Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2004, 23:31   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: Do Whitewells still do ice-cream?

Yes it was. I can see that my post doesn't make that clear. The farmhouse (the icecream was made on the premises) was in Lowergate Rd (or Highergate Rd - I'm never sure where it changes names) in Huncoat and when it was converted to a row of houses they used a name which had previously been an old Huncoat name but presumably had been demolished long before.

The only reason I know that there used to be a previous Piper's Row is that an ancestor of mine lived there.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-10-2004, 18:14   #32
Senior Member+

Birtwells ice-cream

Have this photo, dont know where I acquired it from .......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Website pictures 089.jpg (22.4 KB, 81 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 21:47   #33
Resident Waffler

Wow! Modernised version! I don't remember seeing that. I do remember the old horse drawn cart.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 07:33   #34
God Member

I can just about remember the shop in Infant Street, it is a chip shop now, but the memory is very vague, I must have been very little.
Old 27-11-2004, 09:18   #35
Junior Member+

Colin Poole was a nice lad. He lived near to us on Whalley Rd in Clayton around 1953/4 and his family had a wind-up gramophone in the attic and we used to go up there and play old records. I can't remember a thing about the Pop manufacturing but thought his father ran the garage on the left hand side going up the steep hill to the canal bridge (about opposite the entrance to Pickup St). They moved to Whalley Road Accrington, again on the left hand side between the Crown bus stop and Oakleigh. I remember the Whitewell Ice cream shop in Infant St., you could buy an ice-cream cornet for one penny. The ice-cream was the best in the world and nothing has ever matched it since. Wasn't the shop next door to Mr Marriott's (have I got the right name) who made meat and fish pastes. The glass-covered counter was full of large oval shaped dishes with the hugest variety of pastes available, again no pate or paste has ever tasted as good since.
Accy-mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2004, 10:58   #36

I remember Whitwells being behind the clayton con because we used to get dry ice from there and throw it in the cannal. we had 2 shops on the side of the bridge a second hand shop and a shoe shop this would be around 1969. The best ice cream ever that Has been mentiond was Birtwistles it was cheaper than all the others and better it was made from goats milk, as someone has already said he used to yell ice cream hear but he did'nt have chimes like the others he used to blow a whistle.
bobthedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 19:44   #37
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
This old sign made me wonder if they still exist.
sorry,this is 2009, but i'm new to computers,just read your thing on Accy web.Whitewell Dairies is no longer in existance,the building still stands,it's at the back of the con club.I worked there as a kid in the 70s,no HASW then,i was only 14.The place now sells catering equipment.If it's any use,Dr Lovelace's soap was accross the road,I know why because my dad bought the place.Hope this helps.
yours,
K Joinson.
kevj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 20:30   #38
I am Banned

Whitewells Dairies went years ago. If I'm not mistaken
Garth Dawson took over the shop when the dairies on Park St closed down.

Back of the Con Club where, every town had a Con Club, were are talking Accrington's Whitewell Dairies.

Just to add to the mistery of vanishing Ice Cream makers, who remembers Clemson, sold ice cream from a milk float round Woodnook in the 1930's

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 08-02-2009 at 20:33.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 20:37   #39
Caz
God Member

Think he means Clayton. Was whitewells ice cream, then Gazelle office furniture. Now it's a firm that supplies catering equipment.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 22:21   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post

Back of the Con Club where, every town had a Con Club, were are talking Accrington's Whitewell Dairies.

Retlaw.
Think he may mean Clayton Retlaw deducing that Dr. Lovelace's factory was down Clayton and Joinson is a Clayton Family. Could be wrong as usual though ...

See stupid me .. just seen Caz's post.. LOL

Last edited by katex; 08-02-2009 at 22:21. Reason: Wasn't concentrating
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 15:27   #41
cuz
Junior Member+

whitewells was bought out when they was sold to associated daries and was set up again in grimshaw street clayton le moors behind con club i worked there in 70s after school and school holidays for 50pence an hour it was owned by a guy called geoff newlove and dennis brown who bought geoff out and carried on running it himself till early 80s then it closed down and he set it up again somewere at broadoak until is death
cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 16:19   #42

Hi there - are you kevin Joinson as in you have a sister called Elaine (we were in Clayton Brownies together!) and you were in my class at Chris´s? If so, ...I was then known as Ann Jackson. I am still big mates with David Barrett and now living in Portugal. ....
Old 09-02-2009, 17:10   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Surely, it was Birtwell's ice cream that was made in Huncoat, wasn't it? I went to school with the son, Ian.
Only just seen this thread, yes Birtwells Ice Cream...by far and away the best ive ever tasted, much better than Whitewells IMO. A Lady also used to sell it from a freezer in her front room, on Sultan Street or Lodge Street.

Hudsons in Chatburn is i think about the best around here now, but its very expensive. Bonds Ice Cream at Elswick lovely too!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 19:25   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post

Hudsons in Chatburn is i think about the best around here now, but its very expensive. Bonds Ice Cream at Elswick lovely too!

Best Regards - Taggy
Nah, Holdens at Edgeworth

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 19:53   #45
cuz
Junior Member+

no my name is mick curry and i went to holy family my nickname was cuz worked at whitewells from about 1975 till i left school in 1978 then sometimes worked at weekends for dennis just to earn some extra cash
cuz is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..