Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2004, 16:33   #1
Resident Waffler

It rained!

Family Fun Day Sat 19th June 2004, St. James' church Accy. In the rain!

Then it came fine, then it rained, then it brightened up, then................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg June 19 2004 002a.JPG (98.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg June 19 2004 001b.JPG (97.5 KB, 73 views)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-06-2004, 20:54   #2
Member.

Re: It rained!

Nice willow...What the forecast for next week.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2004, 21:34   #3
Accrington Web Mascot

Some rain, then some sun, then more rain.......probably!
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2004, 21:37   #4
Resident Waffler

I was hoping for a bit of sunshine.

Old 25-06-2004, 22:04   #5
Member.

Hoping to get home 3 or 4 times next week...please Keep me posted.
Old 26-06-2004, 05:43   #6
God Member

There are people still buried under there. I am horrified. Have people no respect for the dead at all ?
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2004, 15:01   #7
Resident Waffler

There is now nothing to indicate where individual graves are apart from the few large monuments. All the other grave stones have been moved to make a pathway round the church. I presume this was approved of the the Church of England and that if anyone had any objections at the time they could have voiced them.

The "stalls" on this fun day were all run by churches. It wasn't a secular event.

It may well be that there are no living relatives of those buried there. What I find more disturbing is that one of the remaining monuments has been vandalised more than once - the one with the opheclide (sp?) on it.

Whilst we are on the subject - what do you read this date of birth as being? It was part of a "Treasure Hunt" quiz for the kids and the date we thought (and still think) it is was marked as wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg date.JPG (23.7 KB, 33 views)

Old 26-06-2004, 15:33   #8
God Member

I read it as ' JUNE 16 1825'

Some of the remaining monuments in that churchyard are listed, though I am not sure what grade.

Whats an 'opheclide'? I'm curious.
Old 26-06-2004, 16:09   #9
Senior Member+

Hi, an opheclide is a musical instrument
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2004, 16:12   #10
Resident Waffler

An opheclide (or however you spell it) is a musical instrument. It's on top of the monument with a sort of cloth draped over it. I always used to wonder what it was when I went past as a child and then a teacher told me. Apparently someone in the grave used to play one.

That date does look like 1825 doesn't it, but if you look again it can also look like 1823. Beneath it there is a 5 which isn't the same shape. I'm now curious to know what the correct date is.

If you look where I've traced over the two numbers you'll maybe see what I mean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1823_1859.JPG (21.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 3_5.JPG (24.8 KB, 39 views)

Old 26-06-2004, 16:27   #11
Senior Member+

The memorial in St James' Churchyard is to Adam Westwell, a prominent member of the Old Band which used to play in and around Accrington. It reads:

ADAM WESTWELL
Born June 15th, 1823
Died October 4th, 1859
Martha, his wife
Born 21st May, 1823
Died September 15th, 1881
Interred at Great Harwood

This monument was erected by the members and friends of the Accrington Brass Band in affectionate remembrance of ADAM WESTWELL, who for many years was a distinguished opheclide player in the above band. MDCCCLX

A few years ago the "statue" was taken down for safe keeping, eventually cleaned and put back.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2004, 16:40   #12
Member.

Accy History.....More please
Old 26-06-2004, 19:07   #13
God Member

Well, you learn something new every day. I had never heard of this instrument before. A bit of research uncovered the following.

"The Opheclide served as a tenor/bass pitched transition instrument between the keyless and keyed Serpents of the 1700s and the valved lower brass instruments of the mid 1800s. The idea came from the keyed bugles first invented in 1817 in the UK. The first Opheclide was patented in 1821 in France and a version was still listed in the French Cousenon catalog of 1910. Essentially it is a tapered tube about 8 feet in length and pitched in C (or sometimes in Bb) with a bell about the size and shape of a alto or baritone horn. They usually have 9 keys placed so the player can open and close a single or combination of large holes in the tubing - using two hands- much like the saxophones of today- but with the air column vibrations coming from the players lips using a euphonium size mouthpiece. Higher (alto) and lower (contrabasse) versions were also made."
http://www.rugs-n-relics.com/brass-p...opheclide.html

Apparently Berlioz' s 'Symphonie Fantastique' has a part for one of these.

I see what you mean about the date inscription. The comparison makes the number clearly a '3' and not a '5'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1850-opheclide.jpg (21.7 KB, 38 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..