Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-07-2004, 00:09   #1

Smile Pictures of Warner Street/Bank Street/Oak Street?

Hi everyone,

Just wondered if anyone has any pictures or knows where i can find pictures of the above streets?

I have looked on Accrington uncovered but found only a modern pic of Bank Street. Warner Street area seems to be a bit of a blank when it comes to people with cameras!

My family have connections in Warner Street going back years so any help would be of interest!

Perran is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-07-2004, 23:54   #2
Senior Member+

Pictures of Warner Street/Bank Street/Oak Street

Hi, I have managed to find this one for you - this is one that Owd Bert took in the 1960's and shows Oak Street Congregational Church
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BankStreetc1960sGJ.jpg (47.1 KB, 351 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 23:19   #3

Re: Pictures of Warner Street/Bank Street/Oak Street?

Fantastic!

Definately not seen this one, so a BIG THANK YOU!!

Old 29-07-2004, 20:07   #4
God Member

What a fabulous tower!

Two questions. 1.Why on earth was it demolished? 2.If it were still standing today would it suffer the same fate?
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2004, 08:09   #5
Resident Waffler

This appeared whilst I was away and I've only just spotted it. I agree what a fantastic tower that was.

The church was probably demolished due to lack of congregation (no pun intended) or maybe when the Congregational Church amalgamated with something else to form The United Reformed Church? I know the one in Whalley Road used to be called Congregational and is now URC I think.

Would it have suffered the same fate today? (demolition) More than likely. It's a great shame. We have lost some of the finest architecture.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 22:47   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

only just spotted this, wasn't a member when was posted, had forgotten all about that owd church, fabulous photo.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:13   #7
Senior Member+

The Local Studies library ,upstairs in Accrington library has a big collection of photos filed under street names. Getting copies on photo paper is quick, easy and cheap (£1)
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:37   #8

Warner Street:: OS grid SD7628 :: Geograph British Isles - photograph every grid square!
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:25   #9

Smile Re: Pictures of Warner Street/Bank Street/Oak Street?

Hi all,

It's been a while since i posted this and stumbled across it whilst searching for info on Warner Street. Crickey doesn't time fly!

The street has certainly changed over the years, even in the last few some long established faces have gone. It's a shame really as there are very few streets like it anywhere and could be a real asset to the town if it was sympathetically restored.

The original question still stands and if anyone has uncovered something new it would great to see.

Thanks again!

Old 10-03-2012, 13:08   #10
Resting in Peace

Hi Perran, good to hear from you again.

I would presume that you have already looked at the Lancashire Lantern site .... a good place to start (well, not really a start for you is it ... )

Lancashire Lantern | Word Search | Gallery
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 16:52   #11
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perran View Post
Hi all,

It's been a while since i posted this and stumbled across it whilst searching for info on Warner Street. Crickey doesn't time fly!

The street has certainly changed over the years, even in the last few some long established faces have gone. It's a shame really as there are very few streets like it anywhere and could be a real asset to the town if it was sympathetically restored.

The original question still stands and if anyone has uncovered something new it would great to see.

Thanks again!

Have you seen this?

Warner Street Web - history of warner street in accrington lancashire
Old 10-03-2012, 17:34   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post

Ah, yes, Sue... was a thread on here, opened by Atarah, which mentioned this site ...

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ton-58526.html
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 14:50   #13

Thanks for the replies, for some reason all the Warner Street photos seem to concentrate on the lower part of the street not the upper. Maybe the hill puts people off! I didn't notice the other thread about Warner Street so thanks for pointing me in the right direction. My mum grew up on the street and we still have a shop here so hence the interest. What she doesn't know about it isn't worth knowing so I think she'll be interested in reading the other post!

Old 24-03-2012, 15:21   #14

Some photos here Flickr: Search mrrobertwade (wadey)'s photostream
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 12:23   #15

Thanks everyone!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..