Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2004, 02:53   #16

Re: Our disappearing

I remember the circular ones but can't can someone just refresh my memory as to what street was union street, its been that long! yes I remember the ones one Queens road too, behind the sweet shop, think there was some funny business going on there thats why they pulled them down! wondered though if anyone could be so kind as to post the poem, sounds like a good one!

at least theres still outdoor loos though, over here you'ved had it if you need to go and your out at the park, there only opened from June-oct. maybe thats pee season!!!! Canadians eh!!!!
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-07-2004, 07:12   #17
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Our disappearing

Mo, Union street is where the Faces Club / Sidewalk 54 and the back entrance of Woolies used to be..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 11:29   #18

Re: Our disappearing "loos"

They have always had portaloos at the Sounds festivals as far as i can remember - they are further up from where the rabbits and birds used to be but a bit back from the footpath. I believe that the Oak Hill Park toilets were closed due to 'unsavoury behavior'. I was up there a couple of months ago and went in the second loo (nr Hollins Lane) to have a nosy as the board had been smashed down - it had been wrecked (inevitably) and was full of empty cans, shoes and clothes(?) and there were a couple of syringes lying on the floor, an absolute disgrace - I would rather they were knocked down than turned into 'musuems' of drug abuse and god knows what. Any kid could have wandered in - scary.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:54   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Never seen this owd thread, but seem to recall urinals up top of Eagle St,under railway bridge, just around corner (Scaitlcliffe St?) facing H@B? was also some toilets on Alice St just off Burnley Rd, near owd Peel Park.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:03   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Never seen this owd thread, but seem to recall urinals up top of Eagle St,under railway bridge, just around corner (Scaitlcliffe St?) facing H@B? was also some toilets on Alice St just off Burnley Rd, near owd Peel Park.
My husband says if you want to know about urinals from years ago get in touch with "KILROY". He's been in all of them.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:12   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
My husband says if you want to know about urinals from years ago get in touch with "KILROY". He's been in all of them.
Tell yer hubby,he seems to have my sense of humour Irene.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:14   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Same here Cashy, there was also a urinal on Lonsdale St, up the little side street(?) at the top side od the railway arch. Constructed from large slabs of slate - know it well because we used to chalk the wickets on the slate - the outside.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:25   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Same here Cashy, there was also a urinal on Lonsdale St, up the little side street(?) at the top side od the railway arch. Constructed from large slabs of slate - know it well because we used to chalk the wickets on the slate - the outside.
Yep had forgotten that un.
Old 12-07-2013, 13:03   #24
Senior Member+

Re: Loos in Dutton Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Found this, might help you visualise where the entrance to the underground toilets was. Not the best of photographs, but you can see the Town Hall so that should help get "your bearings". Will look out for some more photos.
They were in the middle of the road with traffic passing both sides as I can remember
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 14:16   #25
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Our disappearing "loos"

Just about every bridge over the canal had a gents toilet, (urinal only), I believe they were removed because they just emptied into the cut.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 14:52   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
They were in the middle of the road with traffic passing both sides as I can remember
Don't think so mate, reckon traffic could only move on right hand side looking up?
Old 12-07-2013, 16:07   #27
Rest in Peace

Was there one under the first railway arch going to Morton St, has anyone mentioned the one at the bottom of Castle st near the Australian.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 19:27   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Don't think so mate, reckon traffic could only move on right hand side looking up?
Me old memory's going
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 04:21   #29

Cant remember if there were any in the Market Hall. Don't mean the ones in Peel St.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 16:53   #30
Senior Member+

I saw another closed down loo today - Union Rd, just about opposite the Tinker & Budget.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..