Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2004, 16:52   #16
God Member

Re: OK. Now we get serious!

The public right of way that passes the front of this building dates to circa 1790-94.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-07-2004, 16:53   #17
Member.

Up Altham way or Huncoat?
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 16:53   #18
God Member

I've got a problem with my machine here......anyway, I'll stick my neck out and make it short......is this the remnants of a coal mine, the building being the housing for the engine?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 16:55   #19
Member.

Old Engine House up Altham........
Old 28-07-2004, 17:00   #20
God Member

Close to Altham but not an Engine House.
Old 28-07-2004, 17:04   #21
Member.

Church/Meeting house?
Old 28-07-2004, 17:17   #22
God Member

I'm certain it's not an abandoned farmhouse.....what about a cornmill..maybe waterdriven, water diverted/dried up?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 17:32   #23
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

There is a cornmill in Altham, but it is now a commune with a few families living there, and it is still on the river and it is definately not this building. I wonder wether Altham had more than one cornmill??

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 18:24   #24
God Member

All good creative solutions, but all, alas, wrong.
Old 28-07-2004, 18:33   #25

I'm not convinced it isn't some kind of farm building; perhaps for storage? Having said that, I've never seen it as far as I know so don't know the locality.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 19:06   #26
Member.

Wheel House, Pump house or is it part of the workhouse
Old 28-07-2004, 19:29   #27
God Member

Workhouse???

I suppose this is where I make like an Estate Agent.

LOWER CLOUGH BANK

What we have here is a rustic dwelling comprising a basement room to the rear of the property, two rooms to the principal floor and two bedrooms to the upper floor. The property would benefit from some renovation and would suit a couple interested in DIY.
Especially as the upper floor, inner walls and roof are missing. To the north the property has excellent views towards Pendle Hill, The property is situated adjacent to the tow path of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal (in this part, Circa 1790-94). Outside the property there are the usual ruined outbuildings and muddy paths.

The actual date of construction of this bijou residence is any time between 1790 and 1900. And there is some evidence that it was once connected to the local electricity supply. Interestingly, immediately outside the property, on the other side of the canal is a swing bridge, held in a permanently open position. Perhaps this gives some clue as to the original reason for the property's isolated position.
Old 28-07-2004, 19:37   #28
Member.

Nice one bob this is good stuff, the referance to the workhouse was in respect of a property call Workhouse Farm.............Next.
Old 28-07-2004, 19:45   #29
God Member

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I have had a hoot with it too.

Sadly though, you will have to hang on for more till the dog drags me out on a l-o-n-g walk the next time I can scive a day off.

Still, now that I have told you all where it is, does anyone know anything about the property?
Old 28-07-2004, 19:49   #30
Member.

No bob, I'm clueless. I've been over what maps I've got but still can't find it. But trying to find out will give me something do I suppose. Again thanks for the effort you put in to it. Excellent stuff.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..