Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2004, 21:34   #1
Resident Waffler

On Broadway today

I don't think I'll be having a go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July12004.jpg (46.9 KB, 109 views)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-07-2004, 22:20   #2
Senior Member+

On Broadway today

Hi, its fascinates me that the Council dont even spend their money to make Broadway presentable, and yet they allow amusement rides to park there. The council dont even ask the shop keepers if its OK to "plonk" stalls/dodgems etc. directly in front of their shops, making it more awkward for the few customers they have managed to keep. Once again they had the Continental food stalls around the front of the Market Hall - their excuse being "celebrating 30 years". Whats so special about 30 years may I ask?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 22:22   #3
Resident Waffler

Re: On Broadway today

Maybe it's the looming threat of becoming part of Blackburn that makes them want to show that at least Hyndburn existed for 30 years and celebrated to prove it?

Old 02-07-2004, 07:57   #4

Many of you will have been aware of the excellent jacket spud mobile outlet that used to operate on Broadway (green trailer/van). When the new shops were built they were told that they had to move on as they didn't fit in with the council's new image of Broadway. What sort of new image is this projecting? Put some clowns on there to represent our image of the council!
Old 02-07-2004, 07:59   #5
God Member

They moved the spud van on because the spuds were'nt being sold for a quid
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 12:01   #6
Senior Member+

No doubt that these fun fair rides will be cracking a few of the paving stones, summat else that will be costing the tax payers of Hyndburn to put right.
Old 02-07-2004, 13:50   #7
Junior Member+

I don’t know what’s happening with Hyndburn.
The last time I was home was 2 years ago when the market was just a big hole in the ground, so I don’t know what it looks like now (good or bad), but with what I’ve been seeing it sounds like it’s going down the pan.
Hambledon Studios, (printing) Will’s Fabrics, & the Pickle place, up Stanhill village all have closed down. What else has gone I don’t know? If Hyndburn council doesn’t get a grip it will be in charge of a waste land.
How can you keep money coming in, when businesses & people are moving out.
I was thinking of coming back to Hyndburn to live in a few years, but what will I be coming back to.
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 14:14   #8
Resident Waffler

Well we have got a market of sorts now but it's very cramped and on wet days the rain blows in at the sides so the stalls get wet. Some put makeshift tarpaulins up. It's nowhere near as good as the market used to be.

Old 02-07-2004, 20:20   #9
Full Member+

What berk decided to bung a set of dodgems in the middle of Broadway!! It`s bad enough trying to negotiate the numbskulls in this town without further obstacles. I`m celebrating Hyndburns 30th by going to Blackburn to browse HMV`s sale!
Old 02-07-2004, 20:39   #10
Accrington Web Mascot

At least the dodgems cover up the mess that broadway's in at the moment! There's certainly no reason to worry about cracking flags - they're all cracked anyway! I went passed the "Continental Market" yesterday and didn't even realise it was there until a walked passed a sign! The last time they had one (which I didn't see) they made it out to be wonderful - I didn't see anything different from the usual stalls!?

But don't worry - it says in the Observer today that the council may decide which plan of Broadway they will go with as early as December! (How many meetings do you think they'll have before then?)
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 21:15   #11
Resident Waffler

That last continental market was ridiculously expensive too. Don't know about this one because I haven't had time to look.

Old 02-07-2004, 22:36   #12
Full Member+

Yep, ridiculously expensive... cheaper to go abroad for your goodies
Old 03-07-2004, 18:37   #13

I remember when they had one in blackburn a french market place and they sold some nice food, didnt have time to look at the one this weekend but it looked very small.
slater_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 18:39   #14
God Member

More pics of broadway as well as the Hyndburn 30 parade now on site at www.kipax.com
Old 03-07-2004, 18:40   #15

I saw the one in Blackburn which filled the whole of Church St and had some very interesting stalls.
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..