Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2014, 23:16   #6271
Senior Member+

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Am I right in thinking the top half is the original photo, and the "reflection" is faked with paintshop?
Spot on there, just doing my crust in playing with layers. All this stuff about vector layers, merge up, merge down, merge all flatten, it is making me dribble. I do have an assistant though, I have "you tube" playing on my tablet with the particular tutorial I am interested in, and doing it for real on the PC. I have to play it a few times for it to make some sort of sense, but it is sinking in slowly.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-01-2014, 07:21   #6272
Beacon of light

Dave, I hate to say this, but 'Thank Goodness'....I thought it was only me who was too thick to get those concepts. I gave up in the end...well, no...thatt's not exactly true. Something in life became more pressing and stopped me messing about with all that stuff!
mobertol, davemac and Turtle like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 07:59   #6273
Senior Member+

I had a go at adding reflections a while back, but couldn`t get my head around it, layer masks and filters etc, it was all a bit much for where I was at the time. Moved on to something simpler. Your pics reminded me to have another go, seems much simpler now I`ve learned some of the easier stuff. Still wouldn`t fool anyone into thinking it was real though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Castle.jpg (390.2 KB, 17 views)
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 11:05   #6274
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Dave, I hate to say this, but 'Thank Goodness'....I thought it was only me who was too thick to get those concepts. I gave up in the end...well, no...thatt's not exactly true. Something in life became more pressing and stopped me messing about with all that stuff!
If anyone says they found it easy is telling fibs, but persistence helps it to sink in for me, and having a tablet with the tutorial playing appears to be the way it sinks in better for me, that and the repeat slider.
The one thing that makes me go cross-eyed is the jargon that they insist on using to describe a simple idea.
Old 30-01-2014, 11:49   #6275

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Spot on there, just doing my crust in playing with layers. All this stuff about vector layers, merge up, merge down, merge all flatten, it is making me dribble. I do have an assistant though, I have "you tube" playing on my tablet with the particular tutorial I am interested in, and doing it for real on the PC. I have to play it a few times for it to make some sort of sense, but it is sinking in slowly.
YouTube is a wonderful resource - just taught myself the basics of knitting by watching and re-watching how-to videos on my tablet LOL.
mobertol and davemac like this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 12:12   #6276
Senior Member+

Had another go, this was more difficult with the angle, but I think it makes it look more realistic.
Had to ask for help to do this, but that`s what the internet`s for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reflection.JPG (315.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 30-01-2014, 13:02   #6277
Senior Member+

Great manipulation. I prefer to take reflection pics.
mobertol likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 13:09   #6278
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Great manipulation. I prefer to take reflection pics.
Me to, always better to get the real thing. These are just experiments with some old pics.
Old 30-01-2014, 13:50   #6279
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
If anyone says they found it easy is telling fibs, but persistence helps it to sink in for me, and having a tablet with the tutorial playing appears to be the way it sinks in better for me, that and the repeat slider.
The one thing that makes me go cross-eyed is the jargon that they insist on using to describe a simple idea.
I'm feeling better about myself with every post on this subject.
I thought it was just me .
Persistence does help, but there has to be a time where you draw the line and tell yourself that you don't have to do it...no life depends on it...just my own ego.
I might have another go somewhere down the line....I do so hate to be beaten(I have been saying the same about maths and physics for the last 20 years).
mobertol, davemac and Turtle like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 30-01-2014 at 13:52.
Old 30-01-2014, 18:45   #6280
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Had another go, this was more difficult with the angle, but I think it makes it look more realistic.
Had to ask for help to do this, but that`s what the internet`s for.
It is very clever but you can tell the difference between the real thing and the computer generated reflection - it's too perfect I think!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 18:54   #6281
God Member

The promised snow arrived but after 3 hours of thick swirling flakes it turned to freezing rain I braved the weather and had a wander with my camera all the same - the results are a bit disapointing. Didn't cross paths with anyone, even the birds were all hiding! It was bitterly cold and at one point I was questioning my own sanity! I was spurred on by the thought of how Davemac would probably have been revelling in it and would not have chickened out when faced by a bit of H2O You can see some traces of snow in the first photo and there are a few droplets...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9953.jpg (214.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9956.jpg (182.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9957.jpg (184.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9960.jpg (165.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9961.jpg (205.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9962.jpg (165.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9963.jpg (167.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9967.jpg (164.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9968.jpg (153.0 KB, 9 views)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 30-01-2014, 19:44   #6282
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
It is very clever but you can tell the difference between the real thing and the computer generated reflection - it's too perfect I think!
Yes you can easily tell it`s not real, but I wasn`t trying to fool anyone, it`s just a learning exercise.
Fingers crossed I`ll get plenty of the real thing over the weekend.
Old 30-01-2014, 22:21   #6283
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
The promised snow arrived but after 3 hours of thick swirling flakes it turned to freezing rain I braved the weather and had a wander with my camera all the same - the results are a bit disapointing. Didn't cross paths with anyone, even the birds were all hiding! It was bitterly cold and at one point I was questioning my own sanity! I was spurred on by the thought of how Davemac would probably have been revelling in it and would not have chickened out when faced by a bit of H2O You can see some traces of snow in the first photo and there are a few droplets...
Well done for braving the elements,, I remember the words of Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes whenever I look out of the window as I lean over a warm radiator, There is no such thing as bad weather,only bad clothing.

That bridge is interesting, have you thought of entering the water and getting a close up (only joking) wait until it gets warmer.

My days photographic output turned out to be "pants" I had turned my settings to manual without knowing, I think it happened when I was getting it out of the bag. So the entire collection was either totally white or totally black, and was only fit for deletion. It was in RAW and could have been recovered in Paintshop, but there was nothing memorable to warrant all that extra work, well,....... there was a shot of a Unicorn but I will get that the next time I am up the Coppice.

So it was a lesson learned, advance your knowledge, but don't forget the basics.
Old 31-01-2014, 07:25   #6284
Beacon of light

Dave, that is a bit like life. You can have all the fancy fan dangles you want, but if you haven't got the basics then you have precisely nowt.
Photography, like life, is one long learning curve.....sometimes it is steep and takes your breath away.
I look forward to seeing the Unicorn, but you do know that soon they will be going into hiding in preparation for the breeding season?(I'm getting nearly as whimsical as you )
Old 31-01-2014, 16:22   #6285
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Dave, that is a bit like life. You can have all the fancy fan dangles you want, but if you haven't got the basics then you have precisely nowt.
Photography, like life, is one long learning curve.....sometimes it is steep and takes your breath away.
I look forward to seeing the Unicorn, but you do know that soon they will be going into hiding in preparation for the breeding season?(I'm getting nearly as whimsical as you )
When the Unicorns go off to do their thing the flying pigs re-appear Margaret (Dave knows this I'm sure!)
davemac likes this.

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..