Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-11-2004, 14:52   #46

Re: Mary's Music

What was the name of the pub across from the bridge pub on church street?
was that not the "little crown? next to that was a cinama i just cannot remember
the name of them.
George Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-11-2004, 05:41   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Walker
What was the name of the pub across from the bridge pub on church street?
was that not the "little crown? next to that was a cinama i just cannot remember
the name of them.
I don't remember a pub opposite the "Bridge", but the cinema was called the "Ritz"
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 07:35   #48
Super Moderator

There used to be a pub on the site of the gardens behind St James's Church. I don't remember it myself, but my dad told me about it. It was called the Bay Horse, but it was known as the "Learner's Arms" because a fair amount of under-age drinking used to take place there.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 08:18   #49

Quote:
I don't remember it myself, but my dad told me about it
Not giving your age away eh! I believe that was pulled down before the war! (WWII not WWI)

Not that I remember it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

All my training was done in the Australian and the New Brewery....I use to wear short pants as well!!

Last edited by Darby; 30-11-2004 at 08:35.
Old 30-11-2004, 08:40   #50
Resident Waffler

The "Little Crown" still exists - it's on Whalley Road. Stanley's "Crown ground" is behind it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 10:00   #51
Super Moderator

The Australian? I seem to remember walking past a pub with that name somewhere at the back of Broadway car park around 1963 when I was 12 (oops! gave my age away!). If I recall correctly, it was all boarded up ready for demolition.
Old 30-11-2004, 10:07   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
The Australian? I seem to remember walking past a pub with that name somewhere at the back of Broadway car park around 1963 when I was 12 (oops! gave my age away!). If I recall correctly, it was all boarded up ready for demolition.
Pity you didn't go past 6 months earlier, they might have dragged you in and started you on your way down the slippery slope!!

There was a piccy somewhere on the site showing a view from the railway arches looking down on Bull Brig and the River Stink. The Australian was on the left as you looked towards the Odeon. Wasn't much but they had a serving hatch, where you could go and get a jugfull to take away. Just knock on the window and say yer dad wanted some mild! It was a long way to walk back to the Antley with a jug full of beer!!
Old 30-11-2004, 10:32   #53
Super Moderator

It sounds like my sort of pub! Sadly though, yet another one on the ever-growing list of great boozers that are now only a fond memory - the Bull Brig, Blockade, Union, Palatine, Langs Arms, "Big" Crown, Antley, Church Commercial...I remember them all!
Old 30-11-2004, 12:18   #54

[QUOTE=Darby]I don't remember a pub opposite the "Bridge", but the cinema was called the "RTitz"[/QUOTE There was a pub,i am sure it was known as the little crown.
Old 30-11-2004, 12:22   #55

Is the crown on whalley road not in altham and not in accrington?
Old 30-11-2004, 13:09   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
It sounds like my sort of pub! Sadly though, yet another one on the ever-growing list of great boozers that are now only a fond memory - the Bull Brig, Blockade, Union, Palatine, Langs Arms, "Big" Crown, Antley, Church Commercial...I remember them all!
Yes..sadly all now gone to the big brewery in the sky!!
Old 01-12-2004, 09:00   #57

Hi Darby. There was indeed a pub called the 'Australian' somewhere there but I can't even remember exactly. Getting back to Joe and Mary. They were both teaching ballroom dancing as far back as 1948. My parents were pupils of theirs and used to go in for amateur ballroom comps. They won quite a few trophies too. As far as I know my parents danced at Joe Morts, Cliffs along Knowelmere st. and somewhere else with a live band called Eddie Mcgarry and his broadcasting band.LOL. By the time I got into my teens I was also taking dancing lessons at both Joes and cliffs. This was well before rock and roll started. I remember that the top of the Pops was "trala la tralaladee it gives me a thrill, to wake up in the morning on Mocking bird hill, LOL Just before Rock around the clock came out. Then almost all of Accy's youth went to see Blackboard Jungle in Picture St. and that was the start of teddys and Joe and Mary started a rock and roll night and that was that. The rest is history. Because I was an avid music lover I used to buy all my records from various places in town. If Mary had have had a music shop I would have bought them from her. But as I said I can't recall her having one. However, having said that I gave up my teddying days and rock and roll about 1960-1 and didn't have much to do with Joes after that, so Mary could quite easily have started one from then on without me knowing.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:40   #58

Quote:
Eddie Mcgarry
and his band use to play the Con Club on Cannon Street regularly. Joe and Mary use to be up there as well, especially late saturday night as the bar closed formally, but not for those of us in the know! In 1960, I think it was, Mary started to sell old records and some new ones in the room downstairs from the "Morts" (the dancing was of course upstairs). She didn't do it long as Joe realised that there was a "market" for selling rock & roll records in Accy.

I'm not sure whether Mary had a market stall for about 3 weeks before they opened the record shop on Whalley Road - Mary's Music.

But the mind fades with age....suffice it to say...that the Morts and Mary's Music shop were a major factor for the youth of the 50's and 60's.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:31   #59

Thanks Darby. Yes I was going to mention the 'Con' club but I wasn't sure. I had been up there but I couldn't envisage where it was. I posted something in 'do you remember when.......... but it hasn't refreshed so I don't know if its in??? The page came up "page unavailable(damn computers )
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:57   #60
Super Moderator

I don't know about anybody else, but I love Darby's and Terry's reminiscences of life in 50's Accy. I was only a nipper at the time and it's all a revelation to me. In fact, I sometimes think I would have been really happy as a teenager in this era. I can just imagine myself donning my drape on Saturday morning, nipping down to the Co-op to buy the latest Little Richard album, off to the Spiders Web for a quick coffee, then onto a nice red-and-blue open-platform corporation bus for the short trip to Peel Park to watch Stanley play a thrilling third division North top-of-the-table battle, then it's off to Mort's in the evening for a night of jiving.

Can I have some more material to fuel my fantasies please, lads?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..