Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2005, 21:39   #1
Resident Waffler

Grange St for Martin

Only half of Grange Street exists these days. The other half was demolished when Wellington Court was built, part of which covers the area where that half of Grange Street once stood.

Fortunately the half which exists contains number 57 on the side of the street with the gardens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grange St 002.jpg (76.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Grange St 003.jpg (87.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Grange St 005.jpg (95.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Grange St 001.jpg (70.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Grange St 004.jpg (50.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Grange St 006.jpg (78.6 KB, 40 views)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-04-2005, 13:20   #2

Re: Grange St for Martin

This is fantastic to see where a relative I only founds out avbout on buying my aunt, actually lived. Know about merging to houses, did it 4 years ago. Now closing down my parents house! Dad died within a month of his youngf sister thn my gran. Lost mum 5 years ago. MAkjes you quite nostalgic for where you came from. I'll need to fins out who he lived with and ask about her. Will take a wee while. Personal e mail: [email protected] can you send photos there to so I can send to family. Work [email protected] sort of an rea is Grange street, if it was demolished was it a slum? m
martin murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 13:21   #3

This is fantastic to see where a relative I only founds out avbout on buying my aunt, actually lived. Know about merging to houses, did it 4 years ago. Now closing down my parents house! Dad died within a month of his youngf sister thn my gran. Lost mum 5 years ago. MAkjes you quite nostalgic for where you came from. I'll need to fins out who he lived with and ask about her. Will take a wee while. Personal e mail: [email protected] can you send photos there to so I can send to family. Work [email protected] sort of an rea is Grange street, if it was demolished was it a slum? m
Old 10-04-2005, 13:50   #4
Resident Waffler

I'll send you the original unshrunk photos.

I think it was demolished simply because they wanted to build the sheltered accommodation/old folks home thing "Wellington Court". The rest of the area around there is terraced housing.

It's all one way streets and no entries which is frustrating. The other side of Nuttall Street is as bad if not worse. You have to drive well out of your way to get back to where you want to be in some cases.

Maybe someone else knows more about the area than I do.

Old 10-04-2005, 16:13   #5
Full Member+

Thumbs up Re: Grange St for Martin

Hi Martin

I`ve checked the Accrington Observer archives for Leo Murrays death, but for March/April 1952 there is no record of his death/ funeral or interment but he could have been buried back home ( In Scotland?)
The Census records show the following details
1950 28 Grange St Arthur & Mary Jane Brown, Ronald Chevin
1951 28 Grange St Mary Jane Brown, Ronald Chevin, Leo Murray, Alice Hibbins
1952 57 Grange St Leo Murray, Alice Murray
1953 57 Grange St Alice Hibbins
The 1952 census would be taken about July 1951, showing Leo still alive. Presumably Alice Murray and Alice Hibbins are one and the same person.
Old 14-04-2005, 15:12   #6

Willow this is fantastic info. He was buried in Stevenston, where he came from. I knew he was living with a woman, but no one alive knew who she was. He seems to have died sauddenly I wondered if he was mentioned in the papers as having taken a heart attack. He died in the Victoria and had a post mortem. Until now none of the familty knew about him. My personal e mail is [email protected]. His death was registered by my grandfather's brother James. He died in 1969, and his son, the same tie as my mum, 2001. Once again many thanks. M
Old 14-04-2005, 15:31   #7
Resident Waffler

I sent you the photos Martin. Did you get them?
Ooops, just checked my email and seen that you did.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 14-04-2005 at 15:35.
Old 14-04-2005, 20:15   #8

Yes. many thabnks I really appreciate you going to all that trouble for me. I now know where he lived, and the name of his partner. Don't know if she's still alive or if they had family. I may have english relatives! Alice Hibbins appArently was her name, was still at the property after Leo died. However as I was not born until 1959, and he died 1952, I know nothing. Sadly his brother who registered the death died in 1969 so I can't aslk him. My uncle was only 7 so remebers little. sEEMS WITH mICKS HELP THAT HE ALSO LIVED AT NUMBER 28, BUT i TAKE IT THAT'S BEEN DEMOLISHED?Amazing there were 8 of them all gone now, Many thanks. Martin

