Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-03-2004, 15:49   #31
God Member

Re: Old Map of Accy - 1890(Wrong!)

Bert made a posting today - a piccy "Arden View 1909 " of which the emerging concensus appears to be that it ison the gardened terrace on Plantation Street....Sure enough, our map (above) has the very same terrace on there..19 years before they were built.

I think I've cracked it now. The map is a 1:2500 scale first surveyed in 1890; there was a subesequent re-survey in 1909, and another one in 1929. The map of Accrington (East) is the 1909 resurvey (published 1911) while the map of Accy (West) and Church is actually the 1929 resurvey (published 1931).....in the time scale, quite a few years from 1890!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-03-2004, 10:12   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Bert made a posting today - a piccy "Arden View 1909 " of which the emerging concensus appears to be that it ison the gardened terrace on Plantation Street....Sure enough, our map (above) has the very same terrace on there..19 years before they were built.

I think I've cracked it now. The map is a 1:2500 scale first surveyed in 1890; there was a subesequent re-survey in 1909, and another one in 1929. The map of Accrington (East) is the 1909 resurvey (published 1911) while the map of Accy (West) and Church is actually the 1929 resurvey (published 1931).....in the time scale, quite a few years from 1890!
`

I'll do a bit more checking...but your theory sounds credible...and probably right!!

There's nowt like a Church lad to do t'job!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2004, 10:20   #33
God Member

I'm pretty certain of it...in fact, you've got Church Conservative Club on the map..and when I checked the weekend before last the build date is 1927 (I originally thought 1923).

I also walked past the Palladium in Ossy (not shown on the West map) and I have a recollection of seeing a date on there of 193? ....but I could'nt see anything this time. I also recall a date stone on the school opposite (again not on the map) and again I'm sure this was 193?....anyone any ideas
Old 29-03-2004, 10:30   #34

Which Map are we now talking about ? If it is the West one I agree it has wrong date but I have replied to Lindsay who said that my "Arden View 1909" was in Plantation St to tell her to look again as she is wrong. Did you (Tealeaf) get my PM about this ?
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2004, 10:44   #35
God Member

I did Bert....so I'll put the East Map on hold...but I'm still sticking by the West Map, which I'm convinced is the 1929 Survey. As above, this map does not have the Palladium or the Technical School (opposite each other on Union Road) on the map..it is my belief that both of these buildings are of 1930's construction....if they are earlier - say 1920's - then that would blow my theory out of the water.

But back to the East Map....and also the last picture posting of Accy Station circa 1905....I know that Church station was extensively redeveloped in the early 1900's and I'm certain Accrington was at the same time. That's why I think the picture is of a relatively new station. It is this station - I'm convinced - which is shown on the East map, which must make the East Map 1909. But I still can't be 100% certain.
Old 24-06-2004, 09:40   #36
Resident Waffler

My house was built in 1900 (have it on the deeds) but isn't shown on the Accy East map so that one must be before 1900.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004, 09:48   #37
God Member

Old 24-06-2004, 09:50   #38
Resident Waffler

Got what the wrong way round?

The map shows the road where my house now is, but the row of houses which includes mine is not on the map. Therefore the map must be prior to the building of my house. Given that my house was built in 1900 doesn't that mean the map must predate 1900?

Old 24-06-2004, 09:52   #39
Resident Waffler

Aaargh! Now you've edited what you put. lol

Old 24-06-2004, 09:54   #40
God Member

Yep....unfortunatly, my usual logic failed and I did'nt want to look a complete idiot.
Old 24-06-2004, 10:05   #41
Senior Member+

EDIT: my mistake..
AccyStanFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..