Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26116Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 18:57   #1591
Senior Member+

Re: Today in pictures

Thanks Davemac for starting this thread, there are some fantastic pictures of places I have never visited, walks around Accrington for example.
The ones in Iceland are really something different, a Country I have never been to and being a big old softy who likes to keep warm I doubt I ever will.

DaveinGermany, you asked about my camera. it's a D5000 Nikon DSLR, I have two lenses a 18 -55 mm and a 55-300mm, both are good Nikon lenses with Vibration reduction.
I have tried picture manipulation but they always seem to come out worse so now I just post them as they came from the SD card.

Margaret liked the chimneys so there is one more photo taken yesterday at Downham, it is one of the few places where TV antenna are not allowed so the chimneys are clear of them.

Mobertol you went to Hebden Bridge, if you had gone a little bit further down the Rochdale canal to Sowerby Bridge you would see the deepest canal lock in England.
I was born and bred in Walsden by the Rochdale canal and can just remember the boats coming through with coal, wool or cotton and the bargees letting us ride between the locks.

And finally I stopped at Spring wood today for an ice cream and managed to snap a squirrel or two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1155x.jpg (597.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1721.JPG (489.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1725.JPG (473.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1726.JPG (479.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1728.JPG (479.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1735.JPG (478.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1729.JPG (473.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1244x.jpg (499.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1241x.jpg (349.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-08-2012, 19:02   #1592
Beacon of light

Thanks Gremlin. Some beautiful pics there.
And Walsden....... it was a place I visited every weekend from being about 12 - 16.
My old auntie used to live at 2 Square Road........her back yard butted the Calder.
I used to get sent for a fish six pennyworth of chips and two dabs every Friday teatime after I had got off the bus......Auntie used to warm the plates, butter the bread and brew a good pot of strong tea.
I was there to help her shop and clean her little house...but I enjoyed myself too.
Thank you for wakening those memories.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 19:11   #1593
Senior Member+

Today in Pictures, Hyndburn Brook re-visited.

1. After the floods of a few weeks ago Hyndburn Brook has eroded large areas of its banks and deposited them else-ware, these wood posts were hidden until the water washed the bank away.
2. Possibly a Cinnamon Sedge.
3. Red Bistort, flowering away at the moment.
4. The water is that clean that they are catching Brown Trout around here, I saw one landed as I walked past.
5. Further round the Brook more wooden posts have been revealed.
6. Large deposits of gravel, washed out of the bankings, I think the area was once used as a tip or landfill, as large amounts of red brick are seen, often tumbled smooth, but some say Accrington Nori on them.
7. Two wickthings for the price of one, a shield bug and a mayfly.
8. This is the paint-ball area, from the "Dunk"
9. He might look a bit sheepish, but he is mucky again.
10. Almost home, Riley's Swing Bridge.

With that a three hour walk came to a close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1208.JPG (426.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1230.JPG (468.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1238.JPG (334.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1244.JPG (460.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1258.JPG (498.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1264.JPG (489.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1279.JPG (447.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1312.JPG (418.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1328.JPG (494.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1332.JPG (496.5 KB, 10 views)
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 19:14   #1594
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Thanks Davemac for starting this thread, there are some fantastic pictures of places I have never visited, walks around Accrington for example.
The ones in Iceland are really something different, a Country I have never been to and being a big old softy who likes to keep warm I doubt I ever will.

DaveinGermany, you asked about my camera. it's a D5000 Nikon DSLR, I have two lenses a 18 -55 mm and a 55-300mm, both are good Nikon lenses with Vibration reduction.
I have tried picture manipulation but they always seem to come out worse so now I just post them as they came from the SD card.

Margaret liked the chimneys so there is one more photo taken yesterday at Downham, it is one of the few places where TV antenna are not allowed so the chimneys are clear of them.

Mobertol you went to Hebden Bridge, if you had gone a little bit further down the Rochdale canal to Sowerby Bridge you would see the deepest canal lock in England.
I was born and bred in Walsden by the Rochdale canal and can just remember the boats coming through with coal, wool or cotton and the bargees letting us ride between the locks.

And finally I stopped at Spring wood today for an ice cream and managed to snap a squirrel or two.
Oh, wow -the squirrels -lovely! Well done...

As well as cobbles I also love stone cottages/terraces and chimneys -we all have our little peculiarities!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 19:17   #1595
God Member

Sue -I have always wanted to visit the "North" but have a hot-blooded other half who doesn't appreciate northern climes -one day I would like to see the midnight sun, the fyords, geysirs etc. Who knows, never say never...

