Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2004, 15:45   #16
God Member

Agreed..

...That's the Antley Chapel to be seen through the arch
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-02-2004, 15:45   #17
God Member

Yep, China St, thats the one I was talking about in Owd Berts post about the house's going over the alley's
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 15:47   #18
God Member

I only know of 1 more and thats in Commercial St Ossy, apart from the 1 in springhill that was shown in Owd Berts post
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 15:51   #19
God Member

There's a few up Ozzy..

..but I can't remember the name of each street.....first one's south shore street, I think...
Old 11-02-2004, 15:55   #20
God Member

How do we spell...

Ozzy or is it Ossy?
Old 11-02-2004, 22:36   #21
Senior Member+

Ossy

Hi Tealeaf, its Ossy I believe. I have been to Blackpool today, not been in long, so...

Grade II listed in Ossy

Canal Warehouse, Enfield Wharf, Blackburn Road
Stable Block, East side of canal opposite Canal Warehouses
Fernery in garden of Henfield House, Blackburn Road (I cant believe I have just typed that!!!!!)
Dunkenhalgh Hotel Blackburn Road
Former Stable Block Dunkenhalgh Hotel
Holt Mill House (formerly Petre Arms Inn, Blackburn Road)
Holt Mill Cottages (2), Blackburn Road
Church of All Saints Church Street
All Saints Vicarage, Church Street
War Memorial, Mercer Park
Dunkenhalgh Cottage (Formerly Mercer Museum, Mercer Park) - This sounds very odd to me! I dont know Clayton very well, I must admit, but, I have never before heard the old museum referred to as Dunk. Cottage)
Sparth Manor, Sparth Road
Sparth House, Whalley Road
Bothy, Clayton Hall Farm (Bothy! What on earth is a bothy!)
Cruck Barn, Clayton Hall Farm, Clayton Hall Drive, off Whalley Road
Ice House, belonging to the demolished Clayton Hall (believe this was restored when Clayton Hall was rebuilt for a local businessman)

So ... there you go. Thats all I know of in Clayton
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:57   #22
Senior Member+

I have been under that arch many a time, the first job i had was there antley villa, dentist. MR BURY back in 1968.
Old 12-02-2004, 13:22   #23
God Member

A Bothy...

.......is a farmers/shepards shelter...they're the little one room stone buildings you see out in hill/sheep country. The word is quite common and has it's origins in Scotland, I think.

So, above: that's Clayton's list; what about Church?
Old 13-02-2004, 09:44   #24
Senior Member+

Grade II listed in Church

Hi Tealeaf, your wish is my command

Church Listed buildings

Elmfield Hall, Gatty Park, Hyndburn Road
War Memorial in Gatty park
Church of St james, Church Kirk
Church Kirk Canal Bridge, No. 112 St James Road
Canal Bridge, No. 11D Bridge Street
Canal Warehouse, Nos 49, 51 and 53 Blackburn Rd

(I'm sure I have already posted these, but ...cant find where!!! )
Old 14-02-2004, 14:05   #25

A good few years back i had a conversation with the then manager of Yorkshire Bank, Accrington about how difficult it was to get a pram up the steps. His reply was because it is a listed building there is not a lot that could be done.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2004, 17:17   #26

Re: Listed Buildings

can any one help me I am researching lost houses and have come across a house called Oak Hill Park Mansion. I don't know the area or any thing about the building. I would like to know if it is still standing or has it been demolished?
jada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2004, 18:48   #27
Senior Member+

Oak Hill Park Mansion

OAK HILL MANSION, A GRADE II , MEDIUM SIZED GEORGIAN STONEBUILT HOUSE WITH VICTORIAN EXTENSION.

Hi, yep, its still here, but .. its not as it was!
Oak Hill Park Mansion was the home of the Hargreaves family of Accrington and date(d) back to themiddle of the 18th century and belonged to the Woodward family. In 1815 the land was leased andn purchased by Thomas Hargreaves, head of the Broad Oak Print works. The original mansion was then built. Thomas died in 1822, and the house passed to his youngest son, Jonathan, who enlarged it by the addition of a further wing. He left the area in the late 1850's and afterwards the house was let to various tenants. A well known local poet, Mathilda Harris wrote a poem entitled "Reverie in Oak Hill Grounds" which speaks of neglect and decay of the "once noble and beautiful home". In 1889 the estate belonged to Jonathan's son - Reginald Gervis Hargreaves, who married Alice Liddell - the model for Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland". The council then purchased the house and grounds and in May 1893 it was opened as a public park and museum. In 1932/3 the museum received their most important gift ever, the collection of Tiffany glass through a local lad, Joseph Briggs, ex Accringtonian. During WWII the museum was closed to the public and this was the beginning of the end for the museum.
During the late 50's the house was closed to the public, although I believe an Ice=Cream parlour operatated in a downstairs room for some time. In 1990 the rundown house was put up for auction and in 1992 work began to transform the house to provide luxury
apartments for 12 elderly people, a housekeepers flat and a car park. The work was carried out by the Abbeyfield Hyndburn Society. So, although the house "appears" to be the old town museum, it has in fact been pulled down, stone by stone, numbered, and all put back together again. "Everything is not always whats it seems".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oakhillmansion.JPG (37.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Oakhillmansionc1990.JPG (40.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 15-03-2004, 14:21   #28

Must take you to task Atarah -- in your excellent account and history of Oak Hill Mansion you state, without reservation, " --- the Museum received their most important gift ever --- " that is purely a personal opinion. I would have opted for the marvellous collection of Butterflies.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2004, 22:46   #29
Senior Member+

With respect, the butterflies "have flown away" but the Tiffany glass still remains!
Old 17-03-2004, 06:46   #30

Very true and what a shame that the Butterflies have gone and bits of coloured glass are still gazed at with reverence. Ah well it takes all sorts as they say..(anyone know who "they" are ?) Pre-war days (ww2) my Dad took me two or three times a year to the Museum and it made a change from playing with my Gameboy Mark 0.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..