Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-04-2011, 08:29   #106
Senior Member+

Re: OWL HALL and ACCRINGTON HOUSE

Owl Hall and Plantation Mill

PLANTATION MILL AND OWL HALL
Owl Hall was formerly the coachman’s house and later the residence of the Grimshaw family
Plantation Mill Printworks was originally a fulling mill established c1795 and worked by Henry Aspinall. In 1804 it comprised a three storey wool carding mill powered by a 36 ft high interior overshot water-wheel, a wool fulling mill with a 21ft overshot wheel and dry house. Calico printing commenced 1810 by Oldham and Holding. In 1814 it was occupied by Gibson, Swain & Co. After a bankruptcy in 1826 the firm became Greaves, Denham and Grimshaw. James Grimshaw took over the business completely following the deaths of the principal partners. They had 4 machines, 72 tables and about 150 employees in 1846. The Hargreaves family owned the works. It was owned by James Grimshaw & Son through out the 19th and early 20th centuries. After the death of W.D. Grimshaw in 1923 a limited company was formed – with F. W. Greenwood as Managing Director. The works closed in 1934.
(When our local historian Mr Mike Rothwell wrote the above notes in 1978, he stated that stone setts still led from Plantation Street to the site (still there in all their glory!) and that there were still some foundations left, an intact stable block, and the reservoirs in fields to the north-east. Gate piers and foundations of Plantation House could be seen (and still are I believe) on the south side of the access road. The old cottages/workers dwellings were known as Plantation Mill Square (long since demolished) and were situated at the top of Plantation Street, across from Clarendon Street-. The site is now occupied by older persons bungalows, also in a type of “square” layout).

JAMES GRIMSHAW J.P. – of Plantation Mills and Owl Hall (Died lst September, 1873 aged 72 Years)
Commercially and in public service, James Grimshaw, of Owl Hall the calico printer of Plantation Mill, contributed materially in the moulding of Accrington. Sound in judgment, ever wishful to help in, every good cause, he filled many offices with profit to the community. He was trusted by all sections, revered by hosts of townsmen. He was a man of slender build and-medium height, with an iron-grey beard and resolute face, yet a kinder and more sympathetic employer and citizen it would be difficult to find. A native of Oswaldtwistle, he came of a long-lived stock. His father, Joseph Grimshaw, died in 1846 at the age of 81 and his mother attained her 84th year.
As a boy James Grimshaw worked at Foxhill Bank Printworks, but came to Accrington with his father when quite young. He was employed at Plantation Mill Printworks as a block printer for some years. His steady character and aptitude for business attracted the attention of his employer, Mr. Denham, and he was promoted to the position of foreman. Subsequently Mr. Denham took him into partnership, and on that gentleman's death, about 1840, Mr. Grimshaw took the management of the business along with his sons, Joseph and John, and the firm became known as James Grimshaw and Sons. In later years Joseph and John commenced business on their own account, and some years before Mr. Grimshaw's death the works were carried on by Mr. William Denham Grimshaw, another son…..

JOHN SMALLEY GRIMSHAW J.P., Huncoat (Died 27th September, 1896 aged 68 years)
Mr. James Grimshaw of Woodside House, Huncoat, was the son of James Grimshaw and, like his father, filled many public offices. He had three sons; Joseph, the eldest, who became a colliery proprietor at Stoneclough, near Bolton; John Smalley, who lived at Huncoat for many years and was engaged in several businesses, and William Denham, who carried on the Plantation Works. For a time he was at Broad Oak Mill, then became partner with Mr. John Riley at Hapton Chemical Works. He and others built Highbrake Mill, Huncoat. Mr. Grimshaw became associated with a number of industrial concerns in Burnley. He was first chairman of Burnley Paper Works and of Sandygate Mill, and served on other directorates. Huncoat had great attractions for him; he filled all the public offices in turn; was first chairman of the Parish Council and was also a Poor-Law Guardian. He became a county magistrate in 1878 and was appointed chairman of the local Bench on the death of Mr. George Walmsley. He was a Liberal in politics (though not in harmony with the party on Home Rule) and was identified with the New Church. A reserved man, he was not fond of public platforms, but he was good to the poor.

WILLIAM DENHAM GRIMSHAW, calico printer (Died 12th May, 1923 aged 92 years)
He was the youngest of the 3 sons of James and was born in Accrington. He spent several years as a young man in the South of France, acquiring the best available knowledge of the calico printing industry, and there he made the acquaintance of many with similar interests who afterwards became heads of printworks in various parts of Europe. A clever chemist, he spent a great deal of his time in the laboratory, and research work in colours was with him not only a profession, but a hobby. His studies in this direction produced some very important results, employed to useful purpose in the carrying on of his firm's business.
Gifted with a splendid memory, Mr. Grimshaw had many interesting recollections of old Accrington. In the early part of his business career, when he had to go to Manchester, he travelled by pony to Bury, and there took the stage coach to his destination, returning to Accrington by the same method. He was familiar with the stirring events in the history of the cotton trade, and his experiences of the plug-drawing riots and other disturbances were most interesting.
In his early days he lived at Owl Hall, but resided at Plantation House for over half a century, and also had a house at Windermere. Like the other members of the Grimshaw family, he was closely identified with the New Church, of which he was a Liberal patron.

