Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-10-2004, 07:43   #31
Super Moderator

Re: Mary's Music

I vaguely remember it. There was a dancehall above it which was also run by Joe and Mary...but Darby would know much more about all that, as it's more his era.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-10-2004, 22:56   #32

Was there ever a Bricklayers Arms in Accy?. What was the name of the street that ran down the back or Entrance to the hospital, I used to have a mate, Harry Gardner, who lived oposite, always wondered what happened to him, he was a headmaster. I think his dad was a Photographer, but he died in his 40s, Harry's brother, was Tony or (Fanner) was his nick name.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2004, 23:16   #33
mez
God Member

it was known as joe morts, i only went up once frightened me to death, much prefered to go to the empire,ossy, or the vic in clayton-le moors.
Old 23-10-2004, 09:19   #34
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin
Was there ever a Bricklayers Arms in Accy?. What was the name of the street that ran down the back or Entrance to the hospital, I used to have a mate, Harry Gardner, who lived oposite, always wondered what happened to him, he was a headmaster. I think his dad was a Photographer, but he died in his 40s, Harry's brother, was Tony or (Fanner) was his nick name.
The streets/road around the hospital are Whalley Road, Queens Road, Haywood Road and Garden Street. I used to live on Ramsbottom Street which as parallel to Garden Street and I don't recall there ever having been any pubs up there, least of all one called the Bricklayers Arms.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2004, 21:45   #35
Senior Member+

Mary's Music

Just seen this photo by A-Bob, is this showing the old entrance to Morts? i.e. next to what was Africa's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Afrikasoldpremisesoct2004_exposure_resize.JPG (89.5 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 23-10-2004 at 21:47.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2004, 14:46   #36
Resident Waffler

That was it wasn't it? That concrete looking porch type bit.

Old 24-10-2004, 18:06   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobsmacked
Ah but those were the good old days. Do you remember when you could go in a record shop and ask to hear the album before you parted with your hard-saved cash?
would that be Haworths piano shop in Abbey street
acertun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2004, 23:22   #38

Just found my old address book, W.T.W. It was 62 Haywood Rd. Also found the driving school I used in the 60s. It was JEM school of motoring, 54 Richmond St, Accrington, can't remember his name, but he was a really nice man. I remember Joe Morts, but never went up there, full of teds I think, When I started to go out to dance halls ( Arcs ) Teds were on there way out. But always remember sometimes they would dance in a group and stamp on the floor in there brothel creepers and make a hell of a noise and make the whole place shake.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2004, 06:58   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah
Just seen this photo by A-Bob, is this showing the old entrance to Morts? i.e. next to what was Africa's
That use to be THE CROWN (a Sam Smiths - Tadcaster ales house), locally known as the BIG CROWN as there was another Crown in town somewhere!

Joe Morts was further to the left as you look at the picture, and upstairs. As far as I can remember, Mary's Music started down stairs from the Dancehall (Joe Morts), but soon got too crowded and so they moved onto Whalley Road. That must have been about 1958 or so. The Morts went into disrepair and at one stage had to be "Propped" up with a hugh wooden structure as it was in danger of collapsing (too much Rock & Roll). I don't know what happened to Joe and Mary Mortimer...perhaps they finally moved away, as Mary always wanted to be next to the sea. I think Joe became a Conservative Councillor later during the 60's..I remember talking to him and Mary "up" the Con Club in Cannon Street, about 1968. I never saw him or Mary again after that.

Joe Morts Dancehall was famous for Rock & Roll, Teddy Boys and big fights. Some even with razors, and the Teds would come from Bury, Burnley, Preston and even as far afield as Bolton! Drinking was done at either the Big Crown, Imperial or even the Spread Eagle. The landlord at the Big Crown (1959-1963) was called Bernard, and wouldn't stand any nonsense from the Teds. I frequented the Big Crown regularly when I got home from sea (was in the Royal Navy in those days :engsmil: :engsmil: ), and got so regular that I was allowed to stay late and drink after time!!....a crime in those days....but only if you got caught!!!!

I can honestly say that I only once went "up" Joe Morts, and then didn't stay long (was on a Sunday Afternoon and the pubs had just shut). My missus went up there regularly...that is until she met me .

Knowlemere St. was the place I frequented until I joined the Navy, after that it was more the Empire up Ossy, and all the local pubs!!

Ahh a misspent youth..............
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2004, 07:47   #40
mez
God Member

the other crown known as "the little crown" is on whalley rd just in front of the new stanley football ground, i was once ,not long ago , asked to pick someone up from the crown & i didnt know where it was, until told whalley rd, to which i replied"o the little i know where that is " old habits die hard.
Old 25-10-2004, 08:58   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
the other crown known as "the little crown" is on whalley rd just in front of the new stanley football ground, i was once ,not long ago , asked to pick someone up from the crown & i didnt know where it was, until told whalley rd, to which i replied"o the little i know where that is " old habits die hard.
You're right as usual Mez. I'd couldn't recall where it was, now it's all becoming clear........Trouble was I lived up Dill Hall after 1959 and never made it past the Geyhound or past the Gray Horse..Big Crown was something else..use to have a group in the back room at weekends....It was nice and dark at the back of the pub...little bit of slap and tickle...Naughty days!!!!
Old 29-11-2004, 10:51   #42

I must say that I have enjoyed all of these threads. Certainly a sentimental journey. The picture above is not Joe Morts. Morts was further to the left of an old fashioned pub complete with vault, tap room and bar. In 1988 I re-visited this pub and found it to have been totally renovated inside and it professed to be a 'nightclub' Being one of Accy's original teds,1956-1961, I used to spend most of my time at Knowelmere st with Cliff or at Joe Morts. Not only did they run a rock'n'roll place but they also taught ballroom dancing. Morts did have a fearsome reputation all founded on myth, and it all helped to build an atmosphere about the place. There was rarely any trouble at all in the dance hall. I used to help Joe and Mary with the DJ duties quite often as did other of my teddy mates. There were only about five or six of us originally although the rest of Accy's youth soon were all wearing drainpipes soon enough. In fact alot of the crowd were from Haslinden. From time to time we heard that a lot of teds had come from Manchester and Liverpool and used to battle it out on Blackburn Rd. but I never saw any of it. In fact the Accy teds(including myself) were all wusses Had there ever been anything like that we would have quietly disappeared. At no time was I ever aware of Mary having a 'Music' shop under the ballroom. That's not to say she didn't. Because I am a newbie I haven't quite got the hang of all the different posts and threads yet and i'm not quite sure of where to post. Hope you all bear with me. I have asked elsewhere for details of Mary's shop and address. I can't remember where. I also gave a description of the clothes I wore during the late 50's. Again I can't remember where. Sorry all. I was going to continue but I think I'm getting off thread so I'll stop
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2004, 11:17   #43
God Member

No, don't stop. this is all fascinating stuff
Old 29-11-2004, 12:27   #44
Resident Waffler

I agree, and especially as my memory plays tricks and things turn out to be different to what I thought they were.

Old 29-11-2004, 13:47   #45

Keep going Terry....

my minds not what it used to be (in fact its better now than then). I was a bit too young for a Ted...and didn't start going to the "places" until 57/58 - 60.

Do you remember Jim Cross? he was a Ted...went to Ossy Tech, and had 11" drain pipe trousers. Good job he 'ad thin legs!! Jack Duggan was another Ted, but a bit later!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..