Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2009, 17:26   #16
Junior Member+

Re: Butchers in Accrington Market Hall.

Very grateful for any info.

My GGF, Benjamin Chadwick, used to be a butcher in Accrington, as was his father. Richard Chadwick. Does anyone know whether there is a famly connection with a firm of butchers named Chadiwck, who, I believe, trade in Accrington market?

Henry
Henry Bury is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-07-2009, 18:13   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bury View Post
Very grateful for any info.

My GGF, Benjamin Chadwick, used to be a butcher in Accrington, as was his father. Richard Chadwick. Does anyone know whether there is a famly connection with a firm of butchers named Chadiwck, who, I believe, trade in Accrington market?

Henry
They do.........I can go back to 1954...Joe and Harry Chadwick ran the stall...... I understand Joe died and Harry carried on the business.
I could well be that they were the sons of Benjamin....If alive both brothers would be in thier nineties.......Hope this helps.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 18:02   #18
Senior Member+

yay ernie! I found you posting on here after..hmm how long? hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
The chap in the middle row, third from the left, his surname is Brindle, I used to work with his brother Peter on the buses in the 70s/80s.
mmmmmm love those bbq chicken some dude does on there!!

Last edited by Restless; 07-08-2009 at 18:02. Reason: mmmm instead of hmmm
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 08:49   #19
Senior Member+

GOOD NEWS! have found a "relative" for you who is mega interested in the Chadwick family tree and so can help you. will send you a private message.

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:01   #20
Senior Member+

Hi, Chadwicks Butchers have now retired from Accrington Market. Another empty stall!
Here is a recent photo of Feathers, another long established butchers. They have moved stalls recently, still on the same side, but nearer to the side door now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MarketDec09bresize.jpg (296.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 24-12-2009, 21:39   #21
Senior Member+

How grand is this to see! Accrington Market Hall - Christmas Eve 2009. A fine selection of Xmas fayre! The queue's were already starting at 8.30.
My turkey breast is slowly cooking in the oven now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ButchersDec09.jpg (514.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 25-12-2009, 00:08   #22
Give, give, give member

I go to the butchers in the Market twice a week, and talking to them I know they've had a hard year, with being shunted about because of all the building work etc.

Good to hear they're having a busy Christmas, and I wish all the stall holders a prosperous new year, especially as many have told me they fear the effect the new Tesco will have on their businesses.

It remains to be seen if the upper floor expansion attracts the hoped for artisans and crafts people, which significantly increase the foot fall to the market, and it's long established traders.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 07:13   #23
God Member

They don't need to worry about the effects of the new Tesco store for quite some time G. Nothing is happening , in fact the Skill Centre has not been demolished yet.
Old 27-06-2010, 16:01   #24

My godmother, Mildred Grime came from the Grime family of butchers who had a stall in the Market Hall. She lived with her sister Myrtle on Burnley Road, but by the time I knew them (c1950) I think their father had died and maybe sold the business on.

BTW I can't remember if the surname was Grime or Grimes.

This is Mildred, 16th October 1946

00000065.JPG
Old 17-07-2010, 13:16   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
The original butchers slowly seem to be disappearing. Here is a photo, taken apporox. 1990. Wondered if any of you recognise anyone?
-top back, dale , jack lomax,s grandson.timmy shoe stall, dave cropper,brother george still runs the butchers, andrew mills (butcher)on hindle,s bottom of market,donald bailey (butcher) now at senator, eddie phillips(butcher) retired, front row, jimmy from scotland (butcher), now decesed, colin parkinton,( butcher) grimes,with dave conner not on photo, albert gorton (butcher)watkinsons , david ?(butcher) wayne hindle(butcher) on hindles. the best working days of my life , and we all, or most of us remain the best of friends to this day, just wish we could share the fun we had to the world im sure it would be a far better place . eddie phillips xx
edward phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 18:31   #26
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby View Post
Sorry Atarah, they're all too young for me to remember. Harry Hawkins, from the butchers in the Market Hall isn't amongst them. Not much meat in it anyway (sorry).
However, they look a cut above the rest!!!
Harry Hawkins, went to Woodnook Council School in the 1930s, and then went on to serve his time at Kemp & Murrays butchers in Welly Bob St.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 19:05   #27
Senior Member+

Harry Hawkins, bless him! I remember I would often see him, making his way to the Park Pub on Manchester Road. He always said, with a smile "Just gonna try one"!

Retlaw, I cant remember that butchers being on Wellington Street. I only remember it being on Grange Street.
Old 17-07-2010, 21:00   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
Harry Hawkins, bless him! I remember I would often see him, making his way to the Park Pub on Manchester Road. He always said, with a smile "Just gonna try one"!

Retlaw, I cant remember that butchers being on Wellington Street. I only remember it being on Grange Street.
Ged off wi thi, it were ontut corner wi Nuttal St.
That place has been used for all sorts since, it were a printing firm at one time, remember they did the street map for me. It was diagonaly across from Littlefairs.
Retlaw.
Old 17-07-2010, 21:31   #29
Senior Member+

But they were def on Grange Street! I dont know whether this was before they moved to Wellington Street or after, but .. believe you me, THE SHOP WAS ON GRANGE STREET! I used to walk down South Street, where I then lived, cross Nuttall Street, go to the lower part of South Street (Coopers shop was on the corner, across from the Britannia Pub corner) and turn the corner, onto Grange Street. The shop was at the very end of the first block, left hand side.
Old 17-07-2010, 22:21   #30
I am Banned

Quote:
But they were def on Grange Street! I dont know whether this was before they moved to Wellington Street or after, but .. believe you me, THE SHOP WAS ON GRANGE STREET! I used to walk down South Street, where I then lived, cross Nuttall Street, go to the lower part of South Street (Coopers shop was on the corner, across from the Britannia Pub corner) and turn the corner, onto Grange Street. The shop was at the very end of the first block, left hand side.

NO NEED TO SHOUT LIZZIE. When you were right little, probably even before you were born
, Kemp & Murray's butchers were on Nuttall St where I said. Tom Kemp used to deliver our milk and I got the meat ration from Kemp & Murray's, when I did granddads shopping. I can still see Harry & his ginger mop, putting meat on display in the window. The only time I went down that part of South St was to see David Crowe at his uncles joiners shop.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 17-07-2010 at 22:27.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..