Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-01-2004, 10:21   #16
Senior Member+

Thanks atarah, will have a look at it when weather gets better.
Old 01-02-2004, 17:34   #17

it's only last year since i rode my bike down the old monkey steps... i used to go that way on the walk home from school .. hollins high.... if we walked down through oak hill park back in the late seventies....
carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 09:32   #18

We used to cut through the monkey steps on our way to school ( woodnook Sec )
Marl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 18:36   #19
Senior Member+

Re: Monkey steps

There can't be many threads which have gone on for as long as this one has. Started in January 2004 and active over 8yrs later.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 18:39   #20
Senior Member+

That was one of my route's home from school on many days back in the days...
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 22:59   #21
Senior Member+

Used to use the monkey steps to deliver papers every morning and night. Delivered for Sugdens on Plantation St and had one paper to Dr McGloughlins? just before Oakhill park gates. Don,t ask me how I remembered his name after 55 years. Didn,t the path come out on Sandy Lane by the "air raid" shelter?
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 08:46   #22
Senior Member+

Just been smiling to myself as to how things change. This thread was started in 2004 and mentions using the Monkey Steps as a quick way to the college. Of course that doesnt apply now, because the main college entrance is now just around the corner, past the entrance to the steps and in on Broad Oak Road. Also the Hargreaves Arms pub was mentioned. This of course is now known as Grant's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monkey Steps 2009a.jpg (394.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Monley Steps 2009 Manc Rd.jpg (319.2 KB, 15 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 11:14   #23
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Used to use the monkey steps to deliver papers every morning and night. Delivered for Sugdens on Plantation St and had one paper to Dr McGloughlins? just before Oakhill park gates. Don,t ask me how I remembered his name after 55 years. Didn,t the path come out on Sandy Lane by the "air raid" shelter?
The path came out behind the rear of Greensills dentists, and the loading area for the toffee works and Adelaide St back, it then led into the top of Adelaide St, the drive way into Highams was then on your right, don't remember any air raid shelter in that area.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 12:14   #24

This brings back memories I used to go that way to school 56 to 60!
hassy rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 12:50   #25
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The path came out behind the rear of Greensills dentists, and the loading area for the toffee works
How's that for ideal locating ?
Old 20-01-2013, 13:46   #26
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The path came out behind the rear of Greensills dentists, and the loading area for the toffee works and Adelaide St back, it then led into the top of Adelaide St, the drive way into Highams was then on your right, don't remember any air raid shelter in that area.
The air raid shelter is still there - it's at the bottom of one of my neighbour's garden on Queen Elizabeth Crescent. You can still see the entrance to it from Adelaide Street, it's a bricked-up former door in his garden wall. From what he's told me it seems that it was a communal shelter for local residents built by the owners of Bank house.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 18:12   #27
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
The air raid shelter is still there - it's at the bottom of one of my neighbour's garden on Queen Elizabeth Crescent. You can still see the entrance to it from Adelaide Street, it's a bricked-up former door in his garden wall. From what he's told me it seems that it was a communal shelter for local residents built by the owners of Bank house.
Went to have a looksee, seems the door in the wall has been restored back to its original state, couldn't get a photo, bloody cars parked on the kerb. Going round the back of Adelaide St, things have changed, part of the old toffee works has been knocked down for some reason, and the rear of Greensills has changed too. Its now over 65 years since I last went round there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Top of Adelaide St..JPG (292.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Tother end o Monkey Steps..JPG (396.5 KB, 22 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:32   #28
Senior Member+

The "air raid shelter" as I remember, was at the fork in the road at the top of Adalaide st. as the road branched left in to Sandy Lane, the right branch going to the Monkey steps.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..