Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-02-2004, 00:21   #1

Smile OWL HALL and ACCRINGTON HOUSE

Hello there,

I am researching my family history in the Accrington area and have found my ancestor HENRY BARNES living in OWL HALL in 1879, thereafter in the 1881 census it states the address as 30 ST. JAMES STREET. Are these addresses one and the same? Would anyone have a photograph of OWL HALL?

Similarly there is a family connection between JOSEPH BRIDGE and my JOSEPH BARNES....I am trying to determine if my BARNES family lived in ACCRINGTON HOUSE at one time. I believe my ELLEN ANN BARNES married JOSEPH BRIDGE in 1871.

If anyone can help with some information on these names and/or estates I would be extremely grateful. I live in Australia and am trying to piece together my BARNES families of Accrington.

With thanks,
barnsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-02-2004, 09:15   #2
Junior Member+

Wink Re-Owl Hall and Accrington House.

I was not brought up in Accrington, but I now live in one of the outlying areas.

As such, I will conceed to any Accy Poster who knows better, but I believe that

Owl Hall was / still is, near the top of Plantation Street whilst St. James Street

is in the center of town. Not the same address.

I have no photographs, but I have a signed, limited edition print of Owl Hall by

an artist called G. Ashworth.

I don't know anything about Ashworth, but it would seem that he was

interested in painting local buildings as I have another by him / her of The Old

Coach House, also in Accrington.

I have no means of scanning these prints, but if you are seriously interested,

please contact me directly and I will see if I can arrange something.

A.T.B. Cruisermik.
cruisermik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2004, 09:29   #3
Senior Member+

Accrington House

Hi Barnsie, glad you found the site then! There most certainly was a Barnes lived in Accrington House and I enclose a photo. I am led to believe that the gentleman on the photo is actually a Barnes! Truthfully! I will find some details and send on later today if poss.
Think the Joseph Bridge you mention COULD (not sure yet) be the famous Bridge's ironmongers we used to have here in Accrington

Atarah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg achouse.jpg (61.1 KB, 452 views)
File Type: jpg bridgesbuilding.JPG (53.8 KB, 370 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2004, 11:03   #4
Senior Member+

I would assume that the Bridge pub is then named after the Bridge family, is that right atara?
Old 29-02-2004, 11:09   #5

OWL HALL etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisermik
I was not brought up in Accrington, but I now live in one of the outlying areas.

As such, I will conceed to any Accy Poster who knows better, but I believe that

Owl Hall was / still is, near the top of Plantation Street whilst St. James Street

is in the center of town. Not the same address.

I have no photographs, but I have a signed, limited edition print of Owl Hall by

an artist called G. Ashworth.

I don't know anything about Ashworth, but it would seem that he was

interested in painting local buildings as I have another by him / her of The Old

Coach House, also in Accrington.

I have no means of scanning these prints, but if you are seriously interested,

please contact me directly and I will see if I can arrange something.

A.T.B. Cruisermik.
Thanks very much for your reply A.T.B.
I am genuinely very interested in Owl Hall as my HENRY BARNES lived there in 1879. This address is given on his brother's Will. Family also I know lived in the Plantation Hill area, some census docs. give more complete addresses than others. But by 1881 census Henry's address is St. James Street. He was a wealthy calico print works owner. His businesses included one dyeworks called Turkey Red Dyeworks in Baxenden and another, Green Vale in Westhoughton.
The surname of the artist Ashworth is also interesting as although it was a popular surname in the Accrington area I believe, it belonged to HENRY BARNES's maternal Grandmother, SUSAN ASHWORTH, wife of Robert Birtwistle of Accrington. I wonder if there could be a connection there too.

Anyway, my intentions are serious as I would dearly love to find a copy of Owl Hall to help add padding to my researching.

With thanks,
Old 29-02-2004, 11:19   #6

Thanks very much Atarah.

Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Barnsie.
Old 29-02-2004, 12:07   #7
Senior Member+

Accrington House

Hi, there was a Jonathan Barnes lived in Accrington House. A branch of the family also lived in the Daisy Hill area of town, i.e. near Oak Hill Park area, Manchester Road. An old book on Accrington mentions "an old tradesmans diary which mentioned Jonathan Barnes mowing grass in the meadows behind Abbey Street". It was from him that Barnes Street takes its name!

I think, Janet, that the Bridge Pub could be called such cos of the culverting of the river underneath it. A few years back (about 7/8 at a guess) they were repairing the road, and the arch of the bridge came into view.

