Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2004, 10:56   #1
God Member

Old Map of Accy - 1890(Wrong!)

Most of you are probably familiar with the map (per thumbnails) which is to be found on several sites, including the Lancashire County Council website. All of them restate a glaring error - that this map is of Accy & Church in 1890. It's not. The map is much later, sometime between 1923 and 1930. Can anyone see why? And can anyone give a more exact date to the map?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-03-2004, 11:07   #2
God Member

Re: Old Map of Accy - 1890(Wrong!)

Sorry..........here's a link
http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/environ...ns/acc/acc.htm
Old 08-03-2004, 15:09   #3
mez
God Member

is it wrong because of all the housing, there seems to be a lot i would have thought for the 1890s//
Old 08-03-2004, 15:28   #4
God Member

You're right...some of the terraced rows on their are'nt built to the 1900's (each block tends to have a date)...but there are some individual buildings on there which do have dates & they are fay later than 1890.
Old 08-03-2004, 15:41   #5
mez
God Member

++not often im right tea but i must say i was looking for other things too, did they have trams in the 1890s?
Old 08-03-2004, 16:40   #6
God Member

They had steam trams in the 1890's...the system was electrified in the 1900's...so you can't really tell from the map.

They did'nt have the cinema in 1890, though....but possibly "theatre" refered to Music Hall....can you spot it? If it does refer to music hall, then there are still a number of other items to spot..just depends how well you know the dates of individual buildings.

Do you remember the old swimming baths? They were Edwardian, were they not?
Old 08-03-2004, 17:43   #7

I think this could be a good one for Atarah!!!

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 15:07   #8

Thumbs up Re: Old Map of Accy - 1890(Wrong!)

Thanks! I had five minutes to catch up on the forum at 10am this morning & 'cause of this post I've spent most of the day trying to locate maps through the ages of my old stamping grounds..... If I wasn't already under a redundancy notice for June I might have got the sack!!!

Seriously interesting stuff though, even idf it is the wrong date :-)
Super-Blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 16:33   #9
God Member

it's a bit of a shame that there is a big void in the middle of the map (possibly something went wrong when it was scanned)...but there is a whole area north of the old grammar school that is missing (it's on both sections of the map).
Old 10-03-2004, 17:46   #10
God Member

It must be a pre 1908 map, thats when my house was built and it isn't shown on the map

Sorry, My fault, it is on so its post 1908
Just that the street was in 2 halfs then and I hadn't noticed

Last edited by K.S.H; 10-03-2004 at 17:52.
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 17:59   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
it's a bit of a shame that there is a big void in the middle of the map (possibly something went wrong when it was scanned)...but there is a whole area north of the old grammar school that is missing (it's on both sections of the map).
If you look closely this is 2 maps joined together, there is a distinct line running down the page around the Monk St area, possible these maps are of a different year as they do not match in a few places. ie Monk St, Stevenson St and also the rialway sidings
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 06:27   #12

It's a big map with lots of detail on it. I note that ´(as you pointed out Tealeaf) most of Charter Street between Fairfield st. and Willows Lane is missing. It looks like they have overlaid an older map for E. Accy partly over that of West Accy.
When was the Fire Station built? It doesn't appear on the map! But that was the E. Accy half!

Dill Hall might give a clue but most of it isn't covered by the map.

Well...it's out with the spy glass and burrow my way through !
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 06:53   #13
Caz
God Member

The fire station wasn't actually built until the 1930s, surprisingly.
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 07:02   #14

Accrington House is shown near the bottom of Spencer St. Feel sure Atarah has mentioned this recently. Also I know that the row of terraced houses in Hodder St, between Clarendon St & Essex St, which were built 1910/11 are not shown. Not sure what all this proves though.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 07:26   #15

Have done a bit more investigations but without my reference books I can't get any reliable dates (my head is empty at this time). I think that the E. Accy and W. Accy maps are from 2 different dates. Some of the reasons (also reliably dated) could be:

Trams up to Ossy.
Tram lines to Blackburn from Church
No Broadway
No Oak Hill Park
The Hippodrome wasn't there
Theatre on Edgar St., but no Cinemas
Nothing built above Perth St.
Part of Countess St. not finished (Opposite Persia St. etc)
No Charter St. on the E Accy Map, but it's on the W Accy Map (the block on Charter Street W, Accy map was built about 1906, I know as my Mother-in-law was born there in 1912). So the E. Accy map is at least the begining of the 20th Century!
Exchange St. ends at Fairfield St.

I note the horse water trough on Wollows Lane.....Could do with a drink myself!!

Last edited by Darby; 11-03-2004 at 07:38.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..