Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2004, 16:00   #16
Senior Member+

Ashton Frost engine

Just to add a little bit more history:

The cog wheel is part of the Ashton Frost engine which used to be in Primrose Mill Church. It was built in 1884, a cross-compound horizontal steam engine capable of driving 400 Lancashire looms through gears and line shaftings.It was quite something. A chappie from the Northern Mill Engine Society spoke to the History society last year mentioned it. When the mill closed, the History society and the Civic Society fought for it to be saved, but it was left to rot away in some of the grounds of Haworth Park. The rest of it can be seen by the gate into the park at the back of the coach house, there is a pile there of the other parts. Maybe the cog wheel was the only part that was still worth preserving.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-09-2004, 16:27   #17

Re: The Cog Wheel has a name!

If they did that then they'd only stick it in an obvious central Church focal point like a Great Harwood back alley!
Old 03-09-2004, 18:03   #18
Resident Waffler

It would probably be impossible to reassemble the engine. As Atarah said the cog wheel is probably the only part they were able to salvage out of a pile of rusting metal. And judging by the state of it already it won't be long before that rusts away from under its coat of paint.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 18:13   #19
Senior Member+

Was calling in Council Offices today and spotted the sign on the Ashton Wheel. Notice its NOT dated, so dont know how long the official sign has been there. Bit naughty that, signs SHOULD be dated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ashton Wheel Aug 2010.jpg (488.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Ashton Wheel Plaque Aug 2010.jpg (286.4 KB, 23 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 18:57   #20
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINGY View Post
Gears,toothed pulleys, but to name a couple. Maybe its a time thing, but i've been an engineer for 10 years and never come accross a Cog yet.
I wonder who gave it this name??
A cog wheel was always referred to by that name, it being one of the smaller gear wheels that meshed with the bigger gear wheels.
Tha's ony bin an engineer for 10 years !, I started my apprenticeship at Lang Bridges in 1945, thats 65 years ago, smaller geared wheels were called cogs then, so its nowt new.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 21:35   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
A cog wheel was always referred to by that name, it being one of the smaller gear wheels that meshed with the bigger gear wheels.
Tha's ony bin an engineer for 10 years !, I started my apprenticeship at Lang Bridges in 1945, thats 65 years ago, smaller geared wheels were called cogs then, so its nowt new.

Retlaw
16 years, he posted that comment in 2004.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..