Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2004, 08:37   #16
God Member

Re: Old Map of Accy - 1890(Wrong!)

The West Accy map has the Queens Hotel on Church Lane (built 1903), the Railway Station has redeveloped around 1901 (I think), but best of all - what was the Church Conservative Club (now the shop selling push-bikes and motor car spares)......built 1923 (at least that's what the stone says)

East Accy....something in my head says the old baths were built in 1909 or 1911...was'nt their a plaque or something in the entrance giving the date? I dunno, I may be wrong.

I think the possibility we have 2 maps here is a very distinct one.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-03-2004, 16:15   #17

I mentioned about Accrington House in a previous posting on this thread. It was demolished in 1889 so even if the map was published in 1890 it was slightly inaccurate although there is nothing unusual in that. No doubt the Cartographers had not updated their software.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 16:23   #18
God Member

Accy East -The other interesting point is that pubs are indicated by PH on the map (although sometimes it my be hotel) The Bay Horse (I think) is to be found on Church Street, in front of the Church....according to Atarah, this was demolished in 1920; at the same time, we can see the site of The Lark Inn on Abbey Steet (previously mentioned in the photo's section) and it is the same on the map as it is today. The pub was closed in 1906 and there is no reference to PH on the map, suggesting at least that this is post 1906.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:25   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
suggesting at least that this is post 1906.
I have to agree as my house is on and it was built in 1908
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 20:01   #20

Will probably get in trouble for not starting a new thread but seeing this has been about an old map thought it may be of interest to the dedicated few who have posted here.
I have two old local maps from this company which is at www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk
Old 13-03-2004, 14:59   #21

Accy East -- As KSH`s house is on and was built in 1908, and mine, which was built 1911 is not shown, seems we can pinpoint to within 3 years. The odd thing about this though is that Oswald St and others in the area are built on the site of Accrington House which as I mentioned earlier was demolished in 1889 ( Library Records). Feel sure Oswald St was built before 1908 but will check. Must sort this out I reckon.
Old 14-03-2004, 15:41   #22
Accrington Web Mascot

How do you all know so much about when everything was built & demolished? I'm beginning to wonder about the ages of you Accy Webbers!!!
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2004, 08:33   #23

Well, as far as I am concerned, have long been interested in "Old Accy & District" and have spent hours in the Local Studies Dept at the Library. Arising out of this I think we can take it for granted that "Accrington House" was demolished in 1889 (Library Records) and that it was on the site of present day top-block of Oswald Street. That block or terrace was built in 1891 ( info from a friend who lives there). I am convinced that the East Section of the Map we have been discussing is dated correctly although I have misgivings about the West section. Will be researching one particular aspect of the West Section as soon as possible.
Old 15-03-2004, 08:49   #24
God Member

I'm convinced that the west section is indeed much later....certainly about 1923 (Because of Church Con Club being on the map)...however, the railway is marked Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway, a title which ended in 1923 with the railway amalgamation into the LMS railway.

Another interesting comparative point between the East & West sections of the map is that on the latter several council district wards are indicated as such, in quite a modern typeface which appears to have been overprinted on the map. I am not aware of the Ordnance Survey, in any of their map series, indicationg council ward boundaries. The East map has nothing like this.

I think this is a mess-up all round on the part of LCC archives dept. The map is not 1890's and in fact may be 2 distinct maps with different and later dates. It makes you wonder what else they may have got wrong. Anyway, someone needs to tell 'em.
Old 15-03-2004, 09:39   #25
God Member

There's some interesting maphs on this site:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb...._pages/lan.htm
Old 15-03-2004, 09:53   #26

Further to my earlier posting -- should have mentioned that there is a lot of info on this website, a lot coming from the previous poster and others -- with special mention of Atarah.
Can we perhaps compile a few specific points re-the West Section before contacting LCC ? I have one particular item in mind which I feel sure I can verify by tomorrow.
Old 15-03-2004, 09:56   #27
God Member

Fine by me Bert........I'm shy in contacting anyone, as you know.
Old 15-03-2004, 10:36   #28
mez
God Member

wot you shy ///
Old 16-03-2004, 15:14   #29

Re West Map Section -- Verified what I had in mind, namely that Lang Bridge Works was built in the Exchange St area c1904. The firm was originally in Paradise St and they moved in 1905.
Old 16-03-2004, 15:42   #30
God Member

Good one Bert......did you notice the old Ewbank factory, close to the old Baths? I don't know when they moved on to Hyndburn Road.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..