Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2004, 21:13   #31
God Member

Re: OK. Now we get serious!

Locate Burnley Road Cemetery, Bolton Avenue runs along the eastern edge down to the junction with Whinney Hill Road. A little east on Whinney Hill road there is a footpath that passes the RSPCA Centre and crosses the M65 via a footbridge. There on the bend in the canal there is the swing bridge and the house.

Map Ref. Lat: 53.46.7 Long: 2.21.5W
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-07-2004, 21:17   #32
Member.

Ok got it. Thanks bob.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 07:59   #33

Hmm, has it not been snapped up by a would be developer yet?
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 09:19   #34

My parents friend used to live down by the canal, can see his old house from the m65. I wonder if its anywhere near that. I always loved going on the barge
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 10:53   #35

So are we presuming the structure was the home of a bridgekeeper whose duty was to open and close the bridge to accomodate passing traffic?

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 14:26   #36

Went up to have a look earlier this afternoon. Got stung by nettles and pricked by thistles all over the place (was wearing shorts) but it was quite interesting to hunt it down. All I can add is that each room had a fireplace which are still more or less intact, and there are the remains of a building/structure to the right as you look at the picture. A fields length away from this building are the remains of what I presume to be a farmhouse, this lies right next to the canal bridge.

I couldnt find what I would call a footpath though....I had to ask the RSPCA where it was and I just got pointed in the direction of a field with sheep/rams in it, had to climb over/under/through numerous fences and also walk right through the middle of a herd of cows. I think I took the wrong route...........
Old 29-07-2004, 14:43   #37
Member.

Any chance of a rebuild?
Old 29-07-2004, 14:49   #38

I'm not any sort of authority on building work and structural integrity etc. but I would say probably. It is literally just a shell though, very overgrown both outside and in, plus there isn't a road of any description anywhere near the house, any potential residents would have to enjoy the isolation - still, cracking views.
Old 29-07-2004, 14:50   #39
Member.

Perfect that. Offers
Old 29-07-2004, 14:57   #40

There is a low voltage power line almost directly overhead too, but a transformer would have to be installed near the house. To be honest I couldn't see any evidence that it was once connected to the power supply unless I missed something, so it would have to be fully kitted out electricity wise. Telephone cable overhead too/
Old 29-07-2004, 14:59   #41
Member.

Anyone any Idea when it was last used
Old 29-07-2004, 17:09   #42
God Member

It has been derelict as long as I have known it, though when I first saw it in the very early sixties it still had it's roof. So my guess is that it would have been abandoned around the start or finish of WW2.

Hey Ceejache, I'm impressed that you should want to go out and find it. I hope you enjoyed the walk despite the nettles. It,s actually easier to get to if you get on the canal at Clayton. I should have told you that, sorry! If you look on the front of the building about halfway up on the left hand side there is a rusted metal cable bracket which I reckon is the support for the electricity cable.
Old 29-07-2004, 19:36   #43

I don't go back to work until September so I have plenty of time on my hands AB, I have always enjoyed anything historical too so it was an interesting hour or so!

I saw the rusty metal bracket but didn't really give it a closer inspection - just thought it was where a lantern or suchlike might have been positioned.

Anything else for me to investigate?
Old 30-07-2004, 07:45   #44
Senior Member+

Hi, cos you said it was between the canal bridge going down to the Walton Arms and Pilky Bridge on the main Padiham to Clayton rd, I too went investigating. If you have transport, its best to park by the Canal Bridge going down to the Walton Arms and walking on the canal bank or parking by Pilkington Bridge on Clayton/Padiham road.
Here's a couple of photos, if you look ever so closely at the RH side of the second photo, you can just see the edge of the ruin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruin.jpg (65.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Ruin1.jpg (78.4 KB, 34 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 18:17   #45
God Member

Well done Atarah, good pics too. The view from this spot has to be one of the best in the borough.

That gives me an idea. How about a new thread called 'my favorite view' or 'The Best View in Hyndburn'? Anyone want to start it???

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..