Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-01-2004, 09:11   #1
Senior Member+

Hyndburn Road

Does anyone remember this one? The view is from by the side of Ewbank, looking towards the railways arches. The old Corn Mill can be seen on the Left Hand side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hyndburnroadearlyphoto.jpg (25.5 KB, 490 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 19-01-2004 at 09:15.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-01-2004, 09:37   #2
God Member

No traffic, no people......odd! I don't remember the houses on the left.....this piccy must be a coloured postcard 1900's possibly?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2004, 10:45   #3
Senior Member+

Good guess Tealeaf. This block of old cottages is well before our time. It stretched from the corner of Electricity Street to the old Machpelah graveyard. There is a photo in an old book of Accrington showing just a couple of the cottages left and saying that an unsolved murder took place in one of these cottages in 1904 - a Mrs Susan Westwell was murdered
Old 19-01-2004, 10:48   #4
God Member

Unsolved murder? I shall get on the case immeadiatly!
Old 19-01-2004, 10:54   #5
Senior Member+

Hyndburn road

The unsolved murder was August 25th 1904
Old 19-01-2004, 10:59   #6
God Member

Any idea of the motive? What was the cause of death?
Old 19-01-2004, 11:24   #7
Senior Member+

Hyndburn road murder

Hi, will have to refresh my memory. The cottages were based across from Ellisons Tenement where the fairground used to be. I think Susan W used to make cups of tea from her cottage. The motive was robbery unfortunately. I think they got away with very little cash, but .. they were never caught. Accrington Library have some newspaper cuttings with internal views of the actual sitting room where they attacked her.
Old 19-01-2004, 12:12   #8
God Member

Is'nt there a Westwell Street not to far away? Any connection, I wonder?
Old 19-01-2004, 12:28   #9
Senior Member+

Hyndburn road

Hi, dont think there is a Westwell Street not far away. You are probably thinking of Westwood Street
Old 19-01-2004, 12:40   #10
God Member

Oh dear. I think you're right.........still, back to the original thread. Am I right in assuming this was an old dear who made cups of tea for a few pennies and was murdered for the same? I know mugging old ladies is a common occurance now but it was pretty unique then...even when people stashed their money at home rather than use banks...Anything else you remember about the case?
Old 19-01-2004, 22:13   #11
Senior Member+

The address was 24 Hyndburn Road. Susan Westwell who was a widow and lived on her own. Her house was near to Ewbank works and across from Ellisons Tenement, known as The Accrington Fairground. She made a living by selling herb beer, headache powder and also supplied hot water to the workers at Ewbank and the gas works. Because the workers were used to seeing her up and about quite early in the mornings, when one morning her door was still closed, they became concerned and someone went around to the back of the house. They found her unconscious near the door, her skull having been fractured. The police and Dr Greenhalgh were called, but she soon died.
Susan W was known to keep money in the house amd was known to show this to neighbours.
They belive it could have been two lads about 17/18 years of age, but no one was ever charged.

Last edited by Atarah; 19-01-2004 at 22:33.
Old 20-01-2004, 01:51   #12

I remember seeing an old photo of that with a police man standing outside the door. I don't remember seeing the house but when they where pulled down, didn't they leave 2 standing next to the graveyard? thought they alwaus looked quite creepy! I remember the old mill house, it was always boarded up with a big tree covering most of the outside. Does anyone remember the house at the topof Plantation road? I remember playing up there as a kid, there was a big rope swing in the woods there. I know it was sold a number of years ago, is itb a listed building now?
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2004, 06:59   #13
Senior Member+

Plantation Road

Hi, you could either mean Arden Hall which is no longer there or Owl Hall. The house now referred to as Arden Hall is actually the coach house. There is a group at the moment called Friends of Arden Hall who I believe are trying to get the grounds of the original hall improved. Owl Hall is still there. A long time ago I used to work at Duckworths estate agents in St James Street. I am talking 1972ish. They were involved in the sale of Owl Hall and we, mere office staff, were asked would we like to go up there a couple of times and help by cleaning the silver and helping to "job lot" some of the items. How I wish I had had the sense then to take piccy's
Old 20-01-2004, 11:59   #14

arden hall, thats the one! well was the one! but its proberbly the coach house I remember
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 13:45   #15
Full Member+

I used to work at Ewbank in the late 1970`s so it`s very familar. We also used the graveyard as a shortcut from the fairground to the "Rat Back", the alley for Argyle Street and home!
Uncle Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..