Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2010, 10:00   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Con Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'erindoors View Post
My step mum was Stewardess when it closed as a Conservative Club, as I remember, it went into Administration! x
I knew the the Stewardess at the time it closed, but I'v lost lots of those little grey since and can't for the life in me remember her name
Old 14-04-2010, 16:20   #32
Senior Member+

[quote=jaysay;806268]The Con in its hey day was used by all the community, Saturday and Monday nights in the sixties was choker block, its one problem was all those bloody stares [/quote

It was always packed on Saturday nights in the mid/late '50s - you often needed a ticket to get in, which used to be on sale from 5 or 6 o'clock - I lived nearer than my mates so i was always elected and then we could go for a few pints before hand - Happy Days, Fantastic Memories
Old 15-04-2010, 06:13   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym View Post
Thanks for linking to my site at www.theviewfromthenorth.org.

Acquiring a listed building and letting it rot until it's beyond economic repair (especially with the ridiculous demands placed on the restoration of listed buildings by English Heritage) is a tried and tested way of over-riding planning rules. However, it is more above board than finding that arsonists have burnt the place down, which is just as effective.
I think that was the plan all along......it's being done on a regular basis nowadays and I for one think it should be stopped, why should we lose all of these beautiful old building so that these people can make extra money...it's a crying shame
Old 19-04-2010, 15:38   #34
Senior Member+

It seems that throughout Brittany the old buildings stay in the towns - in every town there are medieaval buildings - a few of which still bear the scars fom English cannon balls. Shop/house fronts cannot be changed even by repair - must be as original. Internals can be changed to suit the business.
Any new business construction must be in one of the business parks, new houses on the outskirts of towns or in areas with no historical/architectural value.
The majority of towns look good and are a pleasure to walk round.
Old 20-04-2010, 12:03   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I knew the the Stewardess at the time it closed, but I'v lost lots of those little grey since and can't for the life in me remember her name
Marian Cook, and the sec was Joan Scholes(sp?)

http://www.hyndburnramblers.co.uk/
'erindoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 00:05   #36

Has anyone got any photos of the building when it was open? I have looked all over the internet. I have plenty of shots of the building as it is now because i visit it regularly with friends. But I want some photosfrom its heyday. If anyone has got any please share them, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Accrington Lad; 10-12-2012 at 00:09. Reason: CHANGE OF MIND
Accrington Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:02   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I presume that's a mistake.

Only other explanation I can think of is it might once had land in front of it, that opened on Blackburn Road, but that seems highly unlikely.
No you are correct, Cannon Street was previously Blackburn Road too!
Ive been doing a lot of research, check out this newspaper article that I found!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.JPG (125.2 KB, 41 views)
Accrington Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 14:42   #38
Senior Member+

Cant read the article, but am very sceptical with what you say. I know its a cutting from Accrington library, I can make that much out, but the writing is all blurred (and too small).
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 16:50   #39

Wink Re: Con Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Cant read the article, but am very sceptical with what you say. I know its a cutting from Accrington library, I can make that much out, but the writing is all blurred (and too small).
Click the image above once then it should expand out a bit, then click it again and it should open in a new window and then if you are on internet explorer you can zoom even more by clicking the image again. Hope it help. So to describe that in a short way, just keep pressing the picture and it should get bigger and bigger.
cashman likes this.
Old 11-12-2012, 18:18   #40
Senior Member+

Know what? My first thoughts are, this article is NOT about the Con Club on Cannon Street, but the fine building which is still, as I speak, at the bottom of Eagle St and Blackburn Road. (once owned by Hyndburn Council but unfortunately now empty). I am led to believe that the Con Club we know was built in 1891, 10 years after that article was written. I think a lot more research needs to be done on this matter.

Last edited by Atarah; 11-12-2012 at 18:25.
Old 11-12-2012, 18:26   #41
Super Moderator

Yes, I think that too especially with phrases like "on the left towards Eagle Street". Yet another handsome edifice that we all probably walk past many times without really noticing it!
Old 11-12-2012, 18:30   #42
Senior Member+

Hi, I have just remembered something. In Accrington library there is most definitely a SKETCH done by Henry Ross, the local architect. I have just searched through my paperwork at home and unfortunately cant just put my finger on it, but ... I WILL! I am more and more convinced the heading written on Accrington Library "paperwork" does NOT refer to what you have assumed is our famous Accy Con. To be continued ...........
ps no way was Cannon Street ever Blackburn Road! Trust me!
Accrington Lad likes this.
Old 11-12-2012, 19:00   #43
Senior Member+

It does say ' to erect at the junction of Blackburn Road and Eagle Street, nearly opposite the Railway Hotel'. Is/was the Railway not on the main road?
No mention of steps at the front, just a pointed gateway.
The Conversation room is 'lighted from Blackburn Road' and the Smoke Room 'lighted from Eagle Street'.
I can't see a fine building like that being erected then replaced within 10 years by an even finer one on Cannon Street. Was this a plan which never happened?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 19:26   #44
Senior Member+

bit more to add to the puzzle:-
The Conservative Club, Blackburn Road, is a commodious building, opened in September, 1882, the cost of erection being about £4,000. The club was formerly held in premises in Abbey Street, which had become inadequate for the purpose.
Old 11-12-2012, 19:48   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
bit more to add to the puzzle:-
The Conservative Club, Blackburn Road, is a commodious building, opened in September, 1882, the cost of erection being about £4,000. The club was formerly held in premises in Abbey Street, which had become inadequate for the purpose.
So in Sept 1881 they had just started knocking down the old building, by Sept 1882 the new Con club was open. That's good going. It does say in the cutting 'The cost, including the site but exclusive of furniture,will reach £2500' so £4000 seems right.
Then 9 years later they move again to a magnificent newly built Cannon Street!
There may have been a lot of muck but there must have been plenty of brass in Accrington in those days.
Accrington Lad likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..