Last edited by martin murray; 14-04-2005 at 20:20. Reason: ERROR IN SPELLING
Old 14-04-2005, 20:18   #9

Mick I wonder if you could check how long she was there, did she move after 1953?
Many thaNKS mICK, FOR HELPING ME. tHIS WAS THE INFO i COULD NOT GET. nOBODY ALIVE KNEW HIS PARTNER OR WHTHER HE MARRIED OR HAD A FAMILY. eVEN WHEN HE WENT TO aCCY WAS A MYSTERY UNTIL NOW. THANKS A LOT! ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Mick
Hi Martin

I`ve checked the Accrington Observer archives for Leo Murrays death, but for March/April 1952 there is no record of his death/ funeral or interment but he could have been buried back home ( In Scotland?)
The Census records show the following details
1950 28 Grange St Arthur & Mary Jane Brown, Ronald Chevin
1951 28 Grange St Mary Jane Brown, Ronald Chevin, Leo Murray, Alice Hibbins
1952 57 Grange St Leo Murray, Alice Murray
1953 57 Grange St Alice Hibbins
The 1952 census would be taken about July 1951, showing Leo still alive. Presumably Alice Murray and Alice Hibbins are one and the same person.

Last edited by martin murray; 19-04-2005 at 20:43. Reason: additional info
Old 14-04-2005, 20:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Only half of Grange Street exists these days. The other half was demolished when Wellington Court was built, part of which covers the area where that half of Grange Street once stood.

Fortunately the half which exists contains number 57 on the side of the street with the gardens.
mANY THANKS FOR THIS. i SEE HE LIVED AT NUMBER 28 AS WELL. IS IT DEMOLISHED? M
Old 14-04-2005, 22:15   #11
Resident Waffler

I didn't check the numbers on the even side but off the top of my head I would say that number 28 has been demolished as it was probably in the row which went to provide the space for Wellington Court.

Old 16-04-2005, 11:48   #12

Thanks anyway. Seems that was only digs. Who were the tracing agency you worked for? I did it for two peopl at work, one an adoptee the other a long term hospital patient, ad get them in touch with their families. Sadly I know he's dead 50+ years ago, but I didn't know him. He was the family black sheep of his day, as I am of mine! Our familt don't like non conformists. o you know if the Register GEneral does on line searchs as Register house in Edinburgh do, at a cost. I'm intrigued by Alice Hibbins, is that a common local name as its very uncommon in Scotland, only 2 people have it. That's the surname, not the full monicker! Regards and thanks. Good luck with the wedding. I'm engaged to do it again. 12 years and I still didn't learn, if as you say Leo and Alice lived together they must have been at the cutting edge in the early 1950's!!M

Last edited by martin murray; 16-04-2005 at 11:49. Reason: spelling errors
Old 16-04-2005, 14:58   #13
Resident Waffler

Hibbins isn't a common name here. I'd never heard it before.

I'm not sure what The Registrar General (or employees of) will research and at what cost these days. I've tended to do most of mine myself. If you wish to make enquiries by post or by phone you'll need to contact the Southport address. I have it somewhere if you don't.

Old 19-04-2005, 20:41   #14

I wondered as its only held by two people in scotland! I wonder how lobng she was there as we know she was there until 1953 but where she went is a mystery. Don't know the Southport address, Could search on a holiday, m
Old 19-04-2005, 21:57   #15
Resident Waffler

You can't actually visit the Southport office in person. They only take postal enquiries there.

The address is:

General Register Office,
Smedley Hydro,
Trafalgar Road,
Southport,
Merseyside,
PR8 2HH.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..