Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2004, 17:31   #1
Resting in Peace

Sacred Heart Church

pics of sacred heart church in the prosess of demoliton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg con a1.jpg (19.7 KB, 497 views)

Last edited by Mick; 26-01-2004 at 17:35.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-01-2004, 08:04   #2
Senior Member+

Sacred Heart

I didn't know they had started to demolish! What a shame! Thats another of our fine buildings going. We are going to have nothing of interest left in Accrington.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sacredht.jpg (31.5 KB, 190 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2004, 08:09   #3
Senior Member+

Sacred Heart

Here's an old, internal view of the church
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SacredHeart2_resize.JPG (38.4 KB, 178 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2004, 13:56   #4
Resting in Peace

sorry about the pic got size wrong
will try again i have loads of the inside as well
Old 28-01-2004, 00:01   #5

OMG, scuse the pun, this should not be allowed. When did this happen? I thought it was just a rumour. wasn't anything done to try and save it?
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2004, 13:25   #6

Sacred Heart Church

Demolition under way at the back of the Church.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SacredHeartJan04-500.jpg (70.6 KB, 163 views)
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2004, 12:35   #7

and it looks like the windows are still in. I used to love the stained glass and the big huge Oak doors round the back. that too bad stuff like that wasn't salvaged. I'm still stunned that nothing could have been done to stop it.
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2004, 13:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemo
and it looks like the windows are still in. I used to love the stained glass and the big huge Oak doors round the back. that too bad stuff like that wasn't salvaged. I'm still stunned that nothing could have been done to stop it.
Littlemo,

Note that the JCB doing the demolition is Connollys. They have a yard down Coach Road in Church and it's full of big stones which they flog at inflated prices. I can assure you that they will look after all the stone and flog it as soon as they can as Holy or Consecrated stone!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2004, 16:08   #9
God Member

Darby's right. The stone & slate will be salvaged and sold at an exorbitant price....so too the seating inside. The alter and other icon's will probably be locked up somewhere.

It seems that all the lessons of the 60's on the wanton destruction of Victorian buildings appear to have passed Accrington by. OK, I know the Church (CE or Rome) has a dwindling congregation and that a building such as the SH is too big; but to have it pulled down on the basis there was dry rot in the rafters is ridiculous. Surely someone could have had a little bit of imagination to invest in saving the roof and then using the building for other purposes. This is vandalism & madness in the extreme. No wonder noone goes to Church Service while these to**ers are in charge.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2004, 16:50   #10
mez
God Member

sacred heart was roman catholic, i went to 10am mass every sunday there , i had all my 3 children christened there , but the cost & upkeep was enourmous & as t said it had a dwindling congregation, i always found it a very cold church, i have goneback to my original church st, marys up ossy which if you remember could have been one of those to be pulled down , i must addmitt im glad it wont become a mosque//
Old 30-01-2004, 06:00   #11

It may not become a Mosque, but I bet it'll become a Muslim School for wayward boys or a training school for Muslim Clerics . Watch that space!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2004, 06:45   #12
Resting in Peace

The area is to have houses built on it
All the interier of the church went a 2 monthes ago
there is no stained glass in there the only glass is clear window glass
the big rose window at the front is window glass .
The priest houses down the side have now gone
but i know someone who got a 28 in tv and a full bathroom set out of it .
so all the interier of the buildings has gone
most of the church inside was sent to other churches
its just a shame about the building
Old 30-01-2004, 09:09   #13
God Member

Hey Mez,

I was a bad catholic boy & I remember going to the Sacred Heart for mass every sunday.

Does anyone remember the priest there called Stack? He was the catholic answer to Ian Paisley - a classic hell fire & brimstone sermon was guaranteed every week from him. A complete nut. I think he also claimed to be the cousin of the American Actor Robert Stack (The Untouchables). I just wonder what he would think of this sorry mess.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2004, 15:46   #14
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Only went to sacred heart church once. This was in 1996 for a funeral, and I swear that the priest was blind drunk. Everyone in there, who went regularly said that this was quite normal for him! It was cold inside, but most churches are, St James in Accy centre has always been freezing when I've been in there. Sacred Heart was a lovely building though.
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2004, 00:16   #15
Apprentice Geriatric

In the late 40's and early 50's the 9th Loyola scout troop was based there. Er! I think that it was the 9th. We had some great times learning to tie each other in knots and the highlight of a meeting was the game of British Bulldog before staggering home to get a bag of chips on the way. Even though I wasn't keen on attending mass etc. it is a shame that yet one more fine old building has gone. I'm glad I'm not a building 'cos they'd have pulled me down long ago.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..