Atarah
Old 29-02-2004, 22:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah
Hi, there was a Jonathan Barnes lived in Accrington House. A branch of the family also lived in the Daisy Hill area of town, i.e. near Oak Hill Park area, Manchester Road. An old book on Accrington mentions "an old tradesmans diary which mentioned Jonathan Barnes mowing grass in the meadows behind Abbey Street". It was from him that Barnes Street takes its name!

I think, Janet, that the Bridge Pub could be called such cos of the culverting of the river underneath it. A few years back (about 7/8 at a guess) they were repairing the road, and the arch of the bridge came into view.

Atarah
Hi back, Jonathan Barnes, Printer of Daisy Hill, married to Isabella,was the grandfather of Sanderson Barnes who is buried with my lot at St. James Altham, but I can't find out why? He may have been a brother to my Henry Joseph Barnes, blacksmith, as they appear to have been about the same period, but........who knows.....again which Jonathan? Does it indicate how old he was Atarah? I have 4 all 19th century.....
Old 13-03-2004, 18:10   #9
Junior Member+

Re: OWL HALL and ACCRINGTON HOUSE

Hy Barnsie.
Please contact me at :-
[email protected]
I have the print of Owl Hall scanned and want to mail it to you direct so I need your e-mail address.
Same to you Atarah, if you want to check if this print is the same as the one you have.
Cheers
Cruisermik.
cruisermik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2004, 09:50   #10
Caz
God Member

"Lang Bridge (died Manchester on August 20, 1884, aged 67) an Accrington cotton manufacturer, lived in a portion of Accrington House, the other part being occupied by his Business partner, Barnes"
http://www.lancshalls.co.uk/hyndburnhalls.htm

Could this not be who the Bridge Inn is named after?
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2004, 14:52   #11

I seem to remember Atarah once mentioning to me that there were two local men with the name Lang Bridge. One of them was the brother of Joseph who eventually had the Ironmongers at "Bridge`s Corner" while Lang went on to found the Engineering Works, originally in Paradise St and then in Exchange St -- hence the name Paradise Works. This Lang died 1889 aged 52. With a name like that the two Langs must surely have been related. There is a mention in Atarah`s "Accrington Uncovered" Site in the Men of Mark Section.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004, 17:22   #12
Resident Waffler

I have a photo of Owl Hall somewhere but it looks like you've got at least one by now. I used to love this house when I was a child and always wanted to live there.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2004, 17:24   #13
Senior Member+

Hi Barnsie, have just, accidentally (as you do!) come across a Feb 1975 newspaper cutting. Its an article about the late MISS MARY WADDINGTON BARNES, of Avenue Parade, Accrington. Their was an auction at this property c1972 which attracted antique dealers nationwide! Miss Barnes was the daughter of Mr James Alfred Barnes, who lived in Accrington House in the 1870's. This house stood near Mansion Street (hence the reason for its naming) in the area at the top of Avenue Parade. Mr Barnes was Manager of Union Mill which stood on the site now occupied by Marks and Spencers. The mill ws owned by his brother-in-law, Mr Robert Cunliffe, founder of the Robert Cunliffe Orchestra. Miss Barnes died aged 86, but her house on Avenue Parade had not been lived in for approx. 3 years. Judging from the beautiful silverware, tableware andn paintings which were, presumably passed down from her family, life at Accrington House must have been quite comfy.
Maybe she was a direct descendant of you?
Old 18-08-2004, 22:13   #14
I am Banned

No
The Bridge in was named after a real bridge.
At the bottom of Black Abbey St, Oak St & Warner St there are two rivers converging.
Warmden Brook & Woodnook Water, after they join it becomes the river Hyndburn.
Before 1841. these three rivers were crossed by foot bridges. By 1861 they had been culverted, Cross St was the last bit finished.

I have actually walked from Paradise St end, all the way under the town center & came out at Bull Bridge.

Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet
I would assume that the Bridge pub is then named after the Bridge family, is that right atara?
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2004, 06:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw
No
The Bridge in was named after a real bridge.
At the bottom of Black Abbey St, Oak St & Warner St there are two rivers converging.
Warmden Brook & Woodnook Water, after they join it becomes the river Hyndburn.
Before 1841. these three rivers were crossed by foot bridges. By 1861 they had been culverted, Cross St was the last bit finished.

I have actually walked from Paradise St end, all the way under the town center & came out at Bull Bridge.

Walter
That walk must have been some journey Walter!! Very interesting as it must have been quite dark under there. Fascinating!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..