What worries me is the food up that way - any pointers?

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 05-08-2012, 19:19   #1596
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Today in Pictures, Hyndburn Brook re-visited.

1. After the floods of a few weeks ago Hyndburn Brook has eroded large areas of its banks and deposited them else-ware, these wood posts were hidden until the water washed the bank away.
2. Possibly a Cinnamon Sedge.
3. Red Bistort, flowering away at the moment.
4. The water is that clean that they are catching Brown Trout around here, I saw one landed as I walked past.
5. Further round the Brook more wooden posts have been revealed.
6. Large deposits of gravel, washed out of the bankings, I think the area was once used as a tip or landfill, as large amounts of red brick are seen, often tumbled smooth, but some say Accrington Nori on them.
7. Two wickthings for the price of one, a shield bug and a mayfly.
8. This is the paint-ball area, from the "Dunk"
9. He might look a bit sheepish, but he is mucky again.
10. Almost home, Riley's Swing Bridge.

With that a three hour walk came to a close.
Great pics -best ever of the swing bridge -the water is so still -great reflections. Love the bugs on the rock too!

Are you losing any weight with all this walking?

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 05-08-2012, 19:28   #1597
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Sue -I have always wanted to visit the "North" but have a hot-blooded other half who doesn't appreciate northern climes -one day I would like to see the midnight sun, the fyords, geysirs etc. Who knows, never say never...

What worries me is the food up that way - any pointers?
Can't really help you with the food as we were on cruise ships and ate our meals on board. But they sometimes served up fabulous fish and shellfish which they got as they went along. And that day in Iceland when I took the pics we had a catered lunch out which was some of the best salmon I've ever had - straight out of one of those local rivers.
Old 05-08-2012, 19:34   #1598
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Great pics -best ever of the swing bridge -the water is so still -great reflections. Love the bugs on the rock too!

Are you losing any weight with all this walking?
Glad you like the pics, especialy after the exotic locations you have been showing us.

With all the walking, from the waist down I look like an Adonis , but from the waist up a doorknob, but as I am a short person I can walk in the tall grass and not be seen, thats why I spot all the wickthings and fungi. Hi Ho, Hi ho.
Old 05-08-2012, 20:01   #1599
Beacon of light

Dave...I am sure you will appreciate this site.......I'm posting it anyway.

British Bugs Gallery Pentatomoidea - Shieldbugs

I like your pics...but I don't like that shield bug....and a trip to the site that I have posted gave me the heebies.
Old 05-08-2012, 20:09   #1600
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

I like your pics...but I don't like that shield bug....and a trip to the site that I have posted gave me the heebies.
Honestly Margaret, they're harmless - but I know you will take a lot of convincing.

I like the name of this one...

Acanthosoma haemorrhoidale Hawthorn Shieldbug
Old 05-08-2012, 20:18   #1601
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
managed to snap a squirrel or two.
Couple of Greys, so in balance here's a Dutch Red from last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Easterv w-end 2011 NL 003.jpg (119.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Easterv w-end 2011 NL 010.jpg (108.5 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 05-08-2012 at 20:20.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 20:25   #1602
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Honestly Margaret, they're harmless - but I know you will take a lot of convincing.

I like the name of this one...

Acanthosoma haemorrhoidale Hawthorn Shieldbug
Yes, I know Sue...and I have got better with a little exposure to some bugs.......as long as I have the zoom on and I don't have to get too close...but they are ugly.....ugly, but fascinating too.
Old 05-08-2012, 20:27   #1603
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Couple of Greys, so in balance here's a Dutch Red from last year.
Awww...I like those.
I sat in a park on the Isle of White and watched the red squirrels playing.....but as soon as I got my camera out, they disappeared up into the topmost branches of the trees...it was almost like they were teasing me.
I never got one useable picture.
Old 05-08-2012, 20:29   #1604
Senior Member+

Quote:

Thats a useful site, its gone into my favourites. I have been able to locate the specific bug on there, Its the Red Legged Shieldbug.
I thought the Mayfly more creepy crawlie due to its long "things" on its bum, I saw something like that on Matrix.
Old 05-08-2012, 20:33   #1605
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
....but as soon as I got my camera out, they disappeared up into the topmost branches of the trees..
It took the week-end putting out nuts (in the foreground) lying nearby on the grass where they came in under the fence & all to convince the little ratbags I wasn't a threat & enable me to get a few halfway decent pics.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..