Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-01-2012, 20:29   #16
I am Banned

Re: Hyndburn Park-one for the ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well I'll take a bow too that one Walter
Now thats the face I know well, keep taking the ugy pills, there working.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-01-2012, 10:21   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Now thats the face I know well, keep taking the ugy pills, there working.
Ya its a bind, unlike yourself who manages the same effect without any medication at all, it comes naturally
Old 20-01-2012, 12:34   #18
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya its a bind, unlike yourself who manages the same effect without any medication at all, it comes naturally
Clever beggar, I might not be an oil painting, but tha nod even a water colour.
Old 20-01-2012, 12:44   #19
God Member

Whose gonna be the slate scratching?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 13:58   #20
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Whose gonna be the slate scratching?
Thats a daft question, its ayther thee ur John, tek thi pick. It can't be me I've been having treatment from the Avon Lady.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Me on a good day.jpg (5.7 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 20-01-2012 at 14:04.
Old 20-01-2012, 14:29   #21
Junior Member+

Hyndburn Park Mikado

In my reply to one for the ladies, I mentioned the making of the stage for the Mikado.
I became an FE college lecturer in the '70s and came to realise the stunning effort that the staff of Hyndburn Park put into the production. No one at the school in those days was studying for any exam (some were-more later)Keeping the pupils motivated with almost no money or resources and it appears, no curriculum to work to, I now know must have been an uphill task.
The staff responded with flair and invention.
The Mikado project seemed to take over the whole school and gave everyone something to work towards. I suspect that the confidence and self esteem generated by being involved stood everyone in good stead for the rest of their lives, possibly far more than any exam success.
Another example of the Hydburn Park staffs commitment was to encourage final year boys to attend evening classes in engineering, which were held at the school because it was an evening institute.
You left school at 4 and returned at 7, three nights a week. Consequently, most of the final year boys left with a qualification, which led to an apprenticeship.
Ivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 20:51   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
littlepom is on here, so is Gillian Lightbrown, so am I .
Long while ago, anyone else on Accyweb on it?
.................................................. ..............................

I calculate that this was 1951. I can spot Allen Holden, 2 in from the Right, 2nd row from the front. I can't identify G Booth. What about Vinnie Cronshaw? More importantly, what about naming some girls.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 14:57   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
.................................................. ..............................

I calculate that this was 1951. I can spot Allen Holden, 2 in from the Right, 2nd row from the front. I can't identify G Booth. What about Vinnie Cronshaw? More importantly, what about naming some girls.
Littlepom(not her real name)-front row far left of photo.
Pat Mudd?-next but one.
Jean Gilbertson(my first crush)-fifth one in front row(pigtails tied with white ribbon.
Gillian Lightbrown?-tall girl, centre back row( parents had a pram shop?).
Neville Richardson- next to Gillian, her right hand side.
Vincent Cronshaw-second row, right side of photo.
Allen Holden-next to Vincent.
Behind Allen and Vincent a boy called Raymond? He had red hair.
I'm in the middle of the second row(just happened to be behind Jean??).
It was a big school,there must be other Accywebbers on the photo or hopefully someone can name some of them. I often wonder what happened to them all.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 15:25   #24
Senior Member+

Apart from her hair style, I would not have recognised Pat Mudd. My blood pressure is coming on so I will move on.....The pram shop was Lightowler's. What about the lad between you and Vinnie Cronnie? I have Vinnie's email address, also Nev Richardson's. Littlepom looks a cheeky little whotsit ( no change there) Can you send me the pic? I will send it to Acxcrington library.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 16:58   #25

Quote:
Can name a few, but don't think they are on Accyweb. Why did I always have to sit on the end! We all looked so young and innocent!!.
littlepom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 17:09   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Apart from her hair style, I would not have recognised Pat Mudd. My blood pressure is coming on so I will move on.....The pram shop was Lightowler's. What about the lad between you and Vinnie Cronnie? I have Vinnie's email address, also Nev Richardson's. Littlepom looks a cheeky little whotsit ( no change there) Can you send me the pic? I will send it to Acxcrington library.
Not so much of the cheeky you. It was Susan Lightowler she went onto the High School. Last I heard she was a teacher living in Canada. Have met up with Jean Gilbertson a couple of times. Margaret Churchill and the O'Brien twins. I also have 2 more photographs from the senior school now. Very kindly copied and given to me by Ian Procter.
Old 21-01-2012, 17:24   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepom View Post
Can name a few, but don't think they are on Accyweb. Why did I always have to sit on the end! We all looked so young and innocent!!.
But not for long!
You're right, Susan Lightowler- she was very tall.
Barry said he thought Jean Gilbertson had this picture with all the names on it, it would be interesting if he could check with her.
Which were the O'Brian twins and Margaret Churchill? I remember her name but don't remember twins.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 14:35   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepom View Post
We all looked so young and innocent!!.

Appearances can be sooo deceptive
Old 23-01-2012, 11:47   #29

Quote:
But not for long!
You're right, Susan Lightowler- she was very tall.
Barry said he thought Jean Gilbertson had this picture with all the names on it, it would be interesting if he could check with her.
Which were the O'Brian twins and Margaret Churchill? I remember her name but don't remember twins.
Sorry Gordon the twins only came in the Senior school. Margaret Churchill lived near Jean Gilbertson she was the tallest of us. (Then everyone was taller than me anyway). Will get the photo out and let you know the names I can remember.

Cheers.
Old 17-04-2012, 16:36   #30
Junior Member+

Quote:
Thanks for posting this Gordon I've been looking at iy on and off all afternoon, and I pretty well remember every face now, and some of the names.
I'm Alan Dickinson (front row boys 3rd from left) I'd love it if anyone wanted to identify themselves, who says nostalgia aint what it was.
Love from Brittany
Alan
jinglewriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..