Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2009, 06:57   #46

Re: Do Whitewells still do ice-cream?

Was there a colum in the Observer in the 60s headed as Join Joinson. Also I new a guy who lived by the canal bridge his name was Fritz and his mum ran a tobaconsts, across from the Con. 1960s.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-02-2009, 11:50   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevj View Post
sorry,this is 2009, but i'm new to computers,just read your thing on Accy web.Whitewell Dairies is no longer in existance,the building still stands,it's at the back of the con club.I worked there as a kid in the 70s,no HASW then,i was only 14.The place now sells catering equipment.If it's any use,Dr Lovelace's soap was accross the road,I know why because my dad bought the place.Hope this helps.
yours,
K Joinson.
I am trying to see if you are Kevin Joinson who went to St Christopher´s 71-76. If so, we were in the same class (Ann Jackson). You have a sister called Elaine right?
Old 13-02-2009, 18:46   #48
I am Banned

Just rembered another Ice Cream maker.

Donaldson's, used to go paddling at little Blackpool, then go up the path to Donaldson's for ice cream.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 20:22   #49
God Member

not sure how many Accy web users are familiar with the walk over the 'Nab' from Gt Harwood to Whalley but there used to be (late 50s/early 60s) a house/cafe just before you dopped down into Whalley which served home made ice-cream, stuff was delicious , bright yellow coloured stuff .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 11:52   #50
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
not sure how many Accy web users are familiar with the walk over the 'Nab' from Gt Harwood to Whalley but there used to be (late 50s/early 60s) a house/cafe just before you dopped down into Whalley which served home made ice-cream, stuff was delicious , bright yellow coloured stuff .
Eeew yes, I remember that one Steeljack sorta' row of cottages if I remember. Made the view of Whalley as you were going down the hill more pleasurable. Can you still do this walk I wonder ? Used to seem miles when I was little; bet not that far really.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 13:55   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Eeew yes, I remember that one Steeljack sorta' row of cottages if I remember. Made the view of Whalley as you were going down the hill more pleasurable. Can you still do this walk I wonder ? Used to seem miles when I was little; bet not that far really.
Brilliant walk....used to go over the nab lots at the weekend. Park at the Gamecock Inn and through the gate down from the pub (before the bridge over the Ribble) and then up the hill - where you could either split and go through Bowley or onto the top of the nab and down into Whalley. Had the neighbours dog with me most times - a golden lab, and she just loved going in the river and the streams around. Used to stink the car out coming home (wet dog not a good combo!). Then poor thing used to get hosed-down when we got back to the house in COLD WATER in the WINTER TOO!!
Old 16-02-2009, 05:30   #52

I think we should be on the nostalgia page really, but we used to go over the nab regular, with aunts & uncles on Sunday evenings in the summer, it was great, when we got to Whalley, all the adults would pile into the Dog Inn, for a well earned drink and us kids would get ice creams from a shop further up where the bus from Accrington drops off, Im talking 50 yrs ago. Is that shop still there.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 10:32   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
Didn't Whitewell Daries have a location on the right hand side (going uphill) near the bottom of Stanley Street?
They sure did and as a kid I used to stand and watch the milk bottle going round being cleaned
I dont suppose anyone has a photo of the place around the 50's/60's please
Siddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 22:33   #54
Junior Member+

Hi Red Rose ( Ann),yes I am Elaines' brother.I was pals with Dave Barrett at school and Nicholas Lord.Sorry about the delay in replying (1 year) I'm crap about looking at things on line.
I look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely,
Kevin Joinson.

P.S would Mr Green approve.
kevj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 00:38   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Just rembered another Ice Cream maker.

Donaldson's, used to go paddling at little Blackpool, then go up the path to Donaldson's for ice cream.

Retlaw.
According to my dad the best ice cream by far in Accrington, was "Holgate's"....Richard Holgate used to sell his ice cream from a horse and cart. The horse was stabled just off blackburn road in Accrington at the "labour club" which was was somwhere near the miners club near the old grammar school..I used to play there when I was a kid and seem to remember the labour club. The ice cream was made at home ...No 40 Frederick St, Accrington and production was halted due to the second world war. If anyone would like any more information on this I can put you in touch with my father
AngleIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:02   #56
God Member

Swales ice cream Clitheroe.
I was briefly aquainted with Ernie Swales who showed me the factory.
Our brief friendship wasn't long enough for me to sample the goods

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 13:40   #57

the best ice cream aroung barr none was Birtwells in huncoat!!!
Tickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 13:47   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickler View Post
the best ice cream aroung barr none was Birtwells in huncoat!!!
I second that!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 14:38   #59
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I second that!!

Best Regards - Taggy

I'd third that.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 16:47   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I'd third that.
I'll fourth it ... LOL.

He used to come down our street didn't he Bernard ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..