Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2014, 11:23   #6256
God Member

Re: Today in pictures

Yes, terribly sad thing that happened to the 3 girls. The way you have edited the photo is a lovely tribute to their memory, which is obviously still very much alive.
davemac likes this.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-01-2014, 16:23   #6257
God Member

A walk in wild windy weather today -threatening one way with racing storm clouds and sunny and bright the other!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9937.jpg (135.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9938.jpg (115.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9939.jpg (166.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9942.jpg (175.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9944.jpg (126.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9945.jpg (121.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9946.jpg (150.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9948.jpg (125.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9949.jpg (154.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9950.jpg (173.8 KB, 5 views)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 28-01-2014, 21:30   #6258
Senior Member+

Today in Pictures, a bit of a self indulgent mooch today.

1. My first snowdrops.
2. Bit of a mooch along the river bank.
3. The next port of call.
4. By the lynch gate.
5. The best and grandest eternal resting places were always close to the main walk to the church, so the congregation noticed them when going to worship, the poorer people were the furthest away with the smallest headstones. Know your place, even in death.
6. This is a bit of a oddity, more of an Obit you would put in the paper, not on a headstone.
7. The side that overlooks the river.
8. It is recorded that there is only one Canadian service man interred in the cemetery,Able seaman H. Broadley R.C.N.V.R. (21) 1st November 1944.
9.Then I found this. E.Arnold Burton (25) 2nd Battalion 1st Canadian Contingent 13th June 1916, killed Zillebek Nr. Ypres. It may be that he is memorialised on the headstone and interred elsewhere, but it doesn't make it clear.
10. I could spend a lot longer here, and I will in the future, but for now the light is going and its raining.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _1010644 -1.jpg (484.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _1010693 -1.jpg (480.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _1010701 -1.jpg (456.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _1010724 -1.jpg (342.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg _1010740 -1.jpg (411.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg _1010748 -1.jpg (467.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg _1010756 -1.jpg (430.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg _1010670 -2.jpg (497.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg _1010761 -2.jpg (446.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1406 -1.jpg (443.7 KB, 12 views)
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 21:37   #6259

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Today in Pictures, a walk on the wet side again, this time in Padiham.

1. The River Calder as it whooshes through Padiham.
2. The weir just before the bridge.
3. Crossing over the river before going along the Greenway.
4 Have you met our Ivy.
5. Once a busy railway line, now the Greenway.
6. We've just received a telegram, the stage out of Dodge City will be late.
7. Haven't time for a sit down just yet.
8. Bridge that took the railway over a tributary to the Calder.
9. The sun was going down, time for the car.

10. I took the time for that sit down I had promised myself, not knowing this memorial was here and noticing that the flowers had just been placed there. I didn't know at the time what it was about, and even if I had it was lost in time for me. I used Mr Goggle to find out what this quiet corner was all about, and it filled me with sadness. So whenever I am having a crap day, it is nothing compared to this tragedy. I don't know why I ended up sat on that seat today I can only speculate, but to the people involved, even with the passage of time you still remember....you have my deepest sympathies.
So very sad. What a tragic loss.
davemac likes this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 21:41   #6260

Quote:

1. My first snowdrops.
4. By the lynch gate.
5. The best and grandest eternal resting places were always close to the main walk to the church, so the congregation noticed them when going to worship, the poorer people were the furthest away with the smallest headstones. Know your place, even in death.
6. This is a bit of a oddity, more of an Obit you would put in the paper, not on a headstone.
8. It is recorded that there is only one Canadian service man interred in the cemetery,Able seaman H. Broadley R.C.N.V.R. (21) 1st November 1944.
9.Then I found this. E.Arnold Burton (25) 2nd Battalion 1st Canadian Contingent 13th June 1916, killed Zillebek Nr. Ypres. It may be that he is memorialised on the headstone and interred elsewhere, but it doesn't make it clear.
10. I could spend a lot longer here, and I will in the future, but for now the light is going and its raining.
Lovely moody shots. I envy you the snowdrops!
davemac likes this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 22:09   #6261
I am Banned

Quote:

