Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2004, 19:27   #91

Re: Sacred Heart Church

Hi, a Dean is a title. So Fr. Stack was known as Dean Stack. Don't know if he was made Cannon later on, but whilst at Sacred Heart he was the Dean of the parish. Also i think the drunken priest was Fr. Morrisey. One of the nicest priests that i remember at Sacred Heart was Fr. Dwyer.

Also i don't know if anyone remembers a 50/60s actor called Robert Stack, i think he was in the untouchables. Well he was Dean Stack's cousin. (As told by my parents.)
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-08-2004, 06:28   #92

I used to work at the moorcock Inn, on Waddington fell and Fr Stack and about 5 other priests came in for lunch once a week and had the best wine & food, it was one of the top establishments at that time, they did'nt settle for second best, we used to say the sky pilots are here, money was no object, but they never left a tip. Maybe thats one of the reasons I lapsed.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:34   #93
God Member

Oddly enough, I was musing on such matters only yesterday, ie, the priests I remembered from my childhood. And I was moved to speculate on why so many Priests came from Ireland. I really have difficulty believing that it was because the Irish are uniquely devout. I came to the conclusion that it was because the Church, for many, represented a way out of poverty. A bit like joining the army, but without the unpleasant necessity of having to kill people occaisionally. I know from my own experience that several of the priests at Sacred Heart were addicted to alcohol and the temptations of the flesh. Your story about Fr. Stack and his associates serves to confirm this view.

Not that I am condemning them in any way, the priesthood is often a hard, thankless choice of career and I have always rather admired Fr.Stack, in a sideways sort of way. The Parish certainly thrived under his hand. I suppose it's the hypocracy that irks me.
Old 17-09-2004, 20:40   #94
Junior Member+

I have done some research into the Sacred Heart and this might answer some of the questions and be of interest to people,
A Dean is a priest in charge of a deanary, it is higher than a father but lower than a Canon.
The Jesuits left the Sacred Heart in 1958, the last members there were Fr Walter Smith, Fr J Taylor and Fr Dinley.
When they moved out, the Salford Diocese sent Dean Joseph Stack, Fr James Brenan and Fr Edward Morrisey to take over in 1959
A in 1975 Fr Denis Dwyer was curate, and in 1976, Fr Liam Comer
Dean Stack remained in charge of the parish until 1977, when he moves to St Peter Rossendale for a year before taking sabatical leave and going to Ireland, He comes back in 1980 and is apointed to the Sacred Heart, Blackburn, He becomes a Canon in 1981 but dies in 1982, i have attached a photo of him.
Fr Stacks sucessor at Accrington was Fr Patrick Desmond with Fr Joshua Sheeky as curate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stack.JPG (18.5 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by greg78uk; 17-09-2004 at 20:42.
greg78uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2004, 21:07   #95
God Member

Hi greg' your chronology, leaves a couple of questions still standing: namely, why is it that after the Jesuit's handed over the running of the Parish to the Diocese in 1958 did some of the priests still append the initials 'S.J.' to their names on the signs painted on the confessionals at Sacred Heart? And why is there no mention in your chronology of Fr.'s Houlahan (sp?) and Phelan?
Old 18-09-2004, 15:20   #96
Junior Member+

The Jesuits are a strange order, back in the ninteenth and early twentieth centurys, they considered themselves to be missionary labourers, they would often build a parish from scratch, and then hand it over to the diocese and move else where and start over again, so this could be what happened at the Sacred Heart. they usually kept one main base in a diocese, in our case at the Holy Name in Manchester. there are many parishes in the diocese which they built then left, it was quite a common thing for them to do.

As for the initials on the door, that is slightly more puzzling, Dean Stack and his curates were definatly not Jesuits. Could they have simply been left over from the previous incumbants and never painted out, or were they actually integrated into the names of the priests
MoreJoe likes this.
Old 18-09-2004, 17:19   #97
God Member

Correct me if I'm wrong greg78uk. But isn't the main base for the Jesuits in our diocese at Stonyhurst? They have been there for some 200 years and as you can see from the excerpt below, from the history of St. Mary's Clayton-le-Moors, they served local catholics from that location.

