Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2004, 15:20   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: OWL HALL and ACCRINGTON HOUSE

As far as I recall The Four Pennies were Lionel Morton, Fritz Fryer, Mike Wilsher and Alan Buck. I had no idea any of them lived in Accy now.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-10-2004, 00:43   #32
Senior Member+

Arden Hall.

Just looking again at the photo of Arden Hall - this is where Benjamin Hargreaves lived. He was a well respected member of the Hargreaves family from Broad Oak and he is commemorated in the Benjamin Hargreaves Memorial School. He had the house built c1846 and it was demolished 1948. He was a dog lover by all accounts, and many of them were buried in the grounds of the house - some names were Daphne, Louis, Rino, Our Loo, Loo-loo, Bianco and Motty. Arrgh!

Last edited by Atarah; 04-10-2004 at 00:46.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 06:56   #33
God Member

Funny name for a dog, "arrgh", why did he call it that I wonder?
Old 08-10-2004, 14:52   #34
Senior Member+

I think this guy Anthony was in them before they made it big, he had the chance to stay with them but left coz he didn't want fame,also he loved Falconry,well that is the story at least!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 14:53   #35
Senior Member+

By the way anyone know why they knocked Ardenhall House down?100 years ain't much for a house to stay up,maybe it had structural faults or some'at?
Old 08-10-2004, 23:07   #36
Resident Waffler

I don't understand the falconry connection - I mean why it prevented him from being in the group (unless it meant he didn't have enough time)

It doesn't seem very long for the house to have stood does it? Especially considering nothing was ever built in its place. Did it stand empty and derelict before it was demolished? I'm thinking of Cliffe House now because if something isn't done with that soon demolition will be all it's fit for.

Old 09-10-2004, 06:40   #37
God Member

I learned last week that Cliffe House has been bought by persons of a foreign persuasion. Nobody I spoke to seems to know what they intend to do with it though.

There seems to have been a lot of demolition just after the second world war, quite a lot of the large houses in the area were demolished. Perhaps it has something to do with the increase in inheritance tax and Death Duties. Though I can see no reason for the demolition of houses such as Rhyddings Hall.
Old 13-10-2004, 14:57   #38
Senior Member+

I never knew about those two houses till i came here at Accy Web and had forgotten that Ardenhall house is still standing was only the Coach House...I think the ruins of one of those houses was up near the fishing lodges as always wondered what the stone foundations were there.So I have learnt something from coming here lol...

Well Willow I think that Falconry takes a lot of time an patience and you have to look after and fly your birds every day etc so the guy chose this over being in the 4pennies I think.

Don't know Cliffe house where is it?

Wasn't that house in Oak Hill Park for sale for a couple of pounds in the 80's,so cheap coz it was so rundown?
Old 13-10-2004, 16:25   #39
Resident Waffler

Cliffe House is in Willows Lane opposite Willow Mount Club. Currently looking very deserted and bedraggled.

Old 14-10-2004, 05:11   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
I learned last week that Cliffe House has been bought by persons of a foreign persuasion. Nobody I spoke to seems to know what they intend to do with it though.

There seems to have been a lot of demolition just after the second world war, quite a lot of the large houses in the area were demolished. Perhaps it has something to do with the increase in inheritance tax and Death Duties. Though I can see no reason for the demolition of houses such as Rhyddings Hall.
I have heard that it will become a Muslim Learning center...complete with firing range, and bomb making cellar!!

Or a Muslim School!! Rumours are probably right! :engsmil:
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2004, 06:58   #41
Resident Waffler

Well let's hope it won't be long before all the rubble and filth is cleared away. It must be a haven for rats.

Old 14-10-2004, 10:41   #42

So That's where Rix and Britcliffe live!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 16:28   #43
Senior Member+

Thumbs up Re: OWL HALL and ACCRINGTON HOUSE

Don't know Cliffe house!
Old 18-10-2004, 17:36   #44
Resident Waffler

see below photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cliffe1.JPG (94.6 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg cliffe2.JPG (81.2 KB, 130 views)

Old 19-10-2004, 10:55   #45
Senior Member+

Are there any marble or antique fire places in there?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..