1. My first snowdrops.
4. By the lynch gate.
Edward Arnold Burton has no known grave his name is on the Meni Gate Memorial, Ypres. Zillebeke is not far from Wypers. There are many grave stones in the local cemeteries with similar inscriptions recording a relatives death.
mobertol and davemac like this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 22:25   #6262
I am Banned

Edward was the son of the late Edward & Ann Burton of 30 Rock Mount. He emigrated to Canada before the war, he enlisted on Dec 3rd 1914, he gave his next of kin as his mother Ann. The name could have been added by a relative after his mother died.
mobertol and davemac like this.
Old 28-01-2014, 23:20   #6263
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Edward Arnold Burton has no known grave his name is on the Meni Gate Memorial, Ypres. Zillebeke is not far from Wypers. There are many grave stones in the local cemeteries with similar inscriptions recording a relatives death.
I sort of guessed that might be the case, so it makes the claim that only one Canadian is in fact buried there, correct.
That poses another question, why is a Canadian buried in the cemetery, and not repatriated.
Old 29-01-2014, 11:13   #6264
God Member

Quote:
Edward was the son of the late Edward & Ann Burton of 30 Rock Mount. He emigrated to Canada before the war, he enlisted on Dec 3rd 1914, he gave his next of kin as his mother Ann. The name could have been added by a relative after his mother died.
They would have been neighbours of my Great-grandparents who lived at number 26 Rock Mount from the early 1900's - my Grandad was born there in 1909.
davemac likes this.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 29-01-2014, 11:15   #6265
God Member

Lovely photos again Dave -especially like number 3 and number 10. The snowdrops are very pretty - we are expecting snowflakes today - lots of them on the way apparently! Will hopefully have some nice wintery photos soon!
davemac likes this.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 29-01-2014, 12:59   #6266
I am Banned

Quote:
I sort of guessed that might be the case, so it makes the claim that only one Canadian is in fact buried there, correct.
That poses another question, why is a Canadian buried in the cemetery, and not repatriated.
Many Australians, Canadians & New Zealanders are buried in this country. Firstly because they were born in this country and have relatives here who wanted them buried here, secondly very few of those actually born in those countries were ever returned home. There are several cemeteries near to WW1 militray hospitals that have sections for commonwealth burials, what surprises me is the one at Whalley which was Queen Mary's Hospital, one of the largest military hospitals in the country, yet it only has a small cemetery, most of those who died there were given a military funerals in their home town, there are 55 WW1 burials in Accrington Cemetery, and 42 WW2 burials. I've photographed around 30 of the WW1, and when the weather gets better I'll finish the job, I've done all the other cemeteries, there are three in Gt Harwood whose bodies are not there, they are at St Barts in Snuffy, why the grave markers have been moved beats me.
mobertol, davemac and Turtle like this.
Old 29-01-2014, 14:35   #6267
I am Banned

Quote:

That grave is for Harry Broadley. Able Seaman V226160. Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve, died 1-11-1944, son of Hedley & Maria Broadley of Ontario, Canada, nephew of Mrs R. Clark of Church, Accrington. So that explains why he is buried in that cemetery.
davemac likes this.
Old 29-01-2014, 21:38   #6268
Senior Member+

Quote:
That grave is for Harry Broadley. Able Seaman V226160. Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve, died 1-11-1944, son of Hedley & Maria Broadley of Ontario, Canada, nephew of Mrs R. Clark of Church, Accrington. So that explains why he is buried in that cemetery.
You have answered that one as well, you are a local treasure, you should have railings placed around you, and I mean that in the nicest possible way.
mobertol and Turtle like this.
Old 29-01-2014, 21:44   #6269
Senior Member+

Nothing today due to a lot of hithering and thithering, however a couple I took last year and have been experimenting with in Paintshop Pro, not just how I want them yet, but..............................its part of my learning curve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reflection 1..jpg (323.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg reflection 2..jpg (376.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 29-01-2014, 22:04   #6270
Senior Member+

Quote:
Nothing today due to a lot of hithering and thithering, however a couple I took last year and have been experimenting with in Paintshop Pro, not just how I want them yet, but..............................its part of my learning curve.
Am I right in thinking the top half is the original photo, and the "reflection" is faked with paintshop?
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..