Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-10-2004, 08:42   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: Mary's Music

Are we talking aboput the same vets? Mearley Vetinary Surgery?

The address is Kenyon Street and the entrance to the car park is on Kenyon Street, although to all intents and purposes is looks as if the vets is on Whalley Road. The only other thing on what is left of Kenyon Street is a taxi company.

Mole Street no longer exists does it? I think I recall the name but I don't remember Britcliffe Row.

There used to be an archway over which was the name "Mason's Yard" down another of those side streets, which led to the area round the back of the 'Hope and Anchor' by the looks of things but that is all long gone now and the archway has been incorporated into a house. I think opriginally there was a room or rooms above the arch but I may need help to jog my memory properly.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-10-2004, 08:43   #17
Resident Waffler

Vetinary???? Well, you know what I mean!

Old 19-10-2004, 22:40   #18

Wynonie, I forgot all those names, although I bought records from them. Good to know someone has got a good memory. Was there a pub called the Bricklayers Arms, in a side Street, near Mary's record shop.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2004, 07:29   #19
Super Moderator

Must admit I can't remember the Bricklayers Arms, Al (although I usually have a good memory for pubs!). The only pubs I can remember around there were the New Brewery and Royal Oak, but they were further up towards the "Pioneer".
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2004, 21:48   #20
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Here's one for the slightly senior generation. Can you remember this shop as it was, before it became a tattoo emporium? Any interesting stories to share?
Any chance of the answer to this one AB or is it too early?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2004, 21:56   #21
Resident Waffler

I don't think it was that sort of question.

Old 20-10-2004, 22:30   #22
God Member

It wasn't a quiz question bagpuss, more a sort of invitation to wallow in nostalgia. I like a good wallow now and again.
Old 21-10-2004, 07:56   #23
God Member

Small point, it isn't "vetinary", there is no such word. The correct term is "veterinary" from the latin veterinae meaning "cattle". Just thought that I would like to share that with you.
Old 21-10-2004, 08:29   #24
Resident Waffler

Thanks A-b. You'll notice I later remarked upon my abominable typographical error there!

Old 21-10-2004, 09:12   #25
God Member

So you did chuck, so you did. You may count yourself among the blessed for that.

You'll have to excuse me, I'm feeling a bit pontifical and evangelical today. Don't worry though, I'm sure it will have worn off by tea time. (exits genuflecting, amid a cloud of incense.)
Old 21-10-2004, 11:32   #26
Resident Waffler

I usually just count myself amongst those who have little control over their fingers at times. (either that or blame this wireless keyboard)

Old 21-10-2004, 12:06   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I usually just count myself amongst those who have little control over their fingers at times. (either that or blame this wireless keyboard)
Ditto...as I said Pig's Udders...or should that be Sow's Udders??
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2004, 20:19   #28
Accy Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
It wasn't a quiz question bagpuss, more a sort of invitation to wallow in nostalgia. I like a good wallow now and again.
Silly me, I had no idea that Mary's Music used to be on the corner, please forgive me on this one.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 21-10-2004, 20:20   #29
Accy Red

Silly me, I had no idea that Mary's Music used to be on the corner, please forgive me on this one.

Old 21-10-2004, 23:43   #30
Roy
Administrator

Mary's Music, a great shop! I did my work experience there and continued to work there for a good few years after. I do believe it's original position in Accy was down on blackburn road next to funnies nightclub. Does anyone remember it there?
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..