Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-01-2004, 09:49   #1
Senior Member+

Monkey steps

Suppose quite a few of you dont know where these are? Still used today, if you are a brave person! Its a short cut from Manchester Road to the top of Adelaide Street, so if you were going to the college, you could use this route, but .... you have to be a brave person in this day and age! This view is taken looking down towards Manchester Road. You can vaguely make out North Lancs Training Building, which of course used to be The Tramway Public House.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monkeysteps1.JPG (71.5 KB, 193 views)
hassy rvr likes this.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-01-2004, 12:54   #2
Senior Member+

I did'nt know they were there. Next time i go to oak hill park i will have a wander up.
Old 30-01-2004, 12:58   #3
God Member

It looks like a nice place to make a TV advertisement for chocolate.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2004, 13:11   #4
Senior Member+

I know i'm going to regret asking this but, WHY? T.
Old 30-01-2004, 13:44   #5
God Member

It just does. Look at how many TV adverts you see on Telly where there's usually a young bloke chasing a young lass up some steps just like in our piccy above. usually set in Italy....it can be adverising anything from chocolate to cars. There's usually a church in the background, maybe a few priests & a few old dears.

Why can't we have the same advert shot in Accy? (Other than the fact we're pulling all the Church's down to build Mosques)
Old 30-01-2004, 14:54   #6
Senior Member+

Carefull tealeaf, remember what happened to killroy? lol.
Old 30-01-2004, 15:19   #7
God Member

He's been here?
Old 30-01-2004, 15:37   #8
Senior Member+

O'h my word T! what are we going to do with you?
Old 30-01-2004, 15:46   #9
Senior Member+

Monkey Steps

This is the view you will recognize Janet. If you were on the side of the Hargreaves Arms Pub, and was about to turn to where the Ambulance Station is, thats where you will find them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monkeysteps.jpg (82.5 KB, 125 views)
Old 30-01-2004, 16:01   #10
God Member

Can you imagine staggering out of the Hargreaves after 10 pints or so & trying to get up them steps.....no wonder they put the ambulance station nearby!
Old 30-01-2004, 16:10   #11
Senior Member+

Atarah, is that near the row of elevated houses?
Old 30-01-2004, 16:52   #12
Resting In Peace

Do they still call them "The Monkey Steps"?, well after all this time it seems that the old place hasn't changed that much. I used to live in Adelaide Street as a kid and we used to play in the monkey steps but I haven't been up there for at least 40 years. I wonder if anyone has any memories about that area in the 60s, if you have then you will probably know me, Everyone called me Ernest then, I hated it.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2004, 23:10   #13
Senior Member+

Monkey steps

Hi Janet, yes, after the Hargreaves Arms public house, you then pass the elevated row called Bank Terrace (built 1834), the oldest elevated terrace in Accrington. Then you will find the steps!
Old 30-01-2004, 23:12   #14
Senior Member+

Adelaide Street

Hi Ernie, I have always been told that one of the houses in Adelaide Street, about half way up, was haunted. Ever heard any stories about it?
Old 31-01-2004, 08:59   #15
Resting In Peace

I lived at number 14 which was my Grandma's house with my Mum, Dad, and Grandma and I cannot say that I have heard anything about a haunted house on the street, maybe it was a story that has started since I left in 1964.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..