Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2004, 16:31   #16

I think its around black abbey street just not sure where!!!!!

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2004, 16:33   #17

is it at the back of the tattoo shop? near hope and anchor
ellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 19:25   #18

You sure "root & toot" in some odd places Atarah. Knowing where you live I mentally traced your route into town and will have a wild guess. Back of Abbey St near Black Abbey.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 19:55   #19
God Member

Back of wellington St? nr the club
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 20:30   #20
Full Member+

Is it the back of the row of shops on Abbey Street, viewed from the carpark behind the Canine Club??
Uncle Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 21:11   #21
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!
Bottom of Stanley St - Park St area ???
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 23:45   #22
Senior Member+

Mystery photo

Wingy and Owd Bert - nice one lads!

It is indeed the back of Black Abbey Street. The 3 storey rear view is actually the back of what is now the bedding shop. Not that long ago auctions were taking place in these premises, and the back entrance, off Jacob Street, was used. Before it was the Bedding Centre, it was a very well known shop, known as Saul's, it was actually what could be called Accrington's "first supermarket". Prior to that it was called "Bob 'olts" - but thats before our time! I believe Saul was the son-in-law of Mr Holt, or something like that ....
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 09:41   #23

With the greatest respect to our resident Local History Guru are you sure it was "bob olts" or "Holts" ? Have been in the store umpteen times as a boy and was fascinated with the cash system. Money was placed in a container, a handle or something was pulled and "Woosh" -- away shot the container to the cashiers office and then back again with the change.
However, the point I wanted to make was that I remember the store being referred to as "Bob `owts" ( anything).
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 06:30   #24
Senior Member+

Black Abbey Street

Well, Owd Bert, I am only going off what my gran used to tell me about it. I assumed she meant the "H" was just being dropped from the surname, if you say "olts" with a Lancashire accent, it does sound similar to 'owts' anyway.
Atarah
ps still no emails by the way.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 13:55   #25
Senior Member+

I remember Moffats in church street, they used to have the same system for the money bert.
Old 10-06-2010, 18:12   #26

Re: Guessing photos!

His name was Robert Holt, bright chap, invested other people's money for them, seems to have done well, not just a draper, bye Marie
Marie Ball is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..