Mass was forbidden in England by statute from June 24th 1559, and it was 232 years later to the day, on June 24th 1791, that the Catholic Relief Act permitted public Catholic chapels to be established within the law. Following the closure of Dunkenhalgh Chapel in 1816, the new Catholic chapel in Clayton was opened under the Act of 1791, on July 11th 1819. It was built for £1,442.1s.5d, and the inscription over the door read boldly 'The Lord is in his Holy Temple'. The land was given by Mr. R.G. Lomax of Clayton Hall and the priest was Father Charles Brooke, S.J., who at first travelled over from Stonyhurst each Sunday.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2004, 18:07   #98
Junior Member+

Yes you're right, the main base is at Stonyhurst, the Holy Name was the base for South Lancashire, i got mixed up
Old 18-09-2004, 18:10   #99
Junior Member+

Interestingly enough the former curate Fr Edward Morrisey is still alive, he has been at St Edwards Rusholme for the past 20 years or so, and retired two months ago, and has now returned home to Ireland
Old 18-09-2004, 18:17   #100
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg78uk
As for the initials on the door, that is slightly more puzzling, Dean Stack and his curates were definatly not Jesuits. Could they have simply been left over from the previous incumbants and never painted out, or were they actually integrated into the names of the priests
Isn't it a pity that we can't go and look at the door?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2004, 20:47   #101
Junior Member+

The door is probably lying at the bottom of a landfill site somewhere, unless it was salvaged then it will be in some trendy expensive apartment for yuppies, as an 'authentic religious door'
Old 18-09-2004, 21:27   #102

I am quiet sad about the Sacred Heart church but it has been 18 years since I lived in Accy. When Iwas getting married in 1981 I hadthe choice of either marrying in SH or St Mary's in ossy,the aisle was shorter in St Mary's so it won. Does anyone remeber the baby chapel at SH or was it the crying chapel (where therbabiesand young children went.
Trickiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2004, 05:36   #103
God Member

Yes, it was formerly the site of the memorial to the dead of the First World War, which was apparently carved in Rome and subsequently dismantled and moved by Dean Stack during which time he also discarded most of it. The statuary that is now in the grounds of St Mary's, Oswaldtwistle, and is still under a blue plastic sheet seven months after it's removal, is only the top part of it.
Old 20-03-2008, 21:18   #104

Thank you all for the effort and time to assemble the pictures of this sad event. I passed through Accrington in late 2005 to find the Grammar School and the Sacred Heart both gone. I remember the SH holding Sunday mass at 7, 8, 9, 10 and High Mass at 11. From 8 onwards they were pretty much sold out and late comers sometimes had to stand on the steps outside.

I think there was a large carry over of religious thankfulness for deliverance from World War II. Time, TV and Apathy all took their toll on attendance. I was sad to find the place flattened and now I know how it happened.

May your soul be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil demolishes your church!
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 15:41   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg78uk View Post
I have done some research into the Sacred Heart and this might answer some of the questions and be of interest to people,
A Dean is a priest in charge of a deanary, it is higher than a father but lower than a Canon.
The Jesuits left the Sacred Heart in 1958, the last members there were Fr Walter Smith, Fr J Taylor and Fr Dinley.
When they moved out, the Salford Diocese sent Dean Joseph Stack, Fr James Brenan and Fr Edward Morrisey to take over in 1959
A in 1975 Fr Denis Dwyer was curate, and in 1976, Fr Liam Comer
Dean Stack remained in charge of the parish until 1977, when he moves to St Peter Rossendale for a year before taking sabatical leave and going to Ireland, He comes back in 1980 and is apointed to the Sacred Heart, Blackburn, He becomes a Canon in 1981 but dies in 1982, i have attached a photo of him.
Fr Stacks sucessor at Accrington was Fr Patrick Desmond with Fr Joshua Sheeky as curate

I believe that this Fr. Joe Stack is my relative. Could you by chance find an obituary on him? Thank you very much!
greenacreslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..