Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-06-2004, 13:34   #1
Member.

Chuch Kirk Early 1960s

Hi,

A few old black & whites of Church

No 1. I am the one with the flower. Anyone remember to corner shop behind the Car. In 1966/67, they had a Yorkie. The little B****** bit me over the eye.

No 2 & 3 two views looking towards the Thorn and the Church. My dads driving the bus.

No 4, Sally army march around 1967/68 can anyone see themselves? Mick & Cazzer, I am the one with the specs.

No 6, Omo. (Single Decker) No 6 Church Kirk. Again my dads driving.

No 7, Rose Queen 1967/68. I am the one with the bloody hat. Give me nits that ******.

:engsmil:
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-06-2004, 13:37   #2
Member.

Re: Chuch Kirk Early 1960s

Don't ask....I uploaded the Bloody photos, but I don't know where the buggers have gone.
Old 16-06-2004, 14:10   #3

How did you get to become the Rose Queen Doug?? There must be a story behind that one!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2004, 14:59   #4
Member.

sorry...

I can't get the file size dowm below 1400. There not that good unfortunitley, but I will be happy to e-mail if possible.

Cazzer I have a couple of shots of me and the Holts sat outside 89 & 91.

Sorry Folks I will keep trying.

Darby, Good one....I said Hat, not Crown.

Regards

Doug
Old 16-06-2004, 15:28   #5
Resting in Peace

ok doug here you are
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (74.4 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (70.5 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (57.0 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (98.2 KB, 385 views)

Last edited by Mick; 22-06-2004 at 18:46.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2004, 15:34   #6
Member.

Thanks Mick,
Old 16-06-2004, 15:40   #7
God Member

Cheers Doug & Mick......lovely piccy's. It's just amazing how much Church Kirk has changed over the years...the old school went 10 years ago and it's been derelict land since...The Thorn, the Libary & the Guns are just about the only places that have'nt changed.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2004, 22:59   #8
Senior Member+

I just LOVE that last photo, of you and your sister? Its a gem! How people's "yards" have changed over the years!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2004, 23:22   #9
Member.

Hi Atarah,

There is more, I will send some on to you. I have one that shows the gate and I think I have one of the drop box. (loo) to those of younger years. Ours was a true one. Along pipe that seamed to drop forever, over that was a well-worn (shiny Smooth) wood bench. We put a Thunder Box in sometime around 1964/65, before that you just tipped a bucket of water down.

My mum made me a step out of Red Cement mix and broken Nori’s set into an old washing up bowl so I could reach the bench on my own. I remember that the thing was hinged to aid cleaning…more than once I nearly got my head suck in it.

By the way, it was about 1966 before we had a proper bog…We didn’t have an indoor loo or bath until we moved up fern gore to miller Fold.

God we lived like that and loved it.
Old 17-06-2004, 02:39   #10
Junior Member+

uhhhhhhhhh.......... yea
nooone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2004, 05:13   #11

Nice Piccys Doug. I use to go to Chuch Kirk School (St. James) in the early 50's. Spent many a happy hour round there.

Great stuff.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2004, 14:52   #12
Resident Waffler

Is that single decker bus coming down Dill Hall Lane?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2004, 15:04   #13
mez
God Member

ee doug my ex husband used to drive the old buses in the sixties, they used to come from church kirk to henry st, cross over to george st (passed our house) then down the tanpits rd, onto countess st & into accy, i know there was a hue & cry when they went onto O,MO, BUSES wot a laugh i can have now. memories.
Old 17-06-2004, 15:14   #14
Senior Member+

Fantastic pics , I really like the people in the shots you can see how life was so different to now by the look on there faces

Can I ask one Question? the picture of the older couple which is my favorite..
Is that the biggest spider in the world on the lady's leg or what(???)
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2004, 15:20   #15
God Member

Mez, The bus stop used to be by the side of Church Kirk School....it used to leave at 12 minutes past the hour....I really can't remember that bus stop opposite the Thorn.

Can anyone else remember bus timetables and routes...the 46 to Blackburn(Stopping) used to run on the hour from Accy then every 12 minutes...the No 9 (Express) was every 10 minutes at peak times, but used to cost an extra penny (to Church) anyway.....and then there was always that Blackburn Corporation bus that used to park up by Church Clock and used to leave at 5 past 8.

Can anyone remember the Ribble buses that used to go through Church at quarter past and quarter to the hour (started at Ossy and went to Harwood and Clitheroe)..........

Buses & Bus Timetables is a good subject. Much better than boring footy.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..