Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-08-2007, 22:10   #76
Senior Member+

Re: OWL HALL and ACCRINGTON HOUSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
From what I've heard you where lucky to get off the land alive.
How do you mean?

No Private Sign.
Old 19-10-2007, 21:10   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Aye' Owl Hall was a mysterious place when we were
Can anyone tell me the state of the place now?Anyone got any photos of it now?
Unfortunately tonight the hall was partially destroyed by fire. I was there with my camera, Couldn't get anywhere near from the front, so we went through the fields at the back and climbed over the walls.

Owl Hall destroyed by fire on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It's really sad that the house has been destroyed, I'll return either tomorrow or sunday to get some shots of the damage in the day.

Whereabouts is that "cliffe house" looks and is it still empty? looks the perfect location for some photography!
magaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 09:06   #78

Cliffe house is half way up willows lane, just before the road bears to the left, on your left hand side.

Damm shame about owl hall, did you see suite pete of accy market in the observer? he's gone places in the last few years...good luck to him!
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 14:03   #79
Resident Waffler

No longer empty.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:55   #80

Hi, I have recently done a survey on Owl Hall for a developer. I'm afraid to say that the Hall was seriously damaged by fire not long after. I havephoto's of the hall as it was just before the fire and a couple just after if they are of interest to you.
gavinj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 15:26   #81
Senior Member+

Yes i certainly am
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 14:31   #82
Senior Member+

Was it an insurance job? So they could knock the house down and build a block of flats?

As I no longer live in Accrington I was shocked about 5 years ago to see a bulldozed track through all the trees at Owl Hall, trees ripped apart everywhere and a great big trench through the bank! It looked a real mess! Accrington Council should be ashamed that they let this happen! From someone who hadn't been to the sight for several years it had become and eyesore!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 16:18   #83

I know this post is very old but my family lived in Cliffe House and moved to Arden Hall this was the Bury family Arthur Bury is my great great great grandad.
Many thanks
vpinkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 14:40   #84
Fra

Does anyone know about the woodland adjacent to Arden Hall? In particular I am interested in finding out about the period in which it was first planted or allowed to seed. I have a photocopy of a map from 1848 that shows that only fields were present at that time and does not even show Arden hall.. A map from 1893 shows the woodland and the hall.
Fra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 15:37   #85
Senior Member+

I used to take part in Falconry with the man who lived at Ardenhall (Anthony) and if it's the area I think you mean it was planted in the late 70's as it used to be grassland then saplings were planted - if you mean somewhere else I don't know.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 15:56   #86
Fra

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I used to take part in Falconry with the man who lived at Ardenhall (Anthony) and if it's the area I think you mean it was planted in the late 70's as it used to be grassland then saplings were planted - if you mean somewhere else I don't know.
Its the area where you walk through the gate off plantation st. Some of the trees at the far side (just behind the hall) could not have been planted in the 70's because they are over 3m in girth.
Fra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 00:09   #87

It used to be the Doctors office when I was a kid. The Doctor was Chesney. A real battle ax of a woman.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 00:23   #88

Cliffe House that is.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 08:07   #89

Hi,
I found you info. interesting regarding the Bury family. My g aunt Bertha Jackson married Arthur Bury in 1912 at Burnley. Bertha lived at Accrington, her father was John Edward Jackson. Arthur and Bertha had a daughter I believe called Noreen?, she went to finishing school in Switzerland. I would be grateful for any information,
Regards Jan
jan58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 14:48   #90

Can I ask a naive question is or was Accrington House at the top of sandy lane
thanks
Tony
Tony Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..