Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2004, 13:41   #1
God Member

Listed Buildings

Not quite a piccy this one - it's a Lancashire County Council chart of the number of listed buildings in each local authority. Guess who's at the bottom! No surprise really - we seem to pull one down every week..
Attached Images
File Type: gif Listed-Buildings.gif (25.2 KB, 208 views)
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-02-2004, 14:25   #2
Senior Member+

Chart

Hi Tealeaf, that chart is sad to see. Lets see, if, between us, we can think of all the buildings that were not given a higher status, and pulled down.

To start ..... New Jerusalem Church (this of course is now the car park for the Swan Pub on Abbey Street!)

But, I have to add, we have kept some marvellous buildings i.e. Market Hall, Town Hall, Bridges Corner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Newjerusalem.JPG (45.8 KB, 126 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 14:38   #3
God Member

About 150 buildings

..The surprising thing is that if you look at the bar chart there appear to be about 150 buildings in Hyndburn which carry listed status. The town hall, the market hall...OK...but where/what are the others? Anybody have any idea?

I remember years ago when the Arndale was built the Black Bull was pulled down over the weekend because someone was applying by court order to have listed status imposed, so the developers came in and pulled it down before that could happen.
Old 09-02-2004, 14:43   #4
Senior Member+

Sitting comfortably? Then I will begin.

Hi Tealeaf, here are some of the listed buildings in Accrington (notice I say Accrington, not Hyndburn - will have to search for those)

Grade II listed

St James Church
Pedestial of a sundial in St James' grounds (now moved for safety reasons I believe)
Adam Westwells monument in same churchyard (still there, facing solictors which is higher up than library)
The Library
Mechanics Institute, Willow Street (which is now the Registrars)
Baptist Church, Cannon Street
Con Club, Cannon Street
21 Cannon Street (dont know why, must take a look and see whats so special about it)
Richmond Hill Street Works (formerly Howard and Bulloughs Top Shop) - dont know if this is still applicable, will have to investigate.
St Peters Church, Richmond Street
Higher Antley Hall and Cottage Richmond Street

more to follow .....
Old 09-02-2004, 15:24   #5
Senior Member+

What about Saint James, church kirk i know part of the church is a few hundred years old?
Old 09-02-2004, 15:36   #6

Listed Buildings

Does anyone know if the Railway Viaduct is Listed ?
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 15:54   #7
God Member

Hi Janet,

Re: Church Kirk.........the tower at Church Kirk is the oldest structure in Hyndburn, and I think the Church itself is Grade ll* listed. The Stag at Church is the oldest pub, first mentioned in records in 1590, but I don't think that is listed. The derelict warehouse prior to the Commercial pub is also listed, but because the owner cannot be traced then the council are unable to deliver an enforcement order to get the place seen to.

Bert,

If the railway viaduct is not listed, then it should be - at least grade II. Did you know that Accrington Railway Station was one of only 6 of its kind in the country? Did'nt do it any good, mind; and I can't see the powers that be listing the bus shelter in it's place
Old 09-02-2004, 23:40   #8
Senior Member+

Listed buildings. and yes, the Viaduct is listed.

Hi, more listed buildings in Accrington are:-

Friar Hill Farmhouse (approached from Moorgate, Bedlam)
The building once used as Manchester and Liverpool Bank, on Eagle Street, faces the station, not sure what its use now is)
Crawshaws Hall, Blackburn Road (this was formerly a Baptist Church) - I dont know if the listed building status still applies, cos I know for a fact the building was pulled down and rebuilt. Its the building along Blackburn Road, just under the arches, and before you get to that set of lights at the bottom of Paxton Street)
Railway Viaduct
St. Andrews Church, Swiss Street
Dyke Nook Lodge, Whalley Road, also the gate piers and perimeter walls.
St John the Evangelist, Addison Street
Slatepits Farmhouse (approach from Plantation Mill or Miry Lane, Huncoat)
*Spire Farmhouse, Barn and Shippon, Sandy Lane
High Riley Cottages (did you know that Owd Bert?)
Higher Hey Farmhouse and Cottages (Approach from A56 by-pass)
St John's Church, Baxenden
Haworth Art Gallery, Manchester Road
Toll Bar House, Manchester Road (anyone not know where this is?)
War Memorial, Oak Hill Park

Grade I are defined as buildings of such great architectural or historical interest that they cannot be demolished apart from the most exceptional circumstances.
Grade II are those of sufficient architectural or historical interest that they cannot be demolished without very special reason
Grade II* are superior examples in that grade.

Last edited by Atarah; 09-02-2004 at 23:47.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:51   #9

What about the Railway bridge on Coach Road, it was renovated a few years ago.

Foxhill Bank House (I can get first hand information about that one), as I stay there when I'm over.

Ossy Tech school?

War Memorial on Rhyddings Street?

Library up Gobbin Land?

Ossy Town Hall?

The little building in Rhyddings Park?

I'm sure Tealeaf was in the Stag when it first opened, although I didn't get in until 16:00!!

Nice thread Atarah, I'll do a bit of diggin myself.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 08:51   #10
Caz
God Member

The Victorian Arcade

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 10:56   #11
Senior Member+

The Arcade

Yep, Cazzer, the Arcade is also listed.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:18   #12
Senior Member+

More Accrington listed buildings

Here's the final ones that I am aware of (for Accrington)

Mansion House, Oak Hill Park (this was also rebuilt, stone by stone, so, are they still classed as listed when they have been rebuilt? I dont know the answer to this)
Christ Church School, Rough Lee Road (This is now flats)
Fire Station on Manchester Road. Of course this is empty now, the new station being along Hyndburn Road. Wonder what they will do with the building. Had heard the Dog Handler's section of the Police were after it, and the Srmed Squad department.
Court and Police Station, Manchester Road and Spring Gardens
Former Red Lion Hotel, on Abbey Street. Known for many years as PV Tubes, not sure what it is now.
Warner's Arms Hotel block, Warner Street
The Arcade, Warner Street - Church Street
Market Hall, Blackburn Road
Town Hall, Blackburn Road

and thats all I know of at the moment
Old 11-02-2004, 15:39   #13
God Member

That's 36...

..by my counting, so it's probably any number between 33 & 39, bar 36.
OK - Thats just in Accy...........The actual number is 110 according to the Council/LCC - so where's the rest?

I've tried to find out on the web, but just can't find any details...any tips, Atarah?
Old 11-02-2004, 16:07   #14
Resting in Peace

where is this arch

do you know where this is then ??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arch.JPG (61.7 KB, 150 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 16:38   #15
mez
God Member

china st nr villa dentists ?
+

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..