Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-10-2004, 10:59   #46
Resident Waffler

Re: OWL HALL and ACCRINGTON HOUSE

I haven't a clue.

Maybe you could ask whoever has bought it - haven't seen any signs outside but earlier in this thread Darby said he'd heard it was to become a muslim learning centre.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-10-2004, 11:10   #47
Senior Member+

You could make some cash Marble Fireplaces sell for £100 to thousands,loads of old houses had them and people made money for nothing going round derelict council properties and whipping out the Fireplaces - so maybe there are some in there?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2004, 11:45   #48
Resident Waffler

I think the place has been used, abused, vandalised and set fire to since it was last occupied as a nursing home but maybe there are some original features remaining. I can't remember now when we worked out the date it was built but I think it was early 1900s

Old 19-10-2004, 12:44   #49

When I think back, didn't it use to be the vicarage for St. Peters Church?
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2004, 12:48   #50
Resident Waffler

The old vicarage is sort of next door but round the corner in Perth Street, but we did wonder why it wasn't built until some years after the church.

Old 25-10-2004, 14:12   #51
Senior Member+

Accrington House

Hard to believe this fine building was once in Accrington, eh?
So, anyone in the area of Oswald Street, Bold Street, Mansion Street etc., ... THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE BUILT ON!!!!
The house, built in 1800, was one of the largest houses in the area. It was demolished in 1889 (shame!) to make way for houses for the growing population - many factories of course springing up in the area.

Accrington House stood diagonally across the top of Oswald Street and Clarendon Street

I wonder if anyone in this area has any ghosties?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AccringtonHouse_resize.jpg (68.1 KB, 189 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 25-10-2004 at 14:18.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2004, 10:32   #52
Resident Waffler

It never ceases to amaze me how much history we've lost. Why on earth couldn't some of these fine old buildings have been preserved?

The "demolish it all" mentality seems to continue to this day.

Old 28-10-2004, 11:08   #53

It also boggles the mind to think how much money there used to be in the town. Can you imagine how rich you had to be to build houses like this? Of course, I think a lot of the owners retired to places like Southport and took their money with them. Probably that is why Southport is such a, comparetively, affluent area.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2004, 11:43   #54
Resident Waffler

Or Lytham-St-Annes. That was another place they used to retire to wasn't it?

Old 28-10-2004, 11:52   #55

I'm sure you're right Willow. Blackpool probably featured quite heavily also.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2004, 14:40   #56
Senior Member+

Yeh it is hard to believe that there were so many big houses in that area - am I right in saying that there were 3;Accrington House,Plantation House and Ardenhall House!
Old 31-10-2004, 09:48   #57
God Member

Atarah and I had an expedition to find the remains of Plantation House yesterday. The site is now heavily wooded and so it is a bit difficult to make out just how much is left. There is the remains of a drive leading to two fallen gate posts and an overgrown mound of building rubble together wiith what appears to be a rear yard with an embankment wall and the remains of some outbuildings.

There really isn't much else to be seen. As you can see from the pics, the area is really overgrown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image 1.jpg (95.5 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg image 2.jpg (91.0 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg image 3.jpg (96.3 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg image 4.jpg (98.9 KB, 128 views)
Old 02-11-2004, 18:08   #58
Senior Member+

Those pictures of the hollow bricks are familiar that is over by the lodges isn't it?The one that is now on it'self and totally over grown!
Plantation Mill I take it was some outhouse of that place?
Old 02-11-2004, 18:47   #59
God Member

>>Those pictures of the hollow bricks are familiar that is over by the lodges isn't it?<<

Errrm, no. They are on the site of Plantation House. The overgrown lodge is much further up.
Old 03-11-2004, 15:38   #60
Senior Member+

Solve a Mystery? - for years I put to rest a mystery and only since talking with you folks about these old houses has that mystery resurfaced...back in the 70's used to fish for trout over various streams and reservoirs around the area.Warmden being one res(now drained) one day on the way back with out a catch on that particular day,walked over that hill and field that leads down to those trees between Owl Hall and Plantation Mill.I don't now if you have noticed there are two small ponds in the field near a wall.They are tiny like 20 feet by 10 feet approx.One which is surrounded by a metal fence and has brick sides.

Anyway I hadn't caught anything on this day but stopped at that brick pond and just got the idea to drop a worm in.Almost straight away a fair big trout grabbed my bait and within minutues was landed.It was just under a pound.Anyway I bagged it and tried again but nothing.

I think it was the next day came back with a few other lads and we caught two really big trout,I think we caught one more and then nothing else ever from that pond.

I don't know if it's still there but it seems a mystery to me how those trout got into that pond as there was no inlet stream?Any trout in Accrington streams came from the Reservoirs were they were stocked up by fishing clubs.

Now it has occured to me reading your posts that this pond could have been a stock pond for Plantation House and the few fish we caught were left overs from the day when the house was still there and a fish supply required?Can anyone shed some light on this matter?Cheers.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..