Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2004, 23:05   #1
Senior Member+

Foundry workers

Hi, anyone here work at Raistricks Foundry along Blackburn Road? Here is view shortly before they closed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foundry1.JPG (57.0 KB, 151 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-04-2004, 10:59   #2
Len
God Member

Re: Foundry workers

These photos where taken at RE Supplies, Gt Harwood back in the 1980's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fou3.jpg (95.6 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg fou2.jpg (91.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg fou1.jpg (85.0 KB, 77 views)

Donate to Accyweb here:
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2004, 13:35   #3
Senior Member+

RE Supplies

Hey, I am sure my couz used to work there - S Larder

Ring any bells?

Atarah
Old 17-04-2004, 14:11   #4
Len
God Member

Hi Atarah.

No sorry the name S Larder doesn't ring any bell for me but I shall ask my old man he worked there for years as a loose pattern moulder. I also worked there but in the sheet metal side of the business.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2004, 19:26   #5
Accrington Web Mascot

They both don't look like very safe places to work! Don't think I'd fancy wearing a gas mask to work every day!
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 22:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi, anyone here work at Raistricks Foundry along Blackburn Road? Here is view shortly before they closed.
i worked there for 30 years and recocnise both the men in the picture.i was the last person to work there when it closed in 2003. i could tell you many tales.
andyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 23:09   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

that means ya started around 73, andy which was after my time yon, probably Harry Sumner, would still be yon then.
Old 21-04-2010, 23:11   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortStuff View Post
They both don't look like very safe places to work! Don't think I'd fancy wearing a gas mask to work every day!
Gas masks only came in when the elf un safety act came in, before that it was like it or lump it.
If you got splashed with hot metal, the last thing you do is flick it off, grit your teeth till it no longer burns, otherwise it would tear the flesh & leave a hole.
Still got a black mark on my left wrist 65 years later.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 23:19   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortStuff View Post
gas masks twas a rag round yer gob n sacking round yer legs as retlaw will no doubt say.
Old 22-04-2010, 11:07   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
gas masks twas a rag round yer gob n sacking round yer legs as retlaw will no doubt say.
The only person I saw wearing a shield of any sort was the furnace tenter, he only wore it when he was tapping the furnace, the rest of the foundry workers prefered bell bottom fushton pants, and a long handle on the ladle.
The most dangerous thing Lang Bridges used to cast were Iron Rollers about 12ft long, they were cast on end to ensure a clean cast, trouble was if the center core wasn't dry enough, the center core was made on a long tube using a strickle board, then dried in an oven, any moisture and BOOM.
There was a special cast at Langs, longer than usual, we heard a rumble and everyone fled, and the center tube went through the foundry roof, and came down in the foundry yard 20ft away.

I can still se Alan Laraway who was pouring the metal, stood on a pile of casting boxes, jumping clear. The only one who couldn't escape was old Riley the crane driver all he could do was swing the ladle of metal away and duck inside his cage.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 22-04-2010 at 11:09.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 21:43   #11
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
yes i was the lorrydriver for a few years 1978/1981 .my dad was a plate moulder
untill 1960.uncle gorge was the owner
stuart braysford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 04:07   #12
Senior Member+

Just found a few more piccy's of Raistricks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Raistricks.JPG (111.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Raistricks1.JPG (42.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Raistricks3.JPG (31.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Raistricks2.JPG (19.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Raistricks4.JPG (14.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Raistricks5.JPG (18.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 15-07-2010, 17:22   #13
Junior Member+

thats my dad in the check shirt arthur braysford and jimmy raistrick stood behind him.
jimmy watson kneeling bout hat
Old 15-07-2010, 17:59   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart braysford View Post
thats my dad in the check shirt arthur braysford and jimmy raistrick stood behind him.
jimmy watson kneeling bout hat
i worked wi Watson as everyone called him, lived up spring hill.
Old 15-07-2010, 22:21   #15
Junior Member+

thanks for the photo of dad,never had one of dad at work.as a lad i went to see him
and it was like a hell hole with smoke ,heat,smell.thank you very much

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..