Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-10-2013, 02:24   #31

Re: New Photo Competition 22

True. I suppose you could take a photo of a photo, as long as it was something personal which was originally taken on your behalf and with your blessing, and not taken off the Internet for example - then the 'new' photo would have been taken by the poster...... Bit tongue-in-cheek, but maybe this would be allowed. It would (loosely) fit in with the comp rules.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-10-2013, 06:16   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
And comp rules say that the pic has to be taken by the poster. .
ER no they don't please get your facts right and actually read the rules

so any member of your family could have taken the photo

I am getting fed-up of members not reading or trying to get round the rules if it carries on I am going to give up with the competitions
it also says if you have a problem or question to PM me

Last edited by Mick; 28-10-2013 at 06:23.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 08:59   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post

I am getting fed-up of members not reading or trying to get round the rules if it carries on I am going to give up with the competitions
No one is trying to get around the rules, just applying them in a way that still conforms to the rules but shows a bit of lateral thinking. I think your inference that people are trying to get around the rules implies mis-behaviour and this is not correct, also this is not the first time you have threatened to stop the competition saying you are fed up with members !!
Turtle likes this.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 09:25   #34

Mick, you do an excellent job with the photo competition - very professional, and have made it easy to enter for all. It's very interesting and entertaining to look at the varying interpretations of each chosen subject. I'm sure the others who participate will agree with me on that, and appreciate the work you put into it. So please don't stop running this competition. I just wish more people would join in - both with entering photos and with voting.
Turtle likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 09:52   #35
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Originally Posted by davemac
No one is trying to get around the rules, just applying them in a way that still conforms to the rules but shows a bit of lateral thinking. I think your inference that people are trying to get around the rules implies mis-behaviour and this is not correct, also this is not the first time you have threatened to stop the competition saying you are fed up with members !!
Are you sure no one is trying to get around the rules?

There was someone blatantly encouraging another member to be deceitful in competition 21.

Quote:
I don't think it matters about the pint, its basically your photo, besides if you hadn't said, who would have known.
No wonder with all the work Mick puts in he gets annoyed when members show such disrespect for what is after all a competition the reward for winning is to choose the next subject, not really mega bucks tempting you to fiddle, get into the spirit of the comp' or don't enter it, but don't criticise Mick for your own shortcomings.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 10:46   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

There was someone blatantly encouraging another member to be deceitful in competition 21.

Quote:
I don't think it matters about the pint, its basically your photo, besides if you hadn't said, who would have known.
No wonder with all the work Mick puts in he gets annoyed when members show such disrespect for what is after all a competition the reward for winning is to choose the next subject, not really mega bucks tempting you to fiddle, get into the spirit of the comp' or don't enter it, but don't criticise Mick for your own shortcomings.
Taken out of context like that it sure looks like I am mounting a mass insurrection, a mass trespass of the rules and regulations on the website, but lets put it back on to a common sense level. What is it that I am doing that extracts these comments, I am posting photos, all within the size that the rules dictate they must be, and in the numbers set by the moderators. I have not broken any rules, or tried to manipulate the breaking of any rules, or even encourage anyone else to break rules.

I am not criticising Mick, just his application of the rules, the application of which I think are wrong, you will not be aware of this as it was conducted under the PM system, and rules dictate they must not be made public.

Mick is however very fortunate that he has a friend who will step in and defend him regardless of the facts, although I am sure Mick has the capacity to speak for himself. However feel free to put your two pennyworth in on a matter that you are not fully aware of. I am sure there is a rule about that.
Turtle likes this.
Old 28-10-2013, 11:18   #37

New Photo Competition 22

I took nothing out of context, it was a direct quote of what you posted.
If you don't like the rules or the way the competition is run, then don't enter it.
Mick works hard for the site he doesn't need you to tell him how to do his job.
You seem to enjoy the competition, so enter it with a spirit of fair play and stop nit picking.
Old 28-10-2013, 11:49   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
I took nothing out of context, it was a direct quote of what you posted.
If you don't like the rules or the way the competition is run, then don't enter it.
Mick works hard for the site he doesn't need you to tell him how to do his job.
You seem to enjoy the competition, so enter it with a spirit of fair play and stop nit picking.

I am abiding by the rules, and perhaps if you read them you would see what you accused me of was incorrect, you said There was someone blatantly encouraging another member to be deceitful in competition 21.
I know you kept it vague on purpose, but the implication was that it was me, if you are going to accuse me, say so

Also perhaps if you read the rules you would see that you are I am abiding by the rules, and I quote the rules of this competition;

Photo's altered with image editing software will be allowed.

so the insertion of a pint by another member was well within the rules, and perhaps, it is not myself that is nit picking, or encouraging other members to be deceitful.

