Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2004, 16:35   #76
God Member

Re: Sacred Heart Church

I remember Fr. Stack. Terrifying man. The only person I have ever met who could silence a playground full of screaming kids just by walking into it. As an Altar Boy I had the unenviable task of serving at his Masses. It's no wonder I am a nervous wreck now. Still, that's Jesuits for you. The drunken Priest that Lettie referred to could have been either Fr. Morrissey or Fr. Houlahan both were quite fond of the bottle. My mother had a crush on Fr. Houlahan, but then, so did quite a few other women. You could never accuse my mother of being original.

It was sad to see the old building go and it is a pity that another use could not be found for it. still I suppose that it is better to pull it down rather than have it turned into a mosque.

Oddly enough, I never remember it being a cold church, even in the depths of winter.
Does anyone remember those marathon church processions that were held in the summer. There are photographs of me published in The Observer dressed in my cassock in the front line of the procession. My grandmother, a devout catholic, was so proud of me.

does anyone know what happened to all the parephenalia, plate, banners etc. Or were they all destroyed.

I managed to snaffle a couple of small pieces of stained glass as a keepsake.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-05-2004, 13:25   #77
God Member

Hi Bob....there are a few postings earlier on in this thread on the whereabouts of the alter, etc. Yes, it was a cold church...I remember back in the mid-60's they spent alot of money on installing electric heating...not that it made much difference.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 13:31   #78
Senior Member+

Sacred Heart Church/Paddock House

Hi, this is the only photo I can find that is relatively up to date. Anyone remember it? Think its taken up at Paddock House.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sacredheart_resize.JPG (80.1 KB, 83 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 13:41   #79
God Member

Well, Atarah....I can't recognise myself on there...
Old 03-05-2004, 13:56   #80
Senior Member+

Hi Tealeaf, could you perhaps date the photo for us then?
Old 03-05-2004, 14:03   #81
God Member

Judging by the hair, shoe and dress styles it's mid-50's to mid-60's......but I don't recognise the priests on there..possibly from the church in Ossy?
Old 03-05-2004, 14:08   #82
God Member

Oh, arrrrgh! those bluddy eaton collars. I hated them they were as stiff as plastic and you had to fasten them with studs and the holes for the studs were minute. I quite liked the gloves though, you could chew the finger ends all through mass.
Old 03-05-2004, 15:41   #83
God Member

Really bad photo of me in my cassock, I'm in the middle by the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cassock lge ed.jpg (93.0 KB, 70 views)
Old 03-05-2004, 18:05   #84
Senior Member+

Chuckle! Chuckle! Your eyes are screwed up, your hair looks plastered down with Bril cream, you dont look a happy bunny, but, thanks for sharing! Who are the other two on the photo?
Old 03-05-2004, 21:00   #85
God Member

"Still, that's Jesuits for you."

Acrylic-bob, I don't think Dean Stack (I bet he doesn't know you've demoted him) was a Jesuit. From what I've read the Jesuits left in 1959.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 21:24   #86
God Member

Hi yerself,
I stand ready to be corrected, memory often plays tricks. But I distinctly remember that on the doors of the confessionals there were name plates for each confessor each of which bore the suffix 'S.J.' That would be around the time that I was six or seven and so would be in 1963-4 approx. I suppose I could check with the diocesan office.

Hi Atarah,

No I don't think I was too happy, I was hot and felt like a real pratt and had a long walk ahead of me. My two companions are the children of an Italian family my parents were friendly with, Antonio and Rosa Tedesco. Their father Guiseppe was a member of Willow Mount WMC.
Old 03-05-2004, 21:36   #87
God Member

At the risk of boring everyone witless I have managed to dig out an earlier photo. Same procession but in 1962. Taken at the bottom of Willows Lane just outside what is now Platts Social Club. The tall boy behind me is Michael Cawley. The portly woman sheilding her face is Miss Bull the headmistress of St. Oswald's Primary School at the time. Later she had to leave after she shoved Micheal's head through a window.
Old 03-05-2004, 21:42   #88
God Member

Ooops pic to big, try this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Procession2.jpg (44.2 KB, 75 views)
Old 03-05-2004, 21:45   #89
Senior Member+

Ooh! You look luvverly!!
Old 07-05-2004, 15:00   #90
God Member

Smile Re: Sacred Heart Church

Hi Yerself,
The story so far:-
I have been in touch with the Diocesan Office in Salford who supplied the following:

"I couldn't find a reference to him but wasn't sure whether 'Dean' was a title or surname. (I spotted a Canon Joseph Stack who died 22 Feb 1982). Not being in the list would imply he was non-diocesan (i.e. an order priest). "

The list he refers to is the Diocesan Almanack. The next port of call is The Diocesan Archivist. Stay tuned..

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..