Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2012, 19:36   #631
Senior Member+

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Love that sky in no 4. We haven't had any rain at all today, amazing.
The sun was shining on me as I took this picture, but it came across like a dark curtain.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-06-2012, 19:43   #632
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Fabulously loaded skies....love the stones too in No19 you have an artistic eye. Lovely, keep up the good work and the walks are good for you too!! K already sent before!
A bit of our sunshine - though the drammatic skies of Lankyshire take some beating!
Glad you like the views, I didn't set off to go there, more by default, I used to do some work up there about 40 years ago. Splitting stone for crazy paving, it was all the rage then.
Old 30-06-2012, 19:48   #633
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Glad you like the views, I didn't set off to go there, more by default, I used to do some work up there about 40 years ago. Splitting stone for crazy paving, it was all the rage then.
Breaking rocks? -Hope you didn't have a ball and chain!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 19:49   #634
Beacon of light

Like Dianne.....I love the standing stones picture......very Bronte-ish(if that makes sense).
I hope some of these will find their way onto Flickr......The thistle, the slug, the brooding sky (first pic) and the standing stones are all.....well, outstanding and should be given a wider audience.
Well done that man......have a putty medal.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 20:00   #635
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Like Dianne.....I love the standing stones picture......very Bronte-ish(if that makes sense).
I hope some of these will find their way onto Flickr......The thistle, the slug, the brooding sky (first pic) and the standing stones are all.....well, outstanding and should be given a wider audience.
Yes, well said Margaret , "brooding" that's the word... "Heathcliff"!!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 30-06-2012, 20:18   #636
Beacon of light

Yes...brooding with a hint of menace.
We are singing from the same hymn sheet...and in the same church too.
I would love to do the walks that Dave does(in clement weather though)...but my other half gets quite 'twitched' if I suggest going to some of these isolated places....he tells me that it is no place for a daft elderly person to be out on their own(you can see he has a high opinion of me).....I could fall, break a leg...or worse...my camera!
Yes...I would be quite upset to break my camera. My leg would heal, but my camera would have to be replaced.
Old 30-06-2012, 20:26   #637
God Member

Quote:
Yes...brooding with a hint of menace.
We are singing from the same hymn sheet...and in the same church too.
I would love to do the walks that Dave does(in clement weather though)...but my other half gets quite 'twitched' if I suggest going to some of these isolated places....he tells me that it is no place for a daft elderly person to be out on their own(you can see he has a high opinion of me).....I could fall, break a leg...or worse...my camera!
Yes...I would be quite upset to break my camera. My leg would heal, but my camera would have to be replaced.
These days a mobile phone is a life-line - go for it Margaret! Either that or team up with Dave!!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 30-06-2012, 20:29   #638
Beacon of light

Ah yes...a mobile phone. Mine is in my handbag(I never take this or money on my walks) invariably switched off......have had Ł20 credit on it since the beginning of the year.
Old 30-06-2012, 20:33   #639
Beacon of light

Teaming up with Dave........we would be fighting over the best shots.
He is the opposition, in the nicest possible sense.
I think photography is a solitary pursuit. I know I once mentioned to a neighbour that I was going to Manchester to take pictures of the Architecture(and anything else which took my fancy). She said she would come with me. I snook out and caught an earlier bus rather than tell her I wanted to go on my own.
Old 30-06-2012, 20:38   #640
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I think photography is a solitary pursuit. I know I once mentioned to a neighbour that I was going to Manchester to take pictures of the Architecture(and anything else which took my fancy). She said she would come with me. I snook out and caught an earlier bus rather than tell her I wanted to go on my own.
Margaret, I do that all the time. I hate going anywhere with someone when I have an aim in mind - which I usually do. I much prefer my own company. But if I do go somewhere with someone, I usually have a good time - but a different time than I would have had on my own.
Old 30-06-2012, 21:02   #641
Beacon of light

Yes....I totally understand that. I like my own company too......solitude is good for arranging your thoughts....and you can change your mind on exactly where you are heading for, without spoiling someone elses plans.
Old 30-06-2012, 21:11   #642
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I like these cobbles - in Bruges, one of my favourite cities. The cobbles slow the city centre traffic down which makes for a relaxed pace. Thought you might like the bikes, Margaret.

Very fond of Belgium as a whole, beer and food especially!

Cobbles and Bikes - Bruges | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
It seems we are all wrong - despite the k, for which many thanks Dianne.

Cobbles are technically the rounded pebbles which are so difficlt to walk on. Everything else like we have in Lancs, Bruges and elsewhere are setts - and not the badger kind.

Cobblestone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 30-06-2012, 21:34   #643
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Breaking rocks? -Hope you didn't have a ball and chain!
It felt like it, I was out of my apprenticeship, and did a couple of years working for a landscape gardener, as the youngest I was left up there with a hammer and bolster to split the large stones along the grain

Quote:
Flicker have told me my allowance for this month has been used, so should reset tomorrow. I do have a backlog to upload first, but I do have a folder on my desktop I put them in until I can get them uploaded, so they are on the list.
Did you notice the slug, you can see right down its breathing orifice, its wet knees as well as wet socks. Its no wonder I've got withering heights
Old 30-06-2012, 21:42   #644
Senior Member+

Quote:
I don't think we are in opposition Mrs.P., I think of it as master and apprentice, you have been pursuing flicker a lot longer than I have, and it was you that nudged me into uploading my pictures.
When I can walk on the rice paper without leaving a mark, I will then be ready to leave the temple, until then, I defer to your judgment.
Old 30-06-2012, 21:50   #645
Senior Member+

Quote:
It seems we are all wrong - despite the k, for which many thanks Dianne.

Cobbles are technically the rounded pebbles which are so difficlt to walk on. Everything else like we have in Lancs, Bruges and elsewhere are setts - and not the badger kind.

Cobblestone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the term cobbles got moved over to rounded pebbles when they became fashionable, but cobbles have always been the name we gave to the granite and sandstone sets that were laid as road material.

And the term cobblers was a derivitive from the term cobbles. It has its base in the solid rubber tyres of bycycles, and the men going downhill at speed on their way to work on a cobbled road, and damaging the male anatomy.

I almost beleive it myself.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..