On the 1881 census he is listed as married to Elizabeth and the Master of a calico printers, employing 100 labourers. His address is given as Plantation House.

(havent worked out who the 3rd son was, havent found any details as yet).

Last edited by Atarah; 26-04-2011 at 08:35.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-04-2011, 11:32   #107

Thanks Atarah.......Obviously my Henry Barnes was not the owner of Owl Hall during his time there, but was at that time, a very wealthy partner in a Yarn dying company. He left Accrington to retire to East Beach Lytham, thereafter dying at his daughter's home in Kendal in 1891 whilst visiting.

Cheers,
Barnsie
barnsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 12:20   #108
Senior Member+

Well done to my Dad (Lee) & Mike!!!

History of town?s most famous road | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk-
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 11:33   #109
Senior Member+

Smashing article in the Accrington Observer! Well done lads!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 14:35   #110
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by heth View Post
Hey ... just been invited to this, Heth ... your Dad leading it then ..

Time :Monday, May 2 · 7:00am - 8:30am

LocationMeeting: Arden Hall, end of Plantation St, Accrington

Created ByThe PROSPECTS Foundation

More Info: Take an early morning walk to catch the bird song on International Dawn Chorus Day. Lee Aaron, local bird enthusiast will lead this walk around Arden Hall and The Coppice.

Unfortunately, I am not a morning person, sounds good though.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 17:05   #111
Senior Member+

Yeah he does this quite often, havent spoke to him yet so dont know how it went. I know he were a bit concerned as the birds hide when its windy like this!!
Old 02-05-2011, 19:02   #112
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yeah he does this quite often, havent spoke to him yet so dont know how it went. I know he were a bit concerned as the birds hide when its windy like this!!
I was talking to your dad last night at the front of my house , he was on his way up the pen. I think we may have met, i have done some plastering at your dads house in the front room and kitchen names dave. Hope his walk went well and all the birds didnt bunk off.
Old 04-05-2011, 18:17   #113
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
I was talking to your dad last night at the front of my house , he was on his way up the pen. I think we may have met, i have done some plastering at your dads house in the front room and kitchen names dave. Hope his walk went well and all the birds didnt bunk off.

Aye I remember you now!!! Hello!

Yeah he said 12 turned up and the birds did behave to an extent!!

He is really happy with the way the Arden Hall projuect has gone, hope to see some of you at the presentation if I aint working.
Old 04-05-2011, 20:08   #114
Senior Member+

Very good, he is a top bloke your dad, hope everything goes well for him.
Old 04-05-2011, 20:36   #115
Senior Member+

Thank You Dave
Old 07-05-2011, 18:49   #116

Quote:
Well done to my Dad (Lee) & Mike!!!
Second those sentiments. Can't wait to see the video, any news on how to get hold of it yet?
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 18:57   #117
Senior Member+

Me Dad hasnt said anything yet, will try and find out and let you know asap.
Old 12-05-2011, 13:32   #118

Wow I didn't realise it was so long since I checked out this thread. I reckon we can cancel the video after Atarah's concise history of the properties! Excellent!

Yes a date and time and place has been set in case any of you missed the details:
It is at 7.30 pm for 8.00 pm start at the lecture room in Accrington Library on Saturday 28th May 2011. Entrance is free and copies of the DVD will be made available, subject to numbers, or orders taken for them. Nominal charge of £2.00 to cover production cost.

Thanks for your support Heth. Your Dad has been an absolute star but then you probably already knew that! He doesn't find it easy in front of a camera but he has stuck with it and I hope everyone will appreciate that a copuple of amateurs care enough about the history of this area to fumble our way through producing a video that generations to come will be able to enjoy. There is so much of Accrington's history that is lost and can never be retrieved.

I'm also well chuffed that we have our MP Graham Jones support for this project and that he will be introducing the evening. No, after speaking to him at length I don't believe for a moment he is dong this for the publicity. He was involved with the friends of Arden hall years ago.
Mikejoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 17:20   #119
Senior Member+

I am sorry that i wont be able to make it that night ,as i am jetting off for sunny parts on that day, hope it goes well for all concerned
Old 12-05-2011, 17:30   #120
Senior Member+

No probs Mike and yes I do know he is a bit camera shy! He got there though and you both should be proud!

Dont think that the attendence will be high if Stanley get to the final though?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..