & Ossie folk got their gas etc from Accrington Boards, which were Corporation-owned.
Just a thought Bob, I wonder if a directory would give addresses for Accy Corporation offices, I know you have quoted from directories in past posts and wondered if you had any that went that far back. Or perhaps someone could pay a visit to the library?
Old 20-02-2012, 18:56   #82

A photo of my mother and her friends outside the chapel and the chapel after the fire, with the sign renown tyre something ltd.

Can we re establish the facts for clarity...

The "walkers" definately come from "The Bethel Chapel" situated in Gatty Park, not the Ernest st or Pitt st " Bethels", and which was burnt down in 1943.

The time will be sometime in the early 30's. My mum looks in her early 20's which would be about 1932..34..ish. In the attached photo my mum and one of her friends outside the chapel, are definately both in the "walking" photo.

The road looks like it might be on a Bus Route and one of the buildings has links with Accy corporation.

If they are heading towards Accrington (as most processions used to do on Blackburn rd), then the buildings are on the LEFT hand side of the rd, not the Right as was suggested earlier that it may be opposite the top of Oxford st.

We need photos showing the Blackburn rd /Henry st area in the 30's

The buildings have a smooth stone facia as oppoesed to the more rough stone facia on most of Blackburn Rd.

The road has cobbles and no tram lines...when was Blackburn rd tarmac'd?

There is a sign in the shop window just above the girls head next to the lamp post. What does it say... B....... about 7 letters.

The shop windows are painted out...maybe offices....with a small sign on the centre the right hand window.

There is a door on the left next to the large window.

Any other info I have missed?

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bethel st oswalds (1).jpg (172.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg scan1 (37).jpg (422.3 KB, 24 views)
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 19:24   #83
Senior Member+

The whole of the tramways ceased to run in August 1931.The tracks would be taken up soon afterwards.
The wooden board on the bungalow is an advert for Coulson's, slaters. I remember it well.
IF the procession headed from the park towards Church, it would likely turn into Henry St, then left onto Blackburn Rd, so we may be looking at a block on the Church side of the Queen's hall/Tudor cinema. On that block in 1951 there was a bank, newsagent and (in the middle) a hardware dealer. How can we get some Churchites interested in this thread/photo. ?
Old 20-02-2012, 19:41   #84
Resting In Peace

Good summary Phil - where did you find the pic of the burnt chapel?

The shop could have blinds down as it was Sunday, rather than painted out windows.

Sign on the church - Renown Tyre & Rubber Co.
Old 20-02-2012, 20:01   #85
Full Member+

Could this be it?
http://lanternimages.lancashire.gov....94&r=2&t=4&x=1
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 20:08   #86
Resting In Peace

Where is that Steve? Thought I'd been through all the Accy pics on Lancs Lantern
Old 20-02-2012, 21:16   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
That is very very close...could well be....in fact I would stake my li....er my wifes life on it..

Count the stones above the shop window to the gutter, the bus stop is there.... the drain pipe is there....the double doorway is there....the window above the shop is there.....the jutting out stone below the gutter is there......the raised stone work to the right of the drainpipe is there.....

seems pretty conclusive to me....so where is it, the corner of Henry st and Blackburn rd?

Phil

Last edited by Karateman; 20-02-2012 at 21:24.
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 21:20   #88
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Where is that Steve? Thought I'd been through all the Accy pics on Lancs Lantern
Cracked it! This is the same place... junction of Henry street and Blackburn road, Church. The shop in the walking pic is the one behind the lamp post on the lhs of the bank. See Steve's post for a closer view of the shop sadly boarded up.

So well done Bob for tying it down. The procession would have been coming down Henry street towards Blackburn road.

As an aside, I find the lantern site quite hard to find stuff on. A place search on Church did not bring up either Steve's or my picture. I had to do an advanced search on henry and Church to bring up Henry street, Church, and voila!

Steve how did you find your pic?

Anyway Phil I think we are there! The second pic below sums up my feelings!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg church junction.jpg (14.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: png Munch_The_Scream_lithography.png (30.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by susie123; 20-02-2012 at 21:26.
Old 20-02-2012, 21:29   #89
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
er, we are still discussing the photo of the group of "walkers" which I, and looks like Bob Dobson think is at Church, where you turn onto Henry Street?
Er! thats what I said all along?????? Posts 65 and 72

Last edited by Atarah; 20-02-2012 at 21:33.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 21:33   #90
Senior Member+

I am convinced that this is the spot. The procession has passed (or exited) Ernest St from the Commercial and is about to pass or enter Henry St. Brilliant work Karateman & Steve2qec All we need now is to go through the Observers for the decade and ascertain the date

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..