Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2004, 15:39   #1
Senior Member+

Cannon Street Baptist Church-Grade II listed

Just got ... er.... Fridays Observer (take note it is Thursday!!! ) and there's a mention of another Church that might soon be disappearing!
This time its Cannon Street - the article says the church could close within months if plans to buy the building, and make it into flats, goes ahead!!
A construction firm have put in an offer to take over the building, but only if planning permission is given.

The church, under Charity Commission rules, must be sold to the highest bidder, so.... any of you out there in a position to buy?

The photo shows you the church on Cannon Street, dwarfed by the Con Club building.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cannonstreet.JPG (56.7 KB, 130 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-07-2004, 16:15   #2
God Member

Re: Cannon Street Baptist Church-Grade II listed

I assume the reason for closure is either declining congregation or the building itself requiring major rectification work (or possibly a combination of the former not being able to afford the later, as per the Sacred Heart)

At least though, the external structure will be preserved, and possibly some of the interior, should it be rdeveloped into flats. My only question is "is there a market for this style of loft conversion in Accy"...these flats would be quite big, the development costs would be massive and I would suppose that ongoing annual service charges would'nt leave much change from a couple of thousand for their residents. Still, it's nice a last to see a little bit of imagination being used, other than the usual Accy tale of "demolish & level"

Speaking of which, is anything happening on the site of the Sacred Heart? It was a rubble site 3 weeks ago...'out new?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 21:15   #3

I was under the impression that there was a thriving congregation at Cannon St Baptists. What went wrong?
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 22:16   #4
Resident Waffler

I had no idea this church was closing down either. There used to be lots of things going on there. Mind you I'm going back a few years. What will happen to what is left of the congregation? Or have they already gone elsewhere?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 20:44   #5
Senior Member+

What will happen to what is left of the congregation? Or have they already gone elsewhere?

Hi, I believe they MAY join up with Christ Church
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 20:45   #6
Resident Waffler

Isn't that a different denomination?

Old 12-07-2004, 13:29   #7

I'd have thought if they were going to team up with anybody it would have been Ernest St or Peel St Baptists.

Many moons ago I knew a girl who went to Cannon St. That isn't "knew" in the Biblical sense.
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 10:49   #8

the congregation at cannon street is pretty big. i go on sunday and there is a brilliant youth club there on friday and it teaches youngsters about christianity. i love that church :-( the reason it is being closed down, so us youths have been told is becauseb the roof is leaking in one of the upstairs rooms and i must admit that th church is starting to look a little bit worn.
Old 15-07-2004, 13:43   #9
Resident Waffler

So where will you all be going Becki? I remember years ago when Cannon St needed funds for church renovations (when all the alterations were done) they had a thing called "Cando" (can do) where church members donated or loaned the money for the work which needed to be done. That was when the Sunday School and Youth Club used to be in what was then known as Willow St School and you went down a corridor at the back of the pulpit area and down some steps to get to it. The church itself was then made smaller and the sunday school rooms built into the same building. That's why there's the D shaped rooms, that used to be the curved part of the church at the back of the baptistry. You probably know all that anyway as a member even if it was before you were born.

Old 16-07-2004, 08:53   #10

yeah. i think they are trying to organise it so that we can go to that church accross from the library. you know the one next to the bees knees- is it still called that?
Old 16-07-2004, 09:10   #11
Resident Waffler

St James's? That's C of E isn't it? Will you still be a separate Baptist congregation? How will you go on about baptisms?

Old 16-07-2004, 09:17   #12

well at the time when we were talikng about what to do that was one of the ideas. but i dont know whether its definate though.i will tell you when i find out more which should be at youth meeting tonight.
Old 16-07-2004, 12:35   #13
Resident Waffler

OK Thanks Becki

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..