I am not questioning Mick's hard work on this site, but I am entitled to speak out if I am accused of breaking the rules when I am not, in fact I go a lot further than most to make sure my contribution is within the rules.

So go and have a look at the rules, and perhaps your next contribution will not be so accusatory, and may even contain contain a statement that my adherence to the rules is correct. Or is this not really about the rules ?
Turtle likes this.
Old 28-10-2013, 11:50   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Turtle I know what you mean but I wonder if part of the problem is that 'memory' photos are taken by someone else which evoke a memory in us when we see them. And comp rules say that the pic has to be taken by the poster. I must say I am finding it difficult to find something suitable in my back catalogue.
Hi Susie. Yes, the subject I originally suggested has evolved a little as members posted their photos, mine included. That's part of the beauty of this competition, I think, in seeing how different people bring their own interpretations to the theme. I was mindful of the rules before I posted old photos taken by my father, and after reading them felt it was ok. I have no wish to get around the rules - I respect them, and the Mods who work so hard on our behalf.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 11:54   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
True. I suppose you could take a photo of a photo, as long as it was something personal which was originally taken on your behalf and with your blessing, and not taken off the Internet for example - then the 'new' photo would have been taken by the poster...... Bit tongue-in-cheek, but maybe this would be allowed. It would (loosely) fit in with the comp rules.
Hi Dotti. As you see from my reply to Susie, I believe the rules are ok with photos taken by family members. I have no wish to get around the comp. rules. If I have done so, I will fess up.
Old 28-10-2013, 11:57   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Thank you davemac, you express it well when you say 'lateral thinking'. As I said to Susie, the joy in this comp. is in seeing different interpretations. I don't think anyone is out to deliberately flaunt the rules.
davemac likes this.
Old 28-10-2013, 12:01   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post

Hi Mick. I hear your frustration, but I really don't think anyone is deliberately trying to get around the rules, or make your job more difficult. I know I've made a couple of blunders, and for that I'm truly sorry.
davemac likes this.
Old 28-10-2013, 12:08   #43

New Photo Competition 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I am abiding by the rules, and perhaps if you read them you would see what you accused me of was incorrect, you said There was someone blatantly encouraging another member to be deceitful in competition 21.
I know you kept it vague on purpose, but the implication was that it was me, if you are going to accuse me, say so

Also perhaps if you read the rules you would see that you are I am abiding by the rules, and I quote the rules of this competition;

Photo's altered with image editing software will be allowed.

so the insertion of a pint by another member was well within the rules, and perhaps, it is not myself that is nit picking, or encouraging other members to be deceitful.

I am not questioning Mick's hard work on this site, but I am entitled to speak out if I am accused of breaking the rules when I am not, in fact I go a lot further than most to make sure my contribution is within the rules.

So go and have a look at the rules, and perhaps your next contribution will not be so accusatory, and may even contain contain a statement that my adherence to the rules is correct. Or is this not really about the rules ?
Will you make your mind up?

I was either being vague when I did a direct quote of what you posted or I actually accused you.

Let me clear it up for you, I accused you.

You tell me I don't know all the facts because this is under discussion within the PM system.

If that is the case, don't post without giving all the facts that is you just stirring the pot.

As for the rules I was there when they were written, so stop your public tantrum It's Micks competition those are his rules, play by them other folk manage to.
Old 28-10-2013, 12:25   #44

Quote:

Quote:
For the record, Less. Davemac did not encourage me to break the rules in Comp. 21. I had read the rules, particularly the one that said photos using image editing software are allowed. I didn't feel comfortable with my photos result, and said as much publicly. I encouraged Mick to remove it if HE felt it was out of line. He didn't, left it in the comp., and warned me to 'be careful' in future. I respect this, and Mick's decisions. Who are you now, to come forward and attack davemac for essentially agreeing with Mick's position on this? Perhaps you are engaging in some nit-picking of your own? What is YOUR agenda, Less?
davemac likes this.
Old 28-10-2013, 12:25   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Will you make your mind up?

I was either being vague when I did a direct quote of what you posted or I actually accused you.

Let me clear it up for you, I accused you.

You tell me I don't know all the facts because this is under discussion within the PM system.

If that is the case, don't post without giving all the facts that is you just stirring the pot.

As for the rules I was there when they were written, so stop your public tantrum It's Mick's competition those are his rules, play by them other folk manage to.
So you make no acknowledgement about the rules or whether I have conformed to them, its as if you have ignored my previous posting and just carried on with your accusations.

I was not having a tantrum, you poked your nose into a conversation I was having with Mick, you know nothing of what has gone on, yet decided to accuse me of breaking the rules and encouraging others to be deceitful.

Perhaps the nit picking has been placed in the wrong direction, and lets just contemplate who really is having a public tantrum. To repeat myself, perhaps this is not about the rules!
Turtle likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..