Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2004, 08:13   #1
Senior Member+

Bull Bridge

Hi, this was the name of the area around the bottom of Milnshaw Lane/corner of Hyndburn Road, the name probably no longer in use. Here is an old photo taken from the railway viaduct (from a book published in the 1950's about plans for the future of Accrington).
All the buildings in the foreground have gone now - the only thing you will recognise is the river which can still be seen today, by the entrance to the Arndale Carpark. It may be hard for you to vizualise things today, so I am gonna ask Owd Bert if he would mind putting arrows and descriptions on the photo, to help you all get your "bearings"
If you look at the back of the photo, more towards the right, you can make out the Market Hall with its tall chimneys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old_resize.JPG (72.5 KB, 204 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-04-2004, 08:22   #2
God Member

Re: Bull Bridge

The pub to the right of the picture is the "Black Bull" which gave the area it's name (we can assume that there would have been a bridge across the river by the pub at some point in time.) The pub, was of course, the oldest pub in Accrington and arguably the oldest building. Naturally, it was demolished in the early 80's to make way for the Arndale.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 09:16   #3
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Me and my best mate Angie had our first halves of cider in Ye Olde Black Bull. We were 14 at the time. My sister's mates parents ran the place. They later moved to the Boars Head.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 09:23   #4
God Member

Lettie - how could you! Under age drinking is deplorable.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2004, 08:34   #5

I had my first pint in